Seasons Q&A

Started by Halaster, December 05, 2023, 07:34:33 PM

This change seemed like an emotional response, and after Usiku's post it really feels that way. I can empathize with it, but I don't see how it will change anything.

From a Staff perspective, how will Seasons result in people behaving differently?

The invite-only, or a player-application makes more sense if the behaviour is really this bad. I actually love the idea. You will never successfully manage the behaviour of internet strangers.

December 13, 2023, 10:51:13 AM #251 Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 11:56:58 AM by mansa
This thread has been reported multiple times, and I'll need time to moderate it to return it to the question/answer intent.

I've removed a lot of sniping, a lot of insults, and a lot of posts that were not in a question/answer format of this thread.  There are other threads that can be used to speak about your feelings of this change, or what you want to see happen in the new future.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Hmmm.

Well, a lot of us play DnD or other TRPG systems, and those happen in sessions that cover the course of a campaign. In a way, this change feels a lot like that. It doesn't feel bad, just ... strange.

Of course, I currently don't play, so it's fair to presume I'm not thinking about this in the shoes of a current player. But I'll say that the person who told me about this change brought me here to investigate the concept behind the change. And ... man, I kinda like it at face value.

I don't feel like its about changing the world, persay. It's about focusing play in a particular section of the world, and bringing stories to life that are focused upon those regions. It's like a Campaign that's focused on Baldur's Gate, or Neverwinter, in Faerun. I kind of like the idea.

In fact, at the moment, I guess I'm sort of planning to be there for it, too.

Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: Brokkr on December 10, 2023, 10:19:02 PM
Quote from: CirclelessBard on December 10, 2023, 06:35:48 PM
Quote from: Brokkr on December 10, 2023, 06:00:21 PMIt is not the only option that was considered.  We considered an invite-only model, but ultimately felt while there might be a golden period of consistently good RP, eventually it would kill the game due to player replenishment problems.

Out of curiosity, what would this invite-only model have entailed?

Don't know.  Obviously it wasn't a good idea. That is how decisions get made, you bandy around a few ideas (this is just one I remember, the ideate started while ago), discuss, reformulate, refine, discard, etc.  Every alternate idea I could recount from the process would be something we discarded.

As for Staffing, it is kind of important if you want to maintain a certain bar for RP and facilitating that. It may not be important if you just want an unmonitored sandbox MUD where folks can do whatever, but none of us at this point seem interested in that.

Based on this alone, the question is, "Whose game is it?" Is the game up for the amusement and enjoyment of the staff or the players? Making a drastic decision like this seems to favor the former such as having plots authorized by staff and not taking into account what the players want.

After seeing that most of the players jumped ship should have been an obvious clue that the changes are not welcomed.  But it is still full steam ahead, DESPITE the wishes of the players. IMO, staff interference and unwanted interactions are why we got here in the first place, let's use that as a learning experience not as a call to double down.

December 15, 2023, 09:18:01 PM #254 Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 08:54:55 PM by CirclelessBard Reason: Edited out some unfriendly snark.
Quote from: frankjacoby on December 15, 2023, 08:33:01 PMBased on this alone, the question is, "Whose game is it?" ...
Just like anything in this world.  It's owned by the people that pay the bills, the ones who do the work.

So in essence, the person who's paying Amazon for their cloud storage, who's paying for the DNS, the webhosting and all that miscellaneous shit that comes with running this game.

That's who "owns" it.

I sorta see where you're going with the sentiment of, and pardon my oversimplification here, "If the players aren't happy, you should try and make them happy!" And unfortunately as in work and life in general, that's not a good business model to keep things running, someone needs to make the decisions and be the final say, having a debate would just be pages and pages of I feel this, I feel that which would see the game remaining as it did for the past two decades, running, broken and slowly dying.

While I have my own criticisms about staff, I do applaud that they finally put their big boy/girl pants on and made a fucking call.

Now back to questions:

In light of this period of flux and acceptance people need to get over before they will inevitably come back to Arm, would it be unreasonable to ask for things like apartment rentals to be paused?

