Seasons Q&A

Started by Halaster, December 05, 2023, 07:34:33 PM

May 23, 2024, 09:15:50 AM #275 Last Edit: May 23, 2024, 09:18:38 AM by Halaster
Quote from: frankjacoby on May 22, 2024, 08:21:05 PMAt the risk of being controversial, will we resort to handing out roles to the same old people as before? I am speaking of the same people who, because they didn't like the fact that seasons was going to be a thing, decided to take their ball and go home?

There were a few die hards trying to keep it going until the bitter end.

There are some players who did stick it out til the end (or nearly so) with their sponsored roles, so some of them are given 'first right off refusal' to play a similar role when Season One opens.  Those specific players should know who they are because it was agreed on with them prior to now (IF you think you're one of these people and aren't sure of the status, open a request!).

There will be more roles than there are people in this situation though.

All that said, when we are filling roles we -try- to give people a chance to play one who haven't before.  For example, if we have two equally great apps for a templar, but playerA has played one before and playerB has not, we'll go with playerB.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

Quote from: Tuannon on May 23, 2024, 03:36:09 AMI did have a question though.. Is a karma review mandatory for playing in Season 1? I'm pretty sure I'd be on somewhere between 4 and 6.

No it's not, but this one-time review we're offering now is the only chance you'd have to possibly go up more than 1 point in a single review.  After we get undedrway, a karma review will be for 1 point at a time.  But if you're not interested in doing one, you certainly don't have to!

Quote from: Halaster on May 23, 2024, 09:15:50 AM
Quote from: frankjacoby on May 22, 2024, 08:21:05 PMAt the risk of being controversial, will we resort to handing out roles to the same old people as before? I am speaking of the same people who, because they didn't like the fact that seasons was going to be a thing, decided to take their ball and go home?

There were a few die hards trying to keep it going until the bitter end.

There are some players who did stick it out til the end (or nearly so) with their sponsored roles, so some of them are given 'first right off refusal' to play a similar role when Season One opens.  Those specific players should know who they are because it was agreed on with them prior to now (IF you think you're one of these people and aren't sure of the status, open a request!).

There will be more roles than there are people in this situation though.

All that said, when we are filling roles we -try- to give people a chance to play one who haven't before.  For example, if we have two equally great apps for a templar, but playerA has played one before and playerB has not, we'll go with playerB.
TY

Quote from: Halaster on May 23, 2024, 09:16:58 AM
Quote from: Tuannon on May 23, 2024, 03:36:09 AMI did have a question though.. Is a karma review mandatory for playing in Season 1? I'm pretty sure I'd be on somewhere between 4 and 6.

No it's not, but this one-time review we're offering now is the only chance you'd have to possibly go up more than 1 point in a single review.  After we get undedrway, a karma review will be for 1 point at a time.  But if you're not interested in doing one, you certainly don't have to!

How does one trigger said Karma review please?

Just submit a request via the request tool.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I am not sure if I've missed it somewhere. Do we know which clans will be open in Season 1?
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

You think:
"No! Please leave me be whoever you are."

You sense a foreign presence withdraw from your mind.

Quote from: eska on May 27, 2024, 09:31:33 AMI am not sure if I've missed it somewhere. Do we know which clans will be open in Season 1?
You're looking for this post I believe: https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,60342.0.html
There's a list of different clans that will be open at the start of seasons partway through the post.

Thanks. I thought two desert elf tribes and a human tribe would be open. Is this list final?
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

You think:
"No! Please leave me be whoever you are."

You sense a foreign presence withdraw from your mind.

I'm very surprised that the vru-rihali aren't open. Although honestly I didn't understand their niche in the Vrun but that's a whole different topic, they just felt like human sun-runners to me.
I make up for the tiny in-game character limit by writing walls of text here.

Is there any public documentation of the Zeif Akir?
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

Quote from: flurry on May 27, 2024, 03:15:31 PMIs there any public documentation of the Zeif Akir?

huh, I came up with the Zeif Akir elf tribe + some initial documentation for them in 2015. I wonder if they are using what I wrote or if they scrapped it all and started over! Hope that does not derail the q&a to mention, I just didn't expect to see that random little pet project of mine from almost 10 years ago listed here as playable when I poked my nose in today.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

May 28, 2024, 12:20:56 AM #286 Last Edit: May 28, 2024, 12:26:39 AM by HazelHomewrecker
Quote from: Kavrick on May 27, 2024, 02:02:05 PMI'm very surprised that the vru-rihali aren't open. Although honestly I didn't understand their niche in the Vrun but that's a whole different topic, they just felt like human sun-runners to me.

