Discuss your feelings on the changes to the game

Started by Pariah, December 06, 2023, 09:25:35 AM

I spooked Stanislaw once on a [redacted] but I probably still can't talk about it.

I enjoyed it, though!
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

All story lines are moot, there shouldn't be any rule about talking about events now.

I'm kinda back to the way I use to play the game. I log in, piddle around and do some things to entertain myself and log back out when I am done. Much like I would play any single player game.

I certainly don't play as much as I did before the announcement, but meh. I love and understand the world, and it is something to do. I would recommend if you are done with your character/plots, store and make a fun single player-like character to go explore or try out something new.

Without going into detail, I am no longer playing the character I was before the announcement, just a quiet flavor role that I can log into, change my ldesc to "look like an NPC" and idle around, doing some stuff here and there with him when I need a break from work.  It's quite relaxing.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on January 04, 2024, 10:42:36 AMI'm kinda back to the way I use to play the game. I log in, piddle around and do some things to entertain myself and log back out when I am done. Much like I would play any single player game.

I certainly don't play as much as I did before the announcement, but meh. I love and understand the world, and it is something to do. I would recommend if you are done with your character/plots, store and make a fun single player-like character to go explore or try out something new.

Without going into detail, I am no longer playing the character I was before the announcement, just a quiet flavor role that I can log into, change my ldesc to "look like an NPC" and idle around, doing some stuff here and there with him when I need a break from work.  It's quite relaxing.

You special app for a sorceror.
I'll special app for a psion.

We'll meet up and be friends.

you just nailed the way I always play, only instead of work I'm simultaneously playing arm and a graphical game
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Quote from: Riev on January 04, 2024, 10:57:36 AM
Quote from: FantasyWriter on January 04, 2024, 10:42:36 AMI'm kinda back to the way I use to play the game. I log in, piddle around and do some things to entertain myself and log back out when I am done. Much like I would play any single player game.

You special app for a sorceror.
I'll special app for a psion.

We'll meet up and be friends.

Make it a family rolecall and you've got yourself a deal! ;)
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

In that case you gotta be twins.  Evil twins.  One is lawful evil and the other is chaotic evil.

There were good twins too ofcourse, but you absorbed them in the womb.

So Raistlin and Cameron Majere....Do you need a Tasslehoff?
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Caramon.

And Caramon wasn't really a psion. He was a straight up Guild_shitter

But yes. I can play a handsome and healthy psi to FantasyWriter's battered and salty Raistlin so long as you play a halfling thief named Tas who never steals and only borrows.

We'll take on Echri/Takhsis ourselves.

I'll be Flint.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

This is why I know I have a weird vibe with the pbase, because my favorite one out of all of those was Mina. She might be my favorite character in any of those books, and I can't have been alone given the trilogy of books n the Age of Mortals after that which wound up surrounding her.

Quote from: Halaster on January 16, 2024, 12:42:20 PMI'll be Flint.

Good you can die before the Chronicles are over! :)

Or just man up and be Paladine.

I expected to play out the last few weeks of the game, but that was before the player count dropped off the metaphorical cliff. When I couldn't find the other characters I needed to coordinate with, the time investment seemed prohibitive.

However, I did write a bunch of bio entries, and that was a surprisingly cathartic experience. I felt the sense of closure that I was seeking.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Wow. I haven't played this game in years, but I always randomly get cravings to come back to it. There really is nothing like it. I actually have come back to the game a couple times after long periods of time away from it. And I've really been having it pop into my head a lot recently and been considering coming back and writing up a new character. I just saw an email from a few days ago talking about all these changes and started reading more. I must admit, it saddens me quite deeply to see that I can't just come back to this game and get immersed into this world again. I feel gutted, really. I guess I just thought it would always be around. I really hope this works out and there's some form of Armageddon to come back to soon...

I haven't been here in a long time, and while I didn't play long even back then and am not really the target audience for this post, I suppose you could call this some kind of closure after all this time.

I remember back then, when I first joined, everything seemed so magical, it was janky, sure, but there was a certain magic to it. Back in the days of the full guild to sub guild changes being discussed and I believe before they were implemented, back when there were far fewer classes.

I had struggled with the game and life got me busy, although I did feel apprehensive about the sub guild changes...and honestly? Reading through the forums these days, I feel kind of vindicated. While I didn't quite predict the mundane+ nature of the magic users these days, it seems I was on the money about the narrative nature.

The two thirds of a year of darkness I heard about? Really? Unlightable darkness for two thirds of a year? In a world as already lethal as this? The weird attempt at lore on the subclass sorcerer that basically has them risk annihilation for not even delving into the real thing proper?

The issue was always about the screwy nature of magic user gameplay or the results, but wasn't the solution then not to just change it, as opposed to throwing the baby out with the bathwater and removing some of the magic (pun not intended)  of Armageddon MUD?

Everything I read feels almost like trying to overcomplicate a hard to get into game while not really fixing some of the most fundamental base issues. Adding more without really fixing what is already there, and it doesn't seem like the moderation has gotten any better at...interacting with the playerbase.

And that all is before a lot of the stranger changes in the new model, in general I am getting a lot of vibes from projects I've watched fall on their face over and yet over again. To take the words of someone else that put it better than I ever could

"If the majority of your playerbase is against the current direction of the game, why wouldn't you pause to reevaluate your plans?"

Makes me almost wish for some kind of Armageddon branch off or something by a different team...but I know that this will never happen.

Player numbers are lower than ever, the solution according to admins?...make a new game with a less appealing format with an invite only base? What? And on top of that not really considering the player complaints that might mean what few players are still left...wouldn't actually end up playing the new one?

All the troubles with stuff like Scoundrel...I find it hard to imagine nobody could have predicted what would happen ahead of time there either.

And despite claims of wanting to better staff direction, the tone honestly doesn't seem to have changed from when I was last here.

It's been a sad dissapointment to see all this.

Quote from: Ultrastar on April 18, 2024, 04:51:27 AMThe two thirds of a year of darkness I heard about? Really?
No, not really. If by "a year" you mean the game-year of 3 game-months, which is the equivalent of around 7 RL weeks, then no - it wasn't 2/3 of a year of darkness. If you mean a real-life year of 12 months, then no, it wasn't 2/3 of a year of darkness.  It was a couple of RL weeks of darkness, and people with torches and glow crystals could get around just fine.

QuoteEverything I read feels almost like trying to overcomplicate a hard to get into game while not really fixing some of the most fundamental base issues. Adding more without really fixing what is already there, and it doesn't seem like the moderation has gotten any better at...interacting with the playerbase.
Moderation has been pretty awesome lately. Bear in mind you're responding to a thread that stopped being posted in, two months ago.

QuoteAnd that all is before a lot of the stranger changes in the new model, in general I am getting a lot of vibes from projects I've watched fall on their face over and yet over again. To take the words of someone else that put it better than I ever could

"If the majority of your playerbase is against the current direction of the game, why wouldn't you pause to reevaluate your plans?"

And that is EXACTLY what is happening now. The game staff has put the game on pause, re-evaluated the direction it was going in, and are in the process of rolling out a new direction.

QuoteMakes me almost wish for some kind of Armageddon branch off or something by a different team...but I know that this will never happen.
See above.

QuotePlayer numbers are lower than ever, the solution according to admins?...make a new game with a less appealing format with an invite only base?
No, that isn't happening. Someone was brainstorming ideas. That was one of them. No one gave it any serious consideration.

QuoteIt's been a sad dissapointment to see all this.

If you read the staff announcements and the discussion about the new Seasons incarnation of the game, perhaps you'll see a lot of your disappointment is based on things that are not factual.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.