Character Creation

Started by keii, November 28, 2004, 10:49:39 AM

When I was making my first character (Who I'm happy to report was killed quite quickly thanks to my own foolishness.) I thought what a good idea it is for each character to have to be approved. That way you don't get any 'l33t' idiots running around ruining the aptmosphere of the game. Now this might have been discussed before, but I think that a system whereby you had to have your characters approved until you had a good account history would also work really well, and it would reward those who took the time to be good RPers with instant character creation. Obviously this would be hard to get, since it could potentially lead to disaster, but I thought it was a nifty idea anyway.
h my God, it's coming back! Again!

Vote! Vote now, damnit!
http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=sanvean

Quote from: "keii"reward those who took the time to be good RPers with instant character creation.
No, for the love of god no.

I imagine one day I will manage to get Sorc karma (I've heard of players getting it eventually ;)). I don't think it's impossible that when that does happen I still won't have a good grasp on certain roles, such as elves. I'd hate for me to be able to make non-approved elves merely because I'm good at various other roles.

Also, it helps catch any spelling errors that might slip past me ;)

I agree with John.   We, as players, don't know how many other 'fire elementalists' are running around in the game at the moment, and if we, with 'fire elementalist' karma would get auto-accepted, there would be a great unbalance with the force.

It would make the 'mysterious and unknown' more known and less mysterious.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Yeah, those are the two things I was thinking would make this system not work ^^; I'm guessing the majority of people also wouldn't support this, but there are probably plenty of potential players who are put off by the waiting time between making a character and playing him/her. Of course, if you're that impatient you probably won't like Arma anyway......

Vote! Vote now, damnit!

It's Arm.  Not Arma.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Quote from: "Tamarin"It's Arm.  Not Arma.

Is that really important?

Vote! Vote now, damnit!

Quote from: "keii"

Is that really important?

Yes.

I call it geddon    :twisted:
he love that you have found is the love that you can never find, because it's the love that is never able to be found.

I play lots of wanderer characters who come in contact with lots of PCs. And I must say the amount of magickers I've encountered is kind of ridiculous.  Just my observation.  And I may not know a number of how many fire-elementalists there are out there, but when there's more magickers/elementalists outside then there are normal rangers I find it disturbing.

-RM
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

Quote from: "RunningMountain"I play lots of wanderer characters who come in contact with lots of PCs. And I must say the amount of magickers I've encountered is kind of ridiculous.  Just my observation.  And I may not know a number of how many fire-elementalists there are out there, but when there's more magickers/elementalists outside then there are normal rangers I find it disturbing.

-RM

Yeah I can agree with that. I've felt the same, didn't know how many there
were out there. Then again, it probably happened because the last big event
that killed lots of PC's I don't believe killed many elementalists (Wasn't
there to know for sure, just guessing - IC info from me is shaky at best
:P). It could be their life expectancy has gotten higher.

Edited: To add another sentence

When a magicker passes his/her 10-day-mark, you can't simply kill him/her with one warrior, even with a group sometimes. There are not _many_ magickers, really.. Only rangers are dying and dying and the magickers seem to stay alive, with new ones added.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Quote from: "RunningMountain"I play lots of wanderer characters who come in contact with lots of PCs. And I must say the amount of magickers I've encountered is kind of ridiculous.  Just my observation.  And I may not know a number of how many fire-elementalists there are out there, but when there's more magickers/elementalists outside then there are normal rangers I find it disturbing.

-RM

The imms usually limit the amount of certain guilds when there's too many of a group that would have small numbers to it. Guess the fire elementalist population is rising.

Bullshit, it's arma.

Like everything, I think it comes in highs and lows. There will be a lot of magickers and then some powerful person will get their sandcloth-panties aknotted and have them exterminated. And then the population possibly will swell over time again. It's a dynamic thing I'm thinking. I think the same can be applied to any group of people...be it clans, criminals, militia, nobles, hunters, etc.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

People tend to go where the players are. If there are lots of magickers people are more likely to follow suit because they'll have someone to play with. Same if people are criminals, militia, hunters, etc.

-RM

I think that some people have this fear of playing gemmed characters too in that they think that it will be boring and restrictive and prefer to hang around the sands and do whatever they want to do. Personally, I think that being a gemmed can be both very interesting and rewarding and almost a requisite if you ever want to really learn the magickal system in Arm. I can understand their point of view though and sometimes players just want to take a break from the normal places. These things go in cycles and I've seen times in Allanak when there were lots of gemmed around and times when there were virtually none.

Quote from: "LBO"I think that some people have this fear of playing gemmed characters too in that they think that it will be boring and restrictive and prefer to hang around the sands and do whatever they want to do.

I think that is a correct assessment.  And justifiably so.  Though I've played a few "gemmed" mages before, I can't understand why anyone would want to.  You are limited to joining no more than one or two very specific clans and if you aren't human you might not be able to join any!  As a secondary means of employment you can work for a templar but considering more templars die/retire more often than not, your "clan" can suddenly vanish without a moments notice.

I'm going to go against the grain here by stating that I think too many people dislike spellcasters (in Allanak).  Mages are a coded guild for a reason, and that's to be used -- not to be ignored and hated by everyone.  There are some spells in game which are useless to the caster but extremely valuable if casted on another person, which makes spellcasters a useful tool to non-spellcasters.  I don't mean to suggest that we all roleplay a deep fondness for magic and dress our characters up as befuddled old wizards that tame unicorns, etc.  But in a city-state where spellcasting is legal, it stands to reason that more people should be taking advantage of elementalists.  And if they're not, then I stand by the statement that playing a "gemmed" mage is an excercise in futility.  It's about as pointless of a role as playing a guild_merchant character (with hopes of becoming a master craftsman) in the Labyrinth.

I'll take recluse, wilderness-dwelling closet mages over being "gemmed" any day of the week.  Give me (and the rest of the playerbase) a good reason to play a "gemmed" mage and maybe you will see the Allanaki temples get more use, instead of so many alleged wilderness mages.

Quote from: "Pantoufle"I'll take recluse, wilderness-dwelling closet mages over being "gemmed" any day of the week.  Give me (and the rest of the playerbase) a good reason to play a "gemmed" mage and maybe you will see the Allanaki temples get more use, instead of so many alleged wilderness mages.

Actually, looking over the past six months in Allanak and without getting too IC I think I could pretty safely state that a gemmed mage would generally have had a more interesting time than a wilderness mage. There are two houses willing to hire human gemmed officially who will then put you to use in their continuing plotlines. Other houses may well be persuaded to hire the services of a mage (of any race) from time to time depending on the circumstances (I can think of a couple immediately in recent memory). The templarate will often find a use for you - it doesn't matter if they disappear as new ones come along after and will have their own ideas. I really think that you will have more interaction playing as a gemmed over an ungemmed wandering the wastes. Yes, you can live a normal life as an ungemmed doing what you choose but, to me, such a role is not as interesting as really exploring the different facets of the magickal system and what it is to be a magicker. As an ungemmed you will learn very little about the magick system and the plots that go on will more than likely not be ones in which you will have much call for your magickal abilities. I could do this occasionally if I wanted to play the "hidden magicker" type role but I think to do it always means missing out on some of the really juicy bits about being a magicker. If you play as a gemmed people know precisely what you are and will find uses for you.
You can't trust any bugger further than you can throw him, and there's nothing you can do about it, so let's have a drink" Dydactylos' philosophical mix of the Cynics, the Stoics and the Epicureans (Small Gods, Terry Pratchett)

Well to each his own I suppose then, Boggis :)

I find two Houses for HUMANS ONLY to be horribly restricting.  And even if there are new templars to replace the old ones, it's not consistant and it's not a coded clan.  It's unstable and unreliable if you're looking for the benefits a hard coded clan can provide.

As far as exploring the inner workings of magick and such, any spellcaster can do this. I might venture to say that the closet-mages can do this even moreso -- since wearing a dull black gem (which is essentially a slave's collar) includes a few serious disadvantages.

Though I see now by your reply that playing "gemmed" or not is more a matter of opinion than fact :)

Interesting discussion.

