Fear the broken chair!! AKA-Forage Weapon

Started by Malifaxis, August 23, 2004, 03:09:20 PM

I would say command, as opposed to skill, is definitely the way to go. This isn't the kind of thing you learn...

At the very most, certain classes could have the odds to find better weapons.

Or perhaps just make it a one shot try thing, with an error message if you try it again saying something like:

You just looked around, you can't see anything useful.
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

I like this idea.
oodness, courage, and love is a song. In my travels I have learned one thing, evil creatures can not sing.  -Drizzt Do'Urden-

It might be easier to get implimented if the idea was simplied.

Instead of going to all the trouble creating a data base for each region with a list of items that might be snatched up, there could be a one weapon that is produced by the successful use of his command: a generic "opportunity weapon."

The generic opportunity weapon would blow in every conceivable fashion, except that it would elimate the "unarmed combat penalty", and might even have some include some painful subtractions to skills like block or parry.  

The character could emote precisely what it is to give it flavor and assist with the visualization, but I think, comparatively, this is just plan easier to code and get into the game.

It might even be possible to use the existing modifiers to the "forage" command, at least for the outdoor spaces, to modify the success of the command.

Just to muddy the conversation further, I think that this ought to be a warrior-thing, only.  Rangers have too much going on for them already, and this is definately a "sphere of combat" addition.

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

I think if it's going to be realistic, it should be an everybody command, even a Half Giant has enough sense to dig up a rock or stick and throw it.  

Everyone has some kind of combat skills, just some people have very, very poor skills.
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

I think everyone should have it. A warrior shouldn't be without a real weapon, anyway. Bad warrior! bad!

But really, this thing would be useful for only a few measly parries. It isn't like you could kill anyone with it. Keep it weak, and give it to everyone.

Maybe we should work with what we already have. The break command.

Branches could be flagged with the same 'break' command.. turning it into a generic club-made-of-a-broken-off-piece of wood thing. If you want to really piss the bartender off, pull a chair from a table and 'break' it.. turning it into the same weapon. Otherwise for barfights you can just use mugs.

If you're out in the streets.. well.. um.. run?

That's actually, a much better idea..

although now that I think of it.. a sand-throwing command would friggin' ROCK.. I mean.. jesus.. sand + eyes = pain.. even a half giant knows that.
The rugged, red-haired woman is not a proper mount." -- oops

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19

Diealot - Ninja Helper (Too cool for Tags)

Quote from: "Sir Diealot"That's actually, a much better idea..

although now that I think of it.. a sand-throwing command would friggin' ROCK.. I mean.. jesus.. sand + eyes = pain.. even a half giant knows that.

Not to mention, I'd imagine that throwing sand at someone in Zalanthas is at least comparable to spitting on/at someone IRL.
 wish I was witty enough to have something here.  Alas.

This post sucks.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

waaah, jmortdesky doesn't care..

Anyways, back to the conversation..  :roll:
The rugged, red-haired woman is not a proper mount." -- oops

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19

Diealot - Ninja Helper (Too cool for Tags)