Policy Changes

Started by Sanvean, October 27, 2004, 02:13:40 PM

And now that i've read most of the thread here is the "Wizturbo" response on the policy changes:

Quote1) When submitting items/NPCs/echos/descriptions, we ask that you only submit things for the projects listed in our Current Projects blog, located at: http://www.zalanthas.org/blogs/current/ This includes crafting submissions, with the sole exception of items covered in number 3 below. Be aware that it may take up to a month for the submissions to be built. This page will be swapped in for the other projects page.

Seems fine to me.  Keeps things organizes.  I just don't want potential RP to be restricted by this.  An example could be if some super wealthy independent merchant who NEEDS a bodyguard wants to hire some byn mercenaries on a year-long contract to act as body guards, he shouldn't be told no because the policy says no new NPCs.  Just give him generic NPC bodyguards, like "a veteran mercenary" or "a rugged mercenary"  or whatever, but don't leave him to "virtual" bodyguards because of policy.

Quote2) No more special orders of any type through merchants. You can request something and if it is already in the database, it may be possible to get it. We'll re-examine this policy at the end of three months. If you have a special order currently placed with a merchant, it will be delivered, but no new orders can be placed.

Amen.  I just hope that plot-driven special requested items aren't shot down by this policy.  If someone needs a severed human baby head, to send to their enemy in a basket after kidnapping their virtual children, they shouldn't be told no because of this policy.

Quote3) Master crafters can, if their skill is sufficiently high, create one special item for that skill. You may submit only one TOTAL of these special items per month. They should be sent to mud@armageddon.org; please confirm that your skill is sufficiently high in that area before submitting the item, which must include a crafting recipe for the item (which can be restricted by clan). Be aware that it may take up to a month for the crafting array to be implemented.

Love it.  Though as I recommended, having some coded method of slightly altering or adding onto the ldesc of an item for the merchant guild would be wonderful.  Adding a simple sentence at the end of a description can REALLY solve a lot of problems, and free up tons of time for staff.  Add a red stripe on a generic patch, and nows its a "Ruby squad" patch.  The examples are endless.

Quote5) No new clans will be opened (or re-opened). This includes staff and player-driven clans, as well as currently closed clans. This is true unilaterally; no exceptions will be made. We'll re-examine this policy at the end of three months.

I don't like this being so firmly NO EXCEPTIONS MADE policy.  If a PC-lead clan survives for a long time, and flourishes, why shouldn't they receive immortal support?  If a player has a really good idea and gets it started on their own, then asks for some coded support, whats the harm? Staff can always just say no, but if one or more of the staff is willing to help I don't think policy should restrict them from doing so.  This rule also basically tells people "Don't try and start your own organizations, they can never get too far off the ground."

I'd rather this policy was restated, that new clans need to show a long standing history of success in order to receive immortal support.

Quote6) You may request a total of two description changes for a character over the course of her or his lifetime. This includes but is not limited to requests for scars, tattoos, haircuts, etc. We are currently looking at better ways to allow players to administer their own scars. In the occasion where a description change is merited or imposed through the intervention of a plotline, these will not count against the total. We'll re-examine this policy at the end of three months.

I'd prefer to see this changed to one for ever 10 played days on your character.  Its not fair that a 100-days played character only gets 2, whereas a player who has 20 characters in that time frame gets 40.  One every 10 days played is long enough that people won't change their descriptions on a whim, but not so long that players can't show the change in their characters appearance over time.

QuoteAmen. I just hope that plot-driven special requested items aren't shot down by this policy. If someone needs a severed human baby head, to send to their enemy in a basket after kidnapping their virtual children, they shouldn't be told no because of this policy.

What merchant were you planning to custom order that from? I'm not sure which house specializes in child decapitation these days, but it sure would be helpful to know.

While your post was amusing, in case you really don't understand, I'll try to explain, GA.

Let's say, for example, situations come up in which some nameless vengeful people are diabolical enough to wish certain body parts of certain dead people to be made into distinct types of objects. It has happened in the past, and that would be more of a plot-driven thing, so yes, I hope it would be ok'd if it should come up in the future.

Quote from: "wizturbo the wise"I'd prefer to see this changed to one for ever 10 played days on your character. Its not fair that a 100-days played character only gets 2, whereas a player who has 20 characters in that time frame gets 40. One every 10 days played is long enough that people won't change their descriptions on a whim, but not so long that players can't show the change in their characters appearance over time.

Agreed with the spirit of this, though I would change it to a RL timeframe, as one player might log 10 days of playtime in a few weeks, while another might log 10 days in a month. A long-lived character can feasibly go through four major stages of life - pre-adolescent form, adolescent, adult, and elderly. Now the characters that actually survive all of those life stages are going to be rare at best, but all the same, I would much prefer seeing description changes limited by a "once per # months" deal.

QuoteNo more special orders of any type through merchants.

Given that such an object would have to come directly via immortal intervention, rather than specially requested  through a merchant house, I would say so.

QuoteAgreed with the spirit of this, though I would change it to a RL timeframe, as one player might log 10 days of playtime in a few weeks, while another might log 10 days in a month. A long-lived character can feasibly go through four major stages of life - pre-adolescent form, adolescent, adult, and elderly. Now the characters that actually survive all of those life stages are going to be rare at best, but all the same, I would much prefer seeing description changes limited by a "once per # months" deal.

1.  Played days is a statistic easily obtainable by the staff.

2.  A character who plays 3 weeks and gets 10 played days, is just as likely to need a description change as someone who played 10 days in 3 months.  Why?  They've had the same amount of "action".  Sure, age is one reason to change your description, but changing it because you left a city and are in disguise, or describing yourself as having lost a lot of weight to your spice addiction is just as valid a reason.

QuoteWhat merchant were you planning to custom order that from? I'm not sure which house specializes in child decapitation these days, but it sure would be helpful to know.

I actually know of one shop.  Believe it or not.

Talk to a guy named...

Nah, when you have many options on what you can make out of a small twig and berry and you almost never fail.

Id say if you think you are pretty good, send an email and ask. Someone could have a look at you and let you know.
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

Quote from: "da mitey warrior"
A 3 month ban might be alright, but I can't see how this would be a good thing in the long run.  The next Thrain Ironsword would be SOL.  Maybe raising the bar for PC run clans instead (I don't know what the bar is now, so it might be a moot point).

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the entire Ironsword episode was done without the staff ever making special items, mounts, NPCs, or buildings for the Ironsword "clan."
ack to retirement for the school year.

Quote from: "Bakha"I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the entire Ironsword episode was done without the staff ever making special items, mounts, NPCs, or buildings for the Ironsword "clan."

Bakha, what about the time when they placed a siege on Allanak? -- There were tons of dwarven NPCs attacking inside and outside the city.

If I'm not wrong, I also remember that Thrain had a custom halfsword or two... maybe even his armor... but hey, he deserved it :)

IMO, cutting off support for custom items is not a good thing in the long run.  I myself never had a custom item made *I usually steal it* :) but there should be some filters in place that will prevent people from submitting a custom item every other day. I'm sure that it's a big overheard for IMM to create new items every day, especially not multi purpose items that will not even be used after a character dies.

QuoteAmen. I just hope that plot-driven special requested items aren't shot down by this policy. If someone needs a severed human baby head, to send to their enemy in a basket after kidnapping their virtual children, they shouldn't be told no because of this policy.

To continue the analogy along its unholy path, remember to check
first with the staff regarding any similar baby heads they might have.
After all, you might find that the severed baby head on a stick with
bone spikes hammered into its skull is just as appropriate (if not
moreso) for freaking out your enemies than "just another baby's
head" in the database.  Then there is also the triage of baby heads
used as juggling balls in the templar's quarter of Allanak, each with
eyeballs that wobble when you shake them.  And let's not forget the
baby head bola that a Conclaver had made waaaaaay back in the
day for tripping the enemy fandango, and...and...

Ok, I'll stop.

But seriously, though...this is not the first time the staff has placed
limitations on custom items.  The game didn't end back then, it
won't now.  So a few templars and nobles can't harrangue a Kadian
pc and his/her imm for items just for them.  So we might have to
become more familiar with the items already in our database.  This
can only help.

Besides, this is Zalanthas we play in; adapt or die.

Intrepid.

P.S.: I'm afraid I'm probably the person who caused the "no new
clans" rule to go into effect.  *ducks rotten tomatoes and corpses*
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

About Guilds... No new clans, okay... but IMO it's boring if the same clan remains active for years and years and years... let me focus for a moment on the Labyrinth... there are several elven clans out there, why don't let one family at a time take control over one side of the rinth, have struggle for power... the feeling I get there is that everything is static... no shifting of power..... and the Guild has been out there for too long, that's my opinion... I don't think it should die, but just evolve, maybe even change its name... merge with another larger gang, I don't know... something... it's too static. Bottom line.... if you don't want new clans, at least let the current ones evolve. :)

Quote from: "TripleX"About Guilds... No new clans, okay... but IMO it's boring if the same clan remains active for years and years and years... let me focus for a moment on the Labyrinth... there are several elven clans out there, why don't let one family at a time take control over one side of the rinth, have struggle for power... the feeling I get there is that everything is static... no shifting of power..... and the Guild has been out there for too long, that's my opinion... I don't think it should die, but just evolve, maybe even change its name... merge with another larger gang, I don't know... something... it's too static. Bottom line.... if you don't want new clans, at least let the current ones evolve.

Werd.

Quote from: "TripleX"
Bakha, what about the time when they placed a siege on Allanak? -- There were tons of dwarven NPCs attacking inside and outside the city.

If I'm not wrong, I also remember that Thrain had a custom halfsword or two... maybe even his armor... but hey, he deserved it :)

You're right, of course, about the siege. I should have qualified what I said better. Thrain and the Ironswords became an ingame, IC powerhouse without ever using staff help (that I know of). Once they became that worldshaking powerhouse, then the staff helped out.

I could be wrong, but I think that Thrain's player has made numerous posts on the GDB giving his philosophy on feeding and watering clans as a player. While I know that emailing the staff, notifying them of his intentions, was always part of his advice, I don't think that asking the staff for items, NPCs, buildings, etc. was.

I guess my whole point is that it's very possible to form player-run groups that play together, have fun together, get involved in plots together, without getting real, coded, staff support.
ack to retirement for the school year.

Quote from: "TripleX"Bottom line.... if you don't want new clans, at least let the current ones evolve. :)

This is a really good point, and something that was brought up during the lengthy period of discussion revolving all of these changes. In the future it would be really nice to have natural fluctuations of power, and mergers, and even the occasional death of a political organization. So while you might not see this tomorrow, it is definitely an idea which is seeded within the collective staff mind.
vendyra the Queen of Purity says, out of character:
     "ORFL"

There is no mistaking that a lot of effort and thought went into this policy change.  

Seeker notes:

I also agree that PC description changes (both mdesc and keyword desc.) would probably be better attached to some standard other than "the life of the character."  Once every x/months, or every x days played.  Either has merit.

Some clarification on the Mastercraftsmen status might help also.  I read it as a circular statement:
 How do I know I am skilled enough to considered a Mastercraftsman?
 You are a Mastercraftsman when you are suitably skilled.

Allowing PCs assigned to the role of Merchant/Agent by the Great Merchant Houses to have some access to the list of goods sold by that House is a good idea.

I am decidedly less likely to send in ideas or concepts to the IMMs that I believe might be useful or interesting, because I perceive it more now as a burden and unwelcome than I would have been a few weeks ago.

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Quote from: "Seeker"
Some clarification on the Mastercraftsmen status might help also.  I read it as a circular statement:
 How do I know I am skilled enough to considered a Mastercraftsman?
 You are a Mastercraftsman when you are suitably skilled.

What do you want them to say?  When your skill is greater then 80?  They have said that if you are in question regarding if you are a master crafter or not, just e-mail the MUD.  Personally, I think common sense should be a pretty good judge.  If you can make really fancy and cool stuff that sells for a pile of 'sid, chances are you are a master crafter.  If you still are banging out twenty stone incense burns a day still to sell at break even, you probably are not there yet.

I think the people that are bitching need to just shut the fuck up and try it out for a month.
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Quote from: "Rindan"What do you want them to say?

Your common sense, or my common sense, is clearly not the best judge to answer this question, unless you have more information than you are sharing with your post.

Each and every character writing to the Mud account, checking on a periodic basis, asking for an evaluation of any and all of their crafting skills against an invisible standard is probably not what the staff had in mind.

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

I hope this encourages some people to try (or retry) some merchant characters and/or get involved with clans.  I think then we'd have some valuable information as to if these ideas will work at the end of three months.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

I don't like all the changes, but I see it as a "we're completely inundated at the moment, let's slam on the breaks and then ease off in 3 months time once we know how much we can ease off by. If we find we haven't eased off enough in 3 months time, we can gradually ease off a bit more."