Quote from: "Pantoufle"As far as exploring the inner workings of magick and such, any spellcaster can do this. I might venture to say that the closet-mages can do this even moreso -- since wearing a dull black gem (which is essentially a slave's collar) includes a few serious disadvantages.

Hmm, any spellcaster can figure out the code the same as everybody else but taking my last gemmed its my belief that I almost certainly never would have found out the majority of things I did by just playing on my own. The code is only part of being a magicker and it doesn't take a huge leap of the imagination to realise that those institutions that have a long history of working with magick would have a lot of hand-me-down knowledge that a solo mage in the sands is most likely never going to figure out without a lot of Imm interaction.

Quote from: "Pantoufle"Though I see now by your reply that playing "gemmed" or not is more a matter of opinion than fact :)

Yes, only my opinion and each to their own - just I wouldn't like for people to immediately discount playing a gemmed mage because of a perception that they will have nothing to do which, in my opinion and experience, is not the case at all.
You can't trust any bugger further than you can throw him, and there's nothing you can do about it, so let's have a drink" Dydactylos' philosophical mix of the Cynics, the Stoics and the Epicureans (Small Gods, Terry Pratchett)

Quote from: "Boggis"The code is only part of being a magicker and it doesn't take a huge leap of the imagination to realise that those institutions that have a long history of working with magick would have a lot of hand-me-down knowledge that a solo mage in the sands is most likely never going to figure out without a lot of Imm interaction.

Good point.

Quote from: "Boggis"Yes, only my opinion and each to their own - just I wouldn't like for people to immediately discount playing a gemmed mage because of a perception that they will have nothing to do which, in my opinion and experience, is not the case at all.

Agreed but it may be worth mentioning to any would be "gemmed" mages to consider their options carefully, as each decision has its own advantages and disadvantages.  Unless you're creative and patient, being "gemmed" can lead to boredom real fast.  Though in either case, to address an earlier point, I don't think it really matters if we have more of one mage over the other, whether there is a surplus of Suk-Krath elementalists or mages in the desert versus Allanak, etc.

In closing, being "gemmed" is just not for me.

Quote from: "Pantoufle"In closing, being "gemmed" is just not for me.
Noone can say that it is for you, however, we can say that it may be for someone else, so giving the suggestion and the potential benefits for those that may be interested can't hurt, can it?
-X-_

> sing (dancing around with a wand in one hand) Put that together and what do you got?  Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy Xoo!

I like this idea.  It could be controlled.
'm helpful to noobs, ask me questions, totally noob friendly.

"Mail mud@ginka.armageddon.org if you think you've crashed the game."

--Nessalin

I laugh at this thread, because not in a million years will it ever happen.  It will destroy this game.

I agree that it's a bad idea.  Char approval is already lightning fast.  It MIGHT be helpful, and take a tiny bit of workload off the IMMs* if karma'd players were allowed to instantly submit non-karma characters.  By the time a char has karma, he should be perfectly capable of writing an approvable app for any of the non-karma roles, even if he may or may not be able to actually PLAY an elf well.  However, char approval is already so quick that changing this is not worth it at all.  Besides, I know it is just nail-biting having to wait for your char approval.  I, for one, am always itching to log into my newbie chars.  But think about it this way: char approval takes 1 day.  MAX.  Mine today took like 3 hours.  Then, you will be playing that char for a couple of weeks at least, hopefully.  Possibly months or years.  Is one day of not playing Arm REALLY that bad?  Also, I like the waiting period.  Gives me some more time to reflect on that char I created and make it real in my mind.  Also, I'm less inclined to hurry up and submit a rushed char, which I might if I knew I could be in and playing once the last keystroke was entered.

(off topic)*Note to players: From my experience with MUDs, I can tell you, anything that reduces the IMM's (already large) workload is a GOOD THING FOR YOU.  That's why the "policy changes" a while back were something you should have all been PRAISING TO THE HEAVENS, not complaining about not having that quirri-embroidered off-white linen pants with a double seam hand-sewn with fuschia thread.(/off-topic)