Addiction

Started by sarahjc, October 21, 2004, 02:52:39 PM

Addiction

No I don't mean addiction -to- Arm. I mean Addiction -in- Arm. The other thread got me thinking about it.  I would like to see more coded addiction effects with things like spice and Alcohol in Arm. I know coded addiction is there, but I think it's a very far point to reach.

How drugs normally work is that over time drugs are less effective, requiring larger doses.. and the physical need becomes greater. I think it would be cool to make this more pressing in arm.

Here is an idea:

Maybe after your first 20 or 30 hits of spice, you no longer get that powerful message on your first toke or sniff, and instead it takes you two hits to get it.  Maybe after 200 uses you will need to smoke a full spice tube to get it. Maybe after 300 uses your hit points go down a little with your low message, only to go back up with another use of spice.  Maybe every five uses there on you loose another point you can't gain back except to smoke more spice.

And so slowly, addiction takes effect.

Other  Ideas, opinions??
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

Well...Personally, i like to stay away from spice in game, so I will let those who know its effects well handle this.  Where are the Kuracis?
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

I like it, but at the same time, I don't.  If you want to play a spice addicted character, then sure this code would be great.  But if you don't want to play an addict, it would be a nuisance.  

If it were to be implemented, an arbitrary number like 300 isn't something I'd favor only because what if your character is real life years old, and just has a smoke every so often.  But because they lived so long, they reach this arbitrary mark and become spice addicts even when its not IC for them to be like that.

Addiction and potency of effect should probably be based on age, race, endurance, weight, etc.  And I'm fairly certain that a serious addiction code is already in place, including withdrawal code and whatnot.

Quote from: "wizturbo"I like it, but at the same time, I don't.  If you want to play a spice addicted character, then sure this code would be great.  But if you don't want to play an addict, it would be a nuisance.  

If it were to be implemented, an arbitrary number like 300 isn't something I'd favor only because what if your character is real life years old, and just has a smoke every so often.  But because they lived so long, they reach this arbitrary mark and become spice addicts even when its not IC for them to be like that.

Good point on the age thing.. However, I don't agree with the addiction part being optional. If your PC smokes a tube of spice every game day, I think it should effect how the live and it should be a nuisance. I don't think additcion is something that can be turned on and off without a lot of pain involved.
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!

Quote from: "Tamarin"Well...Personally, i like to stay away from spice in game, so I will let those who know its effects well handle this.  Where are the Kuracis?

Actually, let's not have people post specific details on the nature/effects of spice.

Thanks.

I have played a character who explored the finer points of the tolerance code in Armageddon.  I think that the code is fine how it is.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Yeah well, prove your mother's not a feral sewer horror!
May God have mercy on my foes, because I wont.

Quote from: "Xygax"
Quote from: "Tamarin"Well...Personally, i like to stay away from spice in game, so I will let those who know its effects well handle this.  Where are the Kuracis?

Actually, let's not have people post specific details on the nature/effects of spice.

Thanks.

I was really just looking for a yay or nay as to whether its fine how it is.

Aye twice for addiciton coding.

Even not-addicted...someone who smokes just once in awhile...over a long enough term...will build up a tolerance.
Veteran Newbie

I play most of my characters as having moderate alcohol/spice habits.  I do this to me because it seems kind of realisitc.  If you're living in some kind of "harsh desert world" where ten out of eleven days of the week turn out bad, I would think that it would be helpful to have something to "take the edge off."  

Personally, I enjoy roleplaying this without the need for heavy coded support.  I'm not trying to vomit on sarahjc's idea -- it's certainly a fine idea and as worthy as any that have been suggested in the past month (except for the animal call idea, I really liked that one.)

But I think that I for one should be honest and say that if spice use came with a lot of complicated coded detriments, I for one would probably stop using it in game.  I wouldn't do this as part of any boycott, or to be a dick and try to prove a point.
But honestly, I would probably be disinclined to use it because it would make life on Zalanthas even harder than it already is.

One additional point:

One, I don't think enough people use spice.  Most of my characters do.  At least half of Kuracis do (but not nearly enough) and I"ve only met one other person who recreationally smoked spice.  

I don't use drugs in real life, however I think that spice use should be much more prevalent, because if you lived in a world without cars/television/civil rights, you would darn well probably want something to help you feel happy besides the occaisional sip of beer.
'm helpful to noobs, ask me questions, totally noob friendly.

"Mail mud@ginka.armageddon.org if you think you've crashed the game."

--Nessalin

If you could make it unique for each person . . . ok then.

But if the same tolerence develops for every single person at the same number of smokes . . . no. That'll screw up my RP of my char's growing tolerance.

I don't know, is there a tolerance/drinking skill for alcohol? If there is, then there should be one for spice using similar code. If not, then it should come together, or not at all.

There definitely is tolerance code for Alcohol.  Its really neat too.

I don't know nor would I tell if I did, about tolerance code for spice. Thats something that can be very amusing to find out in game.

Quote from: "Agent_137"If you could make it unique for each person . . . ok then.

But if the same tolerence develops for every single person at the same number of smokes . . . no. That'll screw up my RP of my char's growing tolerance.

I don't know, is there a tolerance/drinking skill for alcohol? If there is, then there should be one for spice using similar code. If not, then it should come together, or not at all.

I actually really like the drinking skill. But I am not sure of spice works the same way. I would really like it to. Maybe not a numbered code, but similar to the drinking code would be very cool.

Just because substance abuse always effects you.. how much it effects you is a different story..  There may be mild side effects and there may be hard core ones.

I like the fact that you cant just drink the night away and get up at dawn to sparr. It takes a while to wear off.. Also depending on your skill or Tolerance some PC's can drink a lot more than others.

Why I think this would be cool for spice is two fold.

1. You now have a clear idea on how you "should be acting" on the spice.  Obvioulsy if you take a hit and you don't feel anything code wise, you would have to take another one to really be "high" in what ever form that spice does the job.

2. Cost.. We all know drugs are expensive.. But they are more expensive when they are habits. You're PC would have to pay a lot more to get the job done, once a habit is formed.  This helps out the game economnics a bit for those of us who play and like to have habits bad habits.

Though I like the idea of taking it a step further and making coded addiction a lot more common.  I can see why people might have a hard time with that. But again, if the code would support it, then cool.