I know this will eventually pass and folks will come around, but right now I'm just draining massive amounts of sids to keep apartments afloat on a character I can't really play due to the fact there is no other players actively playing.
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

While I might be unaware of reality on how the gameplay currently is, I have a question.

If the gameplay grows to a standstill due to players not willing to continue until the season one begins. Would you entertain just beginning the season early?

I can understand not wanting to get involved into the in depth rebuilding of the game during holidays, if this is an issue though

hi all!  not playing arm currently, but I will be returning for Seasons.  Just wanted to say that I'm hoping for the best!  The game will only die if we want it to.  I personally don't want it to.  I know there are strong feelings on both sides, but I think its best to support staff right now and help them to make this work.
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Quote from: Dar on December 15, 2023, 10:59:10 PMWhile I might be unaware of reality on how the gameplay currently is, I have a question.

If the gameplay grows to a standstill due to players not willing to continue until the season one begins. Would you entertain just beginning the season early?

I can understand not wanting to get involved into the in depth rebuilding of the game during holidays, if this is an issue though

While there's no current plan to end it early, we could if the situation calls for it.  If everyone's stories are wrapped up early and we have no one playing, why not.  But as of now we still intend to go to February 10.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

After having plenty of time to process, and coming to terms with the loss of my recent character that I loved due to forced retirement (2nd time I've had a beloved character force stored when Tuluk closed the first time), I feel like I have calmed down, and I am eager to get back to playing Armageddon once seasons opens. I will say the thought of never playing Armageddon did effect me quite a bit believe it or not. Not just never playing Armageddon, but also the fact I would probably never play another RPI again. I haven't been able to focus on any games, and just sit at the computer lost quite often. Lately, after helping out with the recent submission for Bazaar NPC's, and working on several PC concepts I might like to try, I am feeling very renewed, and eager to help out.

If there is any work staff needs help with, documentation wise, or building requests? I'm available. DM, or put up the submissions and I'll get to it.
Death is only the beginning...

You're not alone Evilone, I too have felt the sadness of not having our old friend Ginka to play with.. I'm sure there are many others feeling the same way, eager to offer our new sacrifices for it's pleasure and to gain its favor.

The email updates have kept my spirits up so Thank You to all the staff for keeping us in the know and part of this game, even when we cannot be.  The news you've shared so far sounds epic and I for one can't wait to witness the changes first hand when the curtain comes up and the Mantis Head is ready for us once more.

My question is simply to ask if there's any rough idea or fixed date yet for the curtain raising?
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

Quote from: perfecto on April 05, 2024, 04:48:20 AMMy question is simply to ask if there's any rough idea or fixed date yet for the curtain raising?

When we closed we said 2 - 3 months, which would put us somewhere between April 10 and May 10.  It's a bit difficult to pin down an exact date right now but I think we're making great progress, I'd say we're more than halfway there.  Our current plan is to look where we are in the middle of April and then make a determination for when we think we'll be ready.  It's certainly going to be towards the late end of the range.  Possibly a little longer, but we're just not ready to pin down a date, yet.

We are starting to talk amongst ourselves about schedules, such as "I'm going on vacation these dates, and would love to be there when we open".  We want as many staff around as possible when we do open, so that's going to play a part.  We hope to have a more definitive answer within the next week or two.

It was my understanding that there was plans to give a narrative regarding some of the prominent  characters that were around during the last days.

Is this still the plan?

And, if so, in what format (one long story, a short story about X PCs and what happened to them, etc)?
"People survive by climbing over anyone who gets in their way, by cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise taking advantage of others."
-Ginka

"Don't do this. I can't believe I have to write this post."
-Rathustra

Quote from: The Lonely Hunter on April 19, 2024, 08:00:44 PMIt was my understanding that there was plans to give a narrative regarding some of the prominent  characters that were around during the last days.

Is this still the plan?

And, if so, in what format (one long story, a short story about X PCs and what happened to them, etc)?

Totally depends on the character and what happened.  Some of them (i.e. the one mentioned in today's newsletter about elemental temples in Allanak) will be part of the history docs, others will have a different sort of legacy.