I tried to give them a niche as nomadic chalton herders in the desert but they got locked to a non-rotating camp solely in the Salt Flats oddly enough. I had no say in any of that, and as much as I wanted to change up some parts of the documentation toward the end, everything had to be finalized and I couldn't adjust anything past a certain point. If you'd ever played one before the closure, you might have found them to be quite more in-depth than given credit for. That's just my two-sids on it. Easy to sit back and say that they don't feel unique when you haven't actually gone through and picked apart he documentation (that was months in the making).

TLDR: they're the remnants of a tribal conglomeration just trying to survive after their near-annihilation during the Salt Wars (which was 30 or so IG years ago prior to their release). The first wave of PCs were the direct descendants of the NPCs who participated in it.
My brain is constantly filled with the sound of elevator music, as the Gods intended.

Quote from: HazelHomewrecker on May 28, 2024, 12:20:56 AMI tried to give them a niche as nomadic chalton herders in the desert but they got locked to a non-rotating camp solely in the Salt Flats oddly enough. I had no say in any of that, and as much as I wanted to change up some parts of the documentation toward the end, everything had to be finalized and I couldn't adjust anything past a certain point. If you'd ever played one before the closure, you might have found them to be quite more in-depth than given credit for. That's just my two-sids on it. Easy to sit back and say that they don't feel unique when you haven't actually gone through and picked apart he documentation (that was months in the making).

TLDR: they're the remnants of a tribal conglomeration just trying to survive after their near-annihilation during the Salt Wars (which was 30 or so IG years ago prior to their release). The first wave of PCs were the direct descendants of the NPCs who participated in it.

Sorry if my comment seemed rude or blunt, but it was my short opinion of them without going in-depth because that would have felt out of place. I understand that you helped write them so you might have taken it a bit personally (just to clarify, I'm not trying to be passive-aggressive here, I understand how it feels to have something you wrote get criticized).

I did not play as one, mainly because they didn't seem particularly interesting to me, but I did extensively interact with them whenever I played Two-Moons. I went out of my way to attempt to bridge some sort of relation between the two Vrun tribes but the attempt seemed a little one-sided, and after a while it seemed like the Rihali kinda disappeared. Maybe there weren't particularly social players in the clan at the time, but what can you do. I did get a pretty good grasp on their lore ICly, as I was pretty pro-active about learning about them for both ic and ooc interest. I wont reveal specifically what I know because there's a good chance that it's doc-only stuff- But that aside I think the execution of the tribe might not have completely aligned with what you might have had on paper.

And I agree that it was pretty strange that they got locked into the salt flats as a group of herders, with the lack of water and plants in the salts.

It's in their docs that the Rihali are familiar-ish with the Two Moons, assumedly having worked around each other in brief stints to establish territories as well as trading (I don't think this is a big deal to discuss), but my only interaction with your Two Moons was when you asked my PC what the tribe did with their Elementalist Young and she just sort of stonewalled you for it (she may have been the most singular, insular of the entire tribe for specific reasons). I do certainly recall you trying to establish that connection, I won't pull that on you, things just shook out weirdly after release. Eventually I wound up not playing the role anymore toward where I stopped playing in general, not long before the announcement of Seasons. The players in the tribe around that time were.. not very social, sans 1 fairly socially-prolific character IIRC whom I loved dearly. Though I'd not be surprised if your PC found out things that they shouldn't have, one or two players in the first few character waves were extremely flippant with the docs where it says what things you should and should not be discussing lmao.
My brain is constantly filled with the sound of elevator music, as the Gods intended.

Quote from: HazelHomewrecker on May 28, 2024, 12:51:00 AMIt's in their docs that the Rihali are familiar-ish with the Two Moons, assumedly having worked around each other in brief stints to establish territories as well as trading (I don't think this is a big deal to discuss), but my only interaction with your Two Moons was when you asked my PC what the tribe did with their Elementalist Young and she just sort of stonewalled you for it (she may have been the most singular, insular of the entire tribe for specific reasons). I do certainly recall you trying to establish that connection, I won't pull that on you, things just shook out weirdly after release. Eventually I wound up not playing the role anymore toward where I stopped playing in general, not long before the announcement of Seasons. The players in the tribe around that time were.. not very social, sans 1 fairly socially-prolific character IIRC whom I loved dearly. Though I'd not be surprised if your PC found out things that they shouldn't have, one or two players in the first few character waves were extremely flippant with the docs where it says what things you should and should not be discussing lmao.

I feel as if I may have talked to your PC more than that occasion. But I understand how it goes, I was apart of a tribe rolecall that kinda fell apart due to the players not being active and stuff along those lines (which I don't blame them for, real life exists). I think I do also remember the particularly social character you mention, and the moment they stopped playing it kinda felt like the tribe didn't exist anymore, but that was towards the end of me playing that character.

