Fear the broken chair!! AKA-Forage Weapon

Started by Malifaxis, August 23, 2004, 03:09:20 PM

Before you flame the bejeezus out of me, let me tell you that I just got back from the canadian border, and they have a major hate-on for marmosets up there.

Forage weapon, yes, forage weapon.  Why?  Because if you put me, mansa, venomz, EbilWoeSwade, and, heck, even Callisto in a bar brawl, I am willing to bet that at least one of us will be able to spot a chair and think 'Hey.... I saw this Harrison Ford movie once, and those things KICK ASS in a bar fight!'

forage weapon..... basically a way to improvise a weapon out of what is around you.  You're on the street, forage weapon allows you to pick up a hardened spike of kank poo and ram it in to your opponent's gullet!  You're in the desert, forage weapon allows you to pick up that old, sharp piece of unlucky guy bone and possibly fend something off!  In the forest?  WHAT THE HELL IS A TREE BUT A REALLY BIG WEAPON THAT HAS MOTIVATIONAL PROBLEMS????  And don't even get me started on how many times I have thought, in real life, while watching my PC's hit points roll back like an odometer at Krath's Used-Kank Lot, something like "Wow, I have eighteen large branches of baobab.  Sure wish I could use one to pound the everloving fuck out of" *bing*.

Now, I know I'm an obviously twinkish noob, but this off-set of forage would not endanger the beauty of weaponscraft because, well, um, these weapons would fucking suck.  What Salarr agent is going to offer you even 1 sid for a petrified inix turd dagger?  Maybe if it was an ornate petrified inix turd dagger, but probably not.  These are not things that any sane person would WANT to use in a fight, but it's still something that could be used.  If you were, per se, fucking weaponless, this could give you a chance to survive.

Warriors and rangers, I think, would be the ones who would best be suited to have this kind of off-set, which would, yes, make rangers even more psychotically cheesy than they already are, but that's life.  There's a perk to being the swiss-army PC, shut up.

As for the problem of foraging during combat, well, lets face it.... all you really need is a glance around to hopefully spot something to stab duder X with.  I'm not going to bend over and let him wail on me while I look under a blanket, but with a little luck I can spot the sheen of the beer bottle behind that counter over there and then leap over, grab it, and jack him in the head with it.  I would see this skill as having very little delay.

Anyway, before I ramble long enough to let my PC starve to death, I'm getting back to the game.  Please point both barrels of the flamethrower in the direction of the Malifaxis you wish to shoot down, and gently squeeze the trigger.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Emote.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

I dig.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

QuoteEmote

You find me an emote that protects you from me bitchslapping you with a sharp shard of obsidian, and then we'll talk.

Please note the forum name is "Code Discussion."

Code = a chipped obsidian dagger

You deftly parry a lanky, eared half-elf's stab with your amazing use of verbiage and expression!

Sorry, dude, just don't see it happening.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Quote from: "Larrath"Emote.

Quite possibly the most retarded responce to this.. EVER.

The point is to get a weapon to have a chance to survive.. Your 'emote' post shows only your lack of a FUNDAMENTAL understanding of what Malifaxis was trying to say.
The rugged, red-haired woman is not a proper mount." -- oops

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19

Diealot - Ninja Helper (Too cool for Tags)

For those unclear on this, if you are unarmed fighting an armed opponent, you have penalties...just picking up a stick with which to defend yourself would be very useful, even if it only has the potential to do 1hp damage, at least you don't have the penalties to your defense that being unarmed gives you.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I like it, I like it a lot.

But these would have to be very crappy makeshift weapons, like the damage of a sparring weapon. Otheriwse you will have people using a shiv made of bone as a weapon all the time.
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

Hold a drinking mug in your hand and type

"**** ***"

It will turn into a weapon.  Trust me.

ALRIGHT CRAP I'M WRONG IT's "BREAK MUG"
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Don't trust mansa. Use the "break" command instead.

Break is correct.
Most small drink objects made of hard materials like ceramic or glass bottles can be used as weapons.  Feel free to bug an item if you feel it should have the program, and it doesn't.
Ashyom

Quote from: "The7DeadlyVenomz"I dig.
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Should we idea any other items we think would benefit from this...like, to use malifaxis' idea, any branch that could be turned into a primitive club-like instrument? ...for when you're outside, where there are few ceramic/glass instruments to drink from.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I think the 'break' command should be used to include chairs.  Bwahahaha.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

How about WWE style:

Break Chair Pink

Room Echo:

You smash a wooden folding chair on the head of the Pink Rhino.
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

I just like Malifaxis's post. It made me giggle. No comment on the content.

I like the idea, and if I recall correctly, the AD&D Dark Sun setting had the very same sort of skill - improvise weaponry. It's not too much of a stretch to think that someone in desperation could look around quickly and grab up a loose cobblestone or whatever and lash out with it. It would be a lot easier in some places rather than others, of course, and it would have to be a fairly quick skill to use (nobody's going to wait around for you to forage up something in the spirit of RP)...and the weapons should be either easily breakable, terribly slow, woefully ineffective, or a combination thereof. No pulling entire mekillot skeletons out of nowhere.
Okay, so that particular example doesn't really apply here, but the visual makes me grin.

Quote from: "Larrath"Emote.

Yeah hate to flame, but you sir... have made one of the least
intelligent responses I've ever seen in my life.

LOGS SHOULD BE ETWO WEAPONS FOR HALF-GIANTS!!
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

You can very well emote while fighting in say, the Gaj, that <em throws chair towards ~personkillingthefuckoutofyou>.

But being able to pick up that chair and swing it at the person while not suffering the unarmed penalty?

Even better.
 wish I was witty enough to have something here.  Alas.

Quote from: "X-D"LOGS SHOULD BE ETWO WEAPONS FOR HALF-GIANTS!!

They can also be strapped to a dwarves rear so they don't fall in when...wait a minute...find out IC!

This is a freaking killer idea

The feral giant shatters his sword on the Rusty Mekillot.

The Rusty Mekillot crumples to the ground.

The feral giant begins looking for something.

The feral giant picks up a torn off Mekillot Leg.

The feral giant looks at you.

The feral giant hits you with the leg of a Mekillot.

Your vision goes black.
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

say (running up on the feral drunk f'me) Hah! Gotcha now you super secret assasin!

Looking around for a weapon to use, the perfect femme says, in sirihish, "Oh no you don't! Let me just get a bottle here."

The perfect femme begins searching the area intently.

The perfect femme grabs a broken bottle off of the bar.

The perfect femme wields a broken bottle.

The perfect feme says, in sirihish, "Hah! Prepare to meet your maker!"

Good idea, but I think it needs to be fleshed out more, because I won't go through this so the bastard can try and defend themselves.

Maybe if it was a one shot, one kill sort of thing.

forage once, get something that is unsellable, pretty much useless, weak.
l armageddon è la mia aggiunta.

maybe not a 'skill' but a command.. that has a 50-80% chance of working depending on where you are.. 80 in a bar (chair, bottle, what-have-you), 50 in the desert..(rock, stick, throw sand in their eye)
The rugged, red-haired woman is not a proper mount." -- oops

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19

Diealot - Ninja Helper (Too cool for Tags)