Erdlu's as pack animals

Started by Vettrock, August 20, 2004, 04:03:14 AM

My characters are usually too heavy to ride on and erdlu, and therefore they are worthless except to the lighter races, since you can't pack anything on them enless you mount them.  Maybe have it so you can always mount them, but you just get a message something like "The erdlu colapses under your weight"  So you are mounted, but you can't move on the erdlu, that way you can pack your bag and when you dismount, the erdlu stands up again with your pack?

What do you all think?
Vettrock

More logica than it currently is. But I doubt its worth the change. I can only see someone using an erdlu as a pack mount when they couldn't find a kank, and that doesn't happen often enough, IMO.

EDIT: Actually, now that I gave it more thought, I think its worth it. Its much more broad than just that example. I mean, it would even stop us from seeing d-elves mount and dismount just to use the pack command.

They shouldn't make it so that all mounts are -mountable-, but they should make a possibility so that you can pack items without having to 'mount' your beast.

It gets silly, when a desert elf types, 'mount kank;pack pack;dismount'

I, personally, don't think the change will be implemented within the next few weeks, so, don't buy an erdlu.  And always view the mount before you purchase it.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

A mottled, reddish-orange kank walks west, carrying the short figure in a hooded, blue cotton cloak on his back.
A yellow kank walks west.

The very tall figure in a hooded, pea-green greatcloak has arrived from the north.
The very tall figure in a hooded, pea-green greatcloak crouches down and looks for tracks.
The very tall figure in a in a hooded, pea-green greatcloak runs west.

The very tall figure in a hooded, pea-green greatcloak has arrived from the east.
The very tall figure in a hooded, pea-green greatcloak looks at the short figure in a hooded, blue cotton cloak.
The very tall figure in a hooded, pea-green greatcloak looks at a mottled, reddish-orange kank.
The very tall figure in a hooded, pea-green greatcloak looks at a yellow kank.
The very tall figure in a hooded, pea-green greatcloak unpacks a dusty mekillot-embroidered leather backpack from a yellow kank.
The very tall figure in a hooded, pea-green greatcloak unpacks a large bag from a yellow kank.

The short figure in a hooded, blue cotton cloak asks, in eastern-accented sirihish:
"What the fuck are you doing?"

The very tall figure in a hooded, pea-green greatcloak unpacks a large bag from a mottled, reddish-orange kank.
The very tall figure in a in a hooded, pea-green greatcloak runs west.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

The solution to that is obvious. Make it so that you have to have the animal you're packing and unpacking 'hitched'.

And you can't hitch a mount that someone else is riding or has hitched to them. Problem solved.

Or, guard your mount and have the guard skill check against thieves.  What better way to start a fight in the wilderness.

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I don't understand how all of those hooded figures, Lazloth, lack any dust.  How unrealistic. :roll:

I'd just like to know why people always feel the need to show how something could be twinked to the extreme.

Well, I think this is a crappy idea because someone could run up out of nowhere, insta-untie your packs and run off.  Then they could Lure a Newbie out of the city and kill him ten feet from the gates and then go back to the barracks and twink sparring with the sparring dummy all day so they have uber-stats.

Sorry to be flamey, but we all know that -anything- can be twinked, if we all thought about the extreme ways people could abuse things, we wouldn't have half the stuff we have in the game now.

And, I like the idea.
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

I don't think pointing out how new ideas can be twinked necessarily means no. It's pointing out areas for improvement.

Unless, of course, some one says, "No, it's twinkable." Then they are using the twinkage argument, which is stupid.

I didn't say I didn't like the idea, there are, however, considerations to factor before implementing something willy-nilly.

Is being hitched to it enough?  Will you allow un/packing if the mount resting?  What checks to deflect someone from untying your luggage?  etc.

Quote from: "mansa"Or, guard your mount and have the guard skill check against thieves.  What better way to start a fight in the wilderness.
The very tall figure in a dusty hooded, pea-green greatcloak has arrived from the east.
The very tall figure in a dusty hooded, pea-green greatcloak looks at the short figure in a hooded, blue cotton cloak.
The very tall figure in a dusty hooded, pea-green greatcloak looks at a yellow kank.
The very tall figure in a dusty hooded, pea-green greatcloak stops guarding the south exit.
The very tall figure in a dusty hooded, pea-green greatcloak begins guarding a yellow kank.

The short figure in a hooded, blue cotton cloak tries to unpack something from a yellow kank but is kept away by the very tall figure in a dusty hooded, pea-green greatcloak.

The very tall figure in a dusty hooded, pea-green greatcloak laughs.
The very tall figure in a dusty hooded, pea-green greatcloak unpacks a dusty mekillot-embroidered leather backpack from a yellow kank.
The very tall figure in a dusty hooded, pea-green greatcloak unpacks a large bag from a yellow kank.

The short figure in a hooded, blue cotton cloak asks, in eastern-accented sirihish:
"What the fuck are you doing?"
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

Aren't theives supposed to be sneaky about stuff, don't you think this is a bit of a stretch at abuse? I mean in the time it takes for this, a person could just wish up and be like, "Hey, um this guy is being a total twink with code."

It's just really unrealstic code abuse. If someone is with their mount and watching it, I would say that it's really twinkish to even attempt that. Do you not see it as a bit odd.

I mean, I walk to my car with my groceries in my shopping cart, all of a sudden a guy runs up and starts taking the bags, even though I have a gun and there is a cop at the corner..  I just don't see it happening.

Maybe out in the desert, but then the person runs the risk of combat.
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!

This is of course a lawless issue; very few if any people use mounts in cities, and if you wanted to abuse code there, it's much easier.

Sorry, just not a lot of faith in the populace.  You have the ability to think through a new code snippet rather than just dropping something into production, you generally take it.

If someone tries to steal something from me in the desert, I am not going to stop to ask what they are doing.

Draw sword back

Kill figure

Tell figure (unsheathing ~sword and rasing up the blade to strike) What do you think you are doing you kank's ass!

Quote from: "sarahjc"Draw sword back

Kill figure

Tell figure (unsheathing ~sword and rasing up the blade to strike) What do you think you are doing you kank's ass!

You weren't taking the delay from using the kill command into consideration, kiddo.  Allow me to show you what really happens.

71H/sarahjc>draw sword
You unsling a sweat-stained bone longsword from your back.

71H/sarahjc>kill figure
You miss the extremeley gigantic, large and obese figure in a dusty sweat-stained stained bloodied used new tattered torn worn leather and sandcloth robe wearing a bloodied lacy white silk veil with your stab.

71H/sarahjc>tell figure (unsheathing ~sword and rasing up the blade to strike) What do you think you are doing you kank's ass!
The extremeley gigantic, large and obese figure in a dusty sweat-stained stained bloodied used new tattered torn worn leather and sandcloth robe wearing a bloodied lacy white silk veil inflicts a grevious wound on your head.
2H/sarahjc>
The extremeley gigantic, large and obese figure in a dusty sweat-stained stained bloodied used new tattered torn worn leather and sandcloth robe wearing a bloodied lacy white silk veil inflicts a grevious wound on your head.
Welcome to Armageddon!
Choose thy fate: That option is invalid

I'd rather see effort going into the ability to pack bags on a mount without mounting them.

This would also call for the ability to rest mounts without mounting them, if its implemented, to get implemented with it.

Quote from: "Gilvar"I'd rather see effort going into the ability to pack bags on a mount without mounting them.
What does this mean?

Quote from: "Vettrock"My characters are usually too heavy to ride on and erdlu, and therefore they are worthless except to the lighter races, since you can't pack anything on them enless you mount them.  Maybe have it so you can always mount them, but you just get a message something like "The erdlu colapses under your weight"  So you are mounted, but you can't move on the erdlu, that way you can pack your bag and when you dismount, the erdlu stands up again with your pack?

Quote from: "Lazloth"
Quote from: "Gilvar"I'd rather see effort going into the ability to pack bags on a mount without mounting them.
What does this mean?

It means...   instead of enabling it so that you -can- mount an erdlu or beast that cannot support your weight, you go about putting your packs on the mount another way.  It's saying, 'No, this isn't a good idea, here is a better one, in my opinion.'

Gilvar was just answering the guy's question...

Quote from: "Lazloth"
What does this mean?

It doesn't really MEAN anything. Its stating that Im against the idea, because I'd rather get something that has been talked about and decided to be "Good" done rather then something else that is likely in the same vein and equally as complicated as the elusive task of making "not-riding packing" possible.

to clarify:

Quote from: "Vettrock"My characters are usually too heavy to ride on and erdlu, and therefore they are worthless except to the lighter races, since you can't pack anything on them enless you mount them. Maybe have it so you can always mount them, but you just get a message something like "The erdlu colapses under your weight" So you are mounted, but you can't move on the erdlu, that way you can pack your bag and when you dismount, the erdlu stands up again with your pack?

What do you all think?

Quote from: "Gilvar"
I'd rather see effort going into the ability to pack bags on a mount without mounting them.

Im sorry if you took my comments to be addressing the sub-discussion, which was actually entirely different then what the thread is about. (But ironically what I said I'd rather have done).

This would work better, the reason I suggested what I did is because I figured it would be easier to implement as the code to pack and unpack is already in place, you would just have to add a function where if the mount could not support your weight instead of going return the message that it won't support you weight, allow the mounting to take place, and rest the mount so you can't actually move.

Maybe it is just as easy to change pack and unpack such that it can be done while not mounted.  If it is, then I say go for that.
Vettrock

Quote from: "Pantoufle"
Quote from: "sarahjc"Draw sword back

Kill figure

You weren't taking the delay from using the kill command into consideration, kiddo.  Allow me to show you what really happens.

Um, A Half-Giant theif???

Come on.. aren't you really stretching.. And that the Half-Giant (Karma Roled) Player is going to do something that twinkish..

Maybe a Newbie Elf or theif.. but not a responisble player.. Otherwise please see my other comment.

Quote from: "sarahjc"Aren't theives supposed to be sneaky about stuff, don't you think this is a bit of a stretch at abuse? I mean in the time it takes for this, a person could just wish up and be like, "Hey, um this guy is being a total twink with code."

Even more so with a HG.

Quote from: "sarahjc"

Even more so with a HG.

Splitting hairs isn't really helpful. I don't mean this as a flame or a troll, but, honestly, I don't think the idea that it was an HG was really central to the post.

Pantoufle had used a HG an extreme example, I wasn't trying to split hairs, just saying it was very unlikely. And I don't think it was central either, why I made the post.

I like the idea of packing amount without having to ride it, my point was yes it could be twinked, but so can many things, and I don't think that the chances of it being twinked would outweigh the good in having the code added. In fact, I would find the chance of it being twinked in the example given very slim.

In simpler terms, I think it's a bad example, and not very realistic no matter how it was represented.

Quote from: "sarahjc"Um, A Half-Giant theif???

Come on.. aren't you really stretching.. And that the Half-Giant (Karma Roled) Player is going to do something that twinkish..

Maybe a Newbie Elf or theif.. but not a responisble player.. Otherwise please see my other comment.

Oh, I was just messing around (though that doesn't translate well into text, I realize).