It's a shame, I would have thought the first southern-focused season would have been a good opportunity to give the Vru-Rihali another shake at it, at the time things were a little difficult because the south comes and goes with being active- Pretty much every time I played the Two Moons I was the only player in the tribe. Although all that aside, I suppose you're correct that I can't completely judge the tribe without reading their docs, but I do think their outward facing theme is just as important as the secrets when it comes to contributing to the overall world-feel. It's why I don't hold much value in clans like the Dune Stalkers and ATV, they might have some super interesting secrets, but if they're insular and don't interact with the rest of the world, the secrets might as well not exist (and to clarify, I don't think the Vru-Rihali is even anywhere near as bad as the iso-clans.)

With focus shifting to agent branches of GMH rather than merchant branches, will clans other than GMH or indies be able to mastercraft amazing quality gear? Or will this still be GMH only?

Quote from: AKawaiiBear on May 28, 2024, 03:49:28 AMWith focus shifting to agent branches of GMH rather than merchant branches, will clans other than GMH or indies be able to mastercraft amazing quality gear? Or will this still be GMH only?

That's not changing, it's still only House Salarr who can craft amazing quality weapons in all weapon types.  Each tribal group has one specialty weapon type that they can craft to amazing.

Quote from: flurry on May 27, 2024, 03:15:31 PMIs there any public documentation of the Zeif Akir?

I don't think we've finalized the public facing help file just yet for the ZA, but here is a quick blurb about them. Also, to answer LM's question : we started with Eukelade's initital tribe foundation and built it out from there.

A Unique Family Above

The Zeif Akir, affectionately known as the Bug Elves of Allanak, are not a tribe in the traditional sense but a sprawling family of city elves who have made their homes atop the rooftops of Allanak's southern Commoner's Quarter. This family, a motley assemblage of individuals from diverse backgrounds, thrives in a communal existence centered around the capture, breeding, and trading of insects. Their society, while fluid and accepting, is bound by a common identity and a shared reverence for the resilience and versatility of insects.

Very cool. Thanks for sharing that.

May 29, 2024, 12:40:27 PM #294 Last Edit: May 29, 2024, 12:44:37 PM by AKawaiiBear
Does being in the tavern clan forbid you from being in other clans at the same time?
Obviously not clans with schedules like the bynn or militia, I'm thinking more craft related things, like house employees/hunters or aides, or heck, even celf tribes.

Quote from: Enthemu on May 28, 2024, 08:31:02 AM

I don't think we've finalized the public facing help file just yet for the ZA, but here is a quick blurb about them. Also, to answer LM's question : we started with Eukelade's initital tribe foundation and built it out from there.

A Unique Family Above

The Zeif Akir, affectionately known as the Bug Elves of Allanak, are not a tribe in the traditional sense but a sprawling family of city elves who have made their homes atop the rooftops of Allanak's southern Commoner's Quarter. This family, a motley assemblage of individuals from diverse backgrounds, thrives in a communal existence centered around the capture, breeding, and trading of insects. Their society, while fluid and accepting, is bound by a common identity and a shared reverence for the resilience and versatility of insects.

I think in honor of the upcoming world event, we should have a new insect that the Zeif Akir care for and trade: the cicada.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Will GMH operations be limited to the Expansion Divisions and hunting for metal?  Will there still be room for artisans and crafter types to move into merchant positions?

If so, who will do the hiring?
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

If a player wants to be considered for a sponsored role but has a different special app in mind if the sponsored role app isn't selected, can they apply for both starting today? Or is there a different way you'd want them to proceed?

Quote from: flurry on June 01, 2024, 02:34:16 PMIf a player wants to be considered for a sponsored role but has a different special app in mind if the sponsored role app isn't selected, can they apply for both starting today? Or is there a different way you'd want them to proceed?

Yes.  Special Applications are good for 6 months, meaning once it's approved you don't have to start right away, you have up to 6 months to start it.

Quote from: Norcal on June 01, 2024, 12:36:43 PMWill GMH operations be limited to the Expansion Divisions and hunting for metal?  Will there still be room for artisans and crafter types to move into merchant positions?

If so, who will do the hiring?

GMH Operations are beginning play at launch with Expansion Division (House Salarr) and Mobile Operations (House Kurac). Both House Salarr and Kurac will hire crafters; they will start in those respective organizations, likely assisting with whatever tasks need doing. As they show more proclivity for crafting, they can be transferred to the Mercantile Branch.

From there, the Merchant Branch of each House can organically grow around player interest/interaction. A crafter can eventually become a Junior Merchant, a Merchant, and so on.

In this way, we are beginning play focused on the Agent Branch and politics and all that goes along with that; however, we are aware many players of the game enjoy crafting and the merchant side of things, so we are leaving that door open for people who want to engage with it.
Eurynomos
Senior Storyteller
ArmageddonMUD Staff