The one thing I really like is this
Quote3) Master crafters can, if their skill is sufficiently high, create one special item for that skill. You may submit only one TOTAL of these special items per month. They should be sent to mud@armageddon.org; please confirm that your skill is sufficiently high in that area before submitting the item, which must include a crafting recipe for the item (which can be restricted by clan). Be aware that it may take up to a month for the crafting array to be implemented.
I think we'll find THAT to add more depth to the existing items then the current system. After all, if I tried to submit an item for sewing, I'm likely to create an item #11 of the black pants. By making me become a "master crafter" it means I know what most of the items in a certain skill are. So I can make item #1 instead of item #11. It will also help make items more craftable. "Well I haven't submitted an item this month, but I really want to be able to craft item X but it doesn't have a recipe. No Imms are working on it so I might as well submit a recipe." It'll also help make the Merchant Houses want -quality- crafters. If they can only hire 3 crafters at one time (just a made up example) then they're more likely to hire 3 master crafters then 3 newbies. This is IC.

Also, looking at the current projects I see 4 item related projects asking for stuff where this is a lack of it. I think this is much better then everyone taking up the staff's time on 20 black silk pants.

I just have to say that as the immortal for two clans and for the unclanned, I've had my fair share of requests for objects that aren't really needed.  A LOT of what people want can be resolved through roleplay, and those that can't, are usually all close enough to something already in the game's database.

I really don't see why people have a problem with custom items.  We will still take it upon outselves to make any items/NPCs important to plots.  We just don't want the unsolicited, self-aggrandazing items that most seem to want.  This game is about the roleplay.  Let the roleplay determine what items are needed, not the items determine the roleplay.

kthxbye
-X-_

> sing (dancing around with a wand in one hand) Put that together and what do you got?  Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy Xoo!

QuoteOver the last month, the staff has been discussing what they perceive as a problem: an increasing emphasis on content, and a corresponding decrease in emphasis on roleplay.

Instead of focusing on the inconsequential restrictions, you may desire to turn your attention to the end of Sanvean's message:

Quotea corresponding decrease in emphasis on roleplay.

A real shame. Repent for your sins or forever burn ....

Quote from: "Seeker"
I am decidedly less likely to send in ideas or concepts to the IMMs that I believe might be useful or interesting, because I perceive it more now as a burden and unwelcome than I would have been a few weeks ago.

What seeker just said is how I feel as well.  That sending in concepts or ideas is unwelcomed and a burden, rather then a step towards improving the game.

It just seems that the 'spirit' of the policy change is "Players, shut the fuck up and stop nagging us with your ideas so we can do the stuff we have planned."  I understand that entirely and personally wouldn't be offended by this attitude if it was temporary.  I know the frustrating feeling that comes about when your trying to do something, but no one will give you five minutes without being nagged to do something else.

My only concern is this...

There are SOME players, who do enormous amounts for the mud, probably as much if not more then some immortals.  They submit dozens of great and useful items that expand roleplay (opposed to custom items meant just for their PC).  They develop intriguing plots, and do a lot of what makes the game great.  I just don't want these policies to hamstring those players, or tie the hands of immortals that might be willing to help support their plots.

Quote from: "wizturbo"I understand that entirely and personally wouldn't be offended by this attitude if it was temporary, but what concerns me is this...

Uh, pretty sure this is only for three months, and then they reevaulate.

Please, please, please do not feel like those contributions are a burden. The game is, in many ways, a collaborative effort between the staff and the players. Really, if nothing else, my hope is that these policy changes help to put a number of aspects of the game in perspective.

If you have an idea or a concept, great. Feel free to email someone appropriate about it, saying, "Hey, I noticed this gap, and I was thinking..." Or, you know, there's also always the "idea" command. Just don't go ahead and email 30 pages of new silk lingerie from Kadius's "Naughty Tregil" line before a staff member has expressed interest in it. Secondly, please don't be offended if they say "no". The staff, being the all-powerful, all-seeing, offspring-devouring entities that we are, is in a better position to judge A: What's appropriate to the game world; and B: What's -really- lacking. One of the great -strengths- of Armageddon is that the world is SO huge and SO varied that any one person is likely to only see a tiny part of it. The down side of that, however, is that it can easily lead to the perception of there being a lack where one does not actually exist. The current projects blog allows us to clarify what's needed and focus those delicious creative energies in a productive and less redundant direction.

Please understand. This policy is not about restricting plots. It is not about hamstringing players. What we want to cut down on is, "So, I'm in Tor, and I know we already have a scorpion-emblazoned sword, but what I REALLY want is a scorpion-carved scorpion tail sword in the shape of a giant scorpion with scorpions carved in it and the words 'BIG FRICKIN' SCORPION' written on it in tatlum". Addition of content is great, when it serves a purpose. Addition of content for the sake of addition of content is roughly akin to watering down beer. Sure, there's MORE of it, but the overall experience is considerably less focused.

To sum up: Player contributions good! Content for content's sake bad! Value judgements good! Verbs bad!

More on this story as it develops.