So, have you ever stopped playing ARM to return later?

Started by Dentrik, November 27, 2004, 06:46:00 PM

Not sure why I stopped playing before, but seeing the culture behind armageddon is making me want to come back ^^

Oh wait, I remember.  Repetetive training I think.
Rei

You betcha.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Yes.  I stopped playing for a while because I had too much RL stuff to do.

What Moe said.

Usually it has to do with not having much time on my hands, but once I stopped playing for a while after a really fun, long-lived character. The next couple roles paled in comparison, and I just wasn't feeling it - so I knew it was time for a break.

No, I havn't had a break yet.
Just take note, I havn't been playing very long and am still an ubernoobie.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

I played for a month or two last year and returned this year with better roleplaying skills.  :D

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

I took a little breather last month because I was busy.

Every night.  I call it, 'Sleep'.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: "mansa"Every night.  I call it, 'Sleep'.

I call it playing Arm while really tired and having a way higher chance of my character being killed.  :wink:

Yeah, but this time i quit for good...wait...why am i posting here?
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

We call it Crackageddon for a reason...

Yes, several times. A couple I quit in frustration, once, because it would be 'good for me'. And others when I knew I would still be coming back. My couple here couple there count makes it seem like Ive quit more than I really have. But general answer:

Yes.
Veteran Newbie

Quote from: "Rhyden"
Quote from: "mansa"Every night.  I call it, 'Sleep'.

I call it playing Arm while really tired and having a way higher chance of my character being killed.  :wink:

Hey...I was partially twinking out at 3am last night.
Couldnt find any pcs :/.
Veteran Newbie

I've never 'quit' just taken breaks of varying length.  I think I was gone for upwards of 6 months one time and three months another.

People just seem to invariably come back to this game.

Quote from: "CRW"I've never 'quit' just taken breaks of varying length.

Yup, I've taken about four (maybe five) "Leaves of Absence"  I am just now back from my longest (almost nine months). And I am ready to get back in the game.
When we found her Marnlee mornin',
Hoofprints walking up her back
There were empties by her war braids
And sixty-five dead carru in a stack.

~ Unknown - Heru Got Runover by a Carru

2xs

:)

Once for about 2mths and once for about 1mth. I think breaks are good for the soul, especially if you have played a long time. :)
 staff member sends:
    "The mind you are trying to reach is disconnected or no longer in service.
If you feel you have reached this recording in error... trust us. We know. = message A-16"

I was gone for at least 7 years between undergrad and grad school.

The game changes a lot in that time.

I think the improvements and enforced RPI are excellent.

Morrolan
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Yes, back in the day I made a character and promptly died.

Then I quit for sixth months.

Now just recently I quit for an unknown amount of time.

Be back later. Have fun!

I've had breaks of varying lengths during the period of time that I've played Armageddon.  The longest was over a year - I think it was two years?  Maybe three?  

Basically, I remember seeing skill percentages when you typed skill.

Most of the breaks were due to real life popping up and becoming extremely active.

I've been playing since '96, and during those eight years I've probably only played around... uh, four?  Five?  I quit constantly, and often for long periods of time.  No matter how much I might play at times... it's just a game, and it's important to be able to walk away from it when you want.

-Dave
Mansa to Me: "You are a cancer to ArmageddonMUD."

When I was a newbie I'd often say "I'm having a break" and it never lasted longer then a week. Now, when I get frustrated I might not play for a few days, but I wouldn't class that as a break ;)

I did just finish a break, but that was because school got in the way.

i stopped playing a year and a half ago and just started up. it was kinda weird tho i was a kadian hunter  and people where new in the house then i got  teleported to the tablelands and i was a ranger.

I'm going through one right now.

Struggling through one, to be exact.

I have the inclination to play.  I still love the game.  I just have no willpower to log on.

Waiting for some very bad memories and toxic feelings to clear so I can again enjoy the game.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Longest I have lasted was 2 weeks on break. It's sad, I need a break. What I have done when I am fried is taken on roles that don't require a lot of my time. This way when I have the urge, I can play.. But I am not obligated to play.
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

Currently, I'm on a fairly long break from Arm, which has lasted since I began my first year of college near the end of August.  It was hard at first, and still is to some degree, but the workload I have is enough to keep me off the game.  So, I resign myself to just cruise the boards daily, skimming most of the more interesting posts.  That makes it easier living without Arm, at least for a little while.

I took off months here and there when travelling around the world for a year and would log on again when settling in a place for a while just to check in and catch up for a bit before moving on again. I've logged on to Arm from a wide variety of places from huts overlooking the sea in SE Asia to cafes at the base of Machu Picchu.

Travelling was good though to get a better feel for what it would be like living in IG locations... the salt flats anyone (if the sky was redder)?

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cianphotos/detail?.dir=7489&.dnm=2de3.jpg&.src=ph
You can't trust any bugger further than you can throw him, and there's nothing you can do about it, so let's have a drink" Dydactylos' philosophical mix of the Cynics, the Stoics and the Epicureans (Small Gods, Terry Pratchett)

Nice picture Boggis! Sounds like you'd had an interesting time!

I played for a  year and a half in 98-99.. went to college.. logged in sparsely from there, got killed off.. came back sometime mid-last year.. so.. I took a good.. 3 year break.  :wink:
he love that you have found is the love that you can never find, because it's the love that is never able to be found.

Yes, I have.  I've been playing this game since 1992.  On 3 occasions I have stopped playing for a long time, then come back later.  Once for about 6 months, once for about a year, and once for about 1.5 years.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

Last week.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Took probably 3-4 6-18 month breaks over about 10 years... oh and a one month break just now for being overseas + 3 weeks so far on an overdue project...

Ya, I quit bigtime when I had a girlfriend. But when she dumped me, I came a crawlin' right back.  :twisted:

Damn Game Damn Game Damn Game!

I vowed to not come back...

it only lasted for 8 months...and 2 or 3 before the month I actually quit.

Now I've been playing for about a month...mleh, what can you say?
Crackageddon.... once an addict, always an addict

I've gone from the GDB for a week at a time, maybe a little longer away from the game itself.  Though at times it is a struggle to log on for a token 20 minutes here and there.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins