Smuggling - "You stuck that spice WHERE?"

Started by Malifaxis, August 18, 2004, 04:13:58 PM

Okay... without going in to extreme detail, I just snuck a something very small and valuable past some people that didn't want me sneaking it.  It sparked an idea.

Before I go in to this idea, I do realize that Armageddon is not the real world and blah blah blah.

But, I honestly think the 'searching' code at the Allanak gates and other places needs some overhaul... not to mention the insane uber 4 free prompt 18 kick no delay bash dead and still slashing intro combat thing because you unfortunately saved against subdue.  But lets just not go there, hmm?

I would *love* to see certain sneaky types (picks, burgs, cons, etc) have a brachable 'smuggling' skill.  It just makes sense, honestly, to me at least, that in a world where person A is trying to get thing A from point A to person B at point B, but people C stand in the way (namely at point C), that eventually person A would get very good at realizing where people C aren't going to look.

And I'm not just talking about shoving it up your ass, either.  Give me any one thing smaller than, say, my thumb, and I can get it past damn near anyone given, lets say, a half hour of prep time and no elaborate gear.  Take that knot of spice, wrap it up in your hair, and bind the hair so it is relatively unmoving.  Take that steel dagger and wrap up your arm as if it's been broken, brace the dagger underneath one of the slats.

The insta-mega-insano-search method used on the gates right now is WAY out the box.  In a city that big, they are going to stop EVERY SINGLE PERSON and check EVERY SINGLE CONTAINER?  Um... no?

Please don't make me take video footage of me smuggling a live marmoset in my pants across the Canadian border to prove this point.

Anyone?
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

http://www.bergen.org/Smithsonian/MarmosetMonkey/

I always wanted a helper monkey.

But, yes.  I think it would be a good idea to have some sort of skill in order to sneak idems in.  I mean, currently, once you figure out -how- to do it, you'll do it every time.  And the bugs around the code to do that are really cheesy.

It would be a neat addition.  Now, if only there was a more visible place to sell your sneaky spice at, and if it was more profitable than it is now...  hmm.

Oh yes, and a way to combine grains of spice into pinches, and pinches into knots.  Perhaps Kurac could do that for a low low fee.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I'm all for it Malifaxis, Right now, the current ways to sneak stuff past those guards, Well, it feels twinky and ooc...wait, oh, thats because it is, becaus ethe only way we have to get past that code is to know that code and it's loopholes..IE OOC knowledge...should be fixed.

Oh, and I'd like to see the video too.

But you'd be amazed what I've smuggled into places before (mostly jail).
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

There are enough mechanisms to smuggle into Allanak as sits, imho (even without abusing the code).
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

I vote we get to see the video as well, and replace "marmoset" with "rabid weasel."
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

Quote from: "Malifaxis"
The insta-mega-insano-search method used on the gates right now is WAY out the box.  In a city that big, they are going to stop EVERY SINGLE PERSON and check EVERY SINGLE CONTAINER?  Um... no?

Maybe make it random checks? I.E. A hundred people maybe pass through the gates but 1 of every 10 gets a check over the belongings on him - belt, backpack, cloak, and any other container that he's wearing. 1 out of every 100 on the other hand gets the insane check - the strip search, the body cavity search, etc. done to him.
ree as a bird and joyfully my heart
Soared up among the rigging, in and out;
Under a cloudless sky the ship rolled on
Like an angel drunk with brilliant sun.
                                       - Charles Baudelaire

Quote from: "Eclipse"Maybe make it random checks? I.E. A hundred people maybe pass through the gates but 1 of every 10 gets a check over the belongings on him - belt, backpack, cloak, and any other container that he's wearing. 1 out of every 100 on the other hand gets the insane check - the strip search, the body cavity search, etc. done to him.

And every elf!
HE AMAZING FLARE!

(these are my opinions and not the opinions of the players as a whole)

I love it.

I think Flare's idea should be implemented fully, and we should all get to see the video.

(having problem with stuff, double post thing delete pleasy)
HE AMAZING FLARE!

(these are my opinions and not the opinions of the players as a whole)

Quote from: "Malifaxis"Please don't make me take video footage of me smuggling a live marmoset in my pants across the Canadian border to prove this point.

Good idea and all... but I would like to see this video.
quote="Teleri"]I would highly reccomend some Russian mail-order bride thing.  I've looked it over, and it seems good.[/quote]

Isn't it possible to use sneak to get past guards (if your good enough at sneak)? If so, I think it'd be better to update the spice-checking code to incorporate this (if it currently doesn't) rather then introduce a new skill.

Quote from: "Ammit"Isn't it possible to use sneak to get past guards (if your good enough at sneak)? If so, I think it'd be better to update the spice-checking code to incorporate this (if it currently doesn't) rather then introduce a new skill.

It is...but you must to use a combination of skills in order to do that.
And you have to be pretty good at them.  This is an idea on how to get by at only two locations of the game...  and it's trying to let a bunch of people do it, instead of just the rogue guilds.  I think you should be able to do it with a subclass aswell, as stated at the start.  *shrug*
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Ideas..

A) Make it a subset of "Sleight of Hand", namely, palm and plant and slip. Make it very difficult to tell if you did it right. When you mule somthing...you're going to be nervous. Regardless. You might just slip by looking shady, even if you hid that knot of spice in your hair. Or wherever you might hide it. Especially if you hide it in places you don't want people to be looking.

B) Make it available with "Con Artist" under "Haggle". "Whats that you got there? Broken arm ey'..Lets see it." "Oh no mr. Soldier...It hurts real ba...Ow...ow!! Whats that over there, an elf!" *sneak off*.

I really think A is the best way to go with this.

B is just another idea.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Palm and slip are used in order to discretely place an item in or out of a container.  It does not mean you hide them there, just that nobody will notice you doing it.

Plant is related to the 'steal' skill and not 'sleight of hand' (I think it's in the helpfiles, but I'm being too lazy to check...shouldn't be sensitive either way), and is also not exactly related to smuggling things...unless you intend to hide the spice on someone else and then steal it back from them.

I hear that there are several ways to smuggle stuff into Allanak...but whatever these ways are, I don't think it should be as simple as walking through the gates with a particular character guild.

It annoys me in the same way that only rangers can forage food or water...I don't think these restrictions should exist.

About B, by the way...I hope your run_like_ass_burninated_elf skill is maxed.  And it has nothing to do with haggle, that's just trying to distract someone and then making a break for it.

If you want to roleplay it, you should wish up so that the code doesn't grab you needlessly after you explain for half an hour that the grain of spice is under your toenail in your boots.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

I think its perfectly legitimate, especially in the case of "palm", to consider once you are good enough at one skill, you begin to learn another.

Isn't that what branching is, in a sense? You've gotten so good, that you can do other shit now.

Hmm...For years i've figured out how to put somthing under my palm and let it slip unnoticed into my pocket. What about slipping somthing 'illegal' into not my pocket...but....my ass.

I mean...Instead of shooting me down, Larrath, why don't you come up with a better idea, than annoying the IMM's every time you want to do somthing really impossible with the current code status.

wish all Hey...I don't know if you can do this...But can you make pigs fly? Thanks.

forgot to login, that was me Reiloth.

:roll:

I am not trying to shoot anyone down, I am just stating a simple fact;
the 'palm' command is used to discretely place items, and not place them somewhere discrete.

Realistically, it is possible to be without any form of talent in slipping things in your hand, but still be able to take five minutes to hide something on your person.

I do not have a better idea because personally, I do not know whether I want this.  If we have a smuggling skill, every Joe Pickpocket is going to be able to smuggle brick after brick of spice into Allanak, and then the whole thing is just silly.

Like I said before, there appear to be ways to already smuggle goods into Allanak.  If you want to play a scene using soldiers, I don't see why 'bothering' the imms with wishing up is such a bad thing.  I didn't say you had to smuggle stuff in and out of Allanak twenty times a day.

*shrug*  This is my position about this.  Smuggling should be possible but difficult, and not simply because it requires a high 'smuggling' skill.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

I blame thread nilazification on mansa.

Quote from: Malifaxis on August 18, 2004, 04:13:58 PM
I would *love* to see certain sneaky types (picks, burgs, cons, etc) have a brachable 'smuggling' skill.  It just makes sense, honestly, to me at least, that in a world where person A is trying to get thing A from point A to person B at point B, but people C stand in the way (namely at point C), that eventually person A would get very good at realizing where people C aren't going to look.

Can we extend the search/smuggle concept to include searches by PCs?  That would give this idea a little broader application than the handful of cases and places in which NPC search scripts are in effect.

- Make "peek" and "steal" work without fail when someone is subdued and not successfully smuggling.
--- It should be possible to remove any worn item from someone who's subdued.
--- This gives PCs the tools they need to really shake someone down.
- Add a command, "smuggle," that lets you conceal a single container or item in your inventory.  Success penalized for larger items, with absolute failure guaranteed for, say, footlockers.
- When something's successfully smuggled, it can't be found using peek, even if you're subdued.
- Make it a starting skill for pickpockets (who seem to need some love), and branched for other sneakies.
- Skill improves when it fails vs. peek, or when an NPC search actually removes the smuggled item from you.

> smuggle knot
You conceal a knot of spice on your person.  [Also hemoted to room?]
> inv
You are carrying:
- an empty water pouch
- a knot of spice (concealed)

Hold or drop the concealed item to stop smuggling it.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

I'm like'n this idea more and more.
You could use it for more then just smuggling, too... if...
Everything that wasn't smuggled could be seen when someone looks at you.
And the peek command was used exclusively for looking in people's containers. Opened or closed.
good idea?
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

There are a few far more interesting ways of smuggling things into Allanak with out adding any code, or exploiting the existing code, (some of which can be done by anyone) it's just a matter of figuring/finding out how to.

However I do like the idea of modifying the search code to be random searches however I'd say it should be more like 50/50 or 70/30 rather then 90/10. In all honesty in todays terms Allanak isn't -that- big. I also like the extra bit of flavor that having every elf searched adds.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
     -Douglas Adams

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
     -Douglas Adams