Feedback - Sheaths are weird compared to belts

Started by Pariah, December 20, 2022, 06:25:55 PM

So everyone who plays this game knows you can wear two things on your belt, that's what fits, those two things could be two weapons, a utility item like a quiver or any combination of other things that fill the ON BELT slot.

What's weird about it, is if you default type Sheath Sword, you'll sheath your sword on your belt normally.

But if you're wearing a sheath, you have to:

Sheath knife sheath
Sheath knife bandolier
(And honestly that makes sense, cause you need to tell the game where you're putting it right?)

But where it gets slightly annoying is you have to do:
draw skinning sheath
draw tomahawk bandolier etc etc

(I'm going to make some wild assumptions based on my limited knowledge of code, so don't freak out on me.)

Now assuming that there are variable in the game and those variables are tired to characters, why isn't there one that when you type sheath skinning sheath, it remembers that the sdesc of "skinning" is sheathed in the sdesc of "Sheath".

Then you can just type draw skinning and the game goes, "Oh that's saved in this spot, here you go."  Or maybe put the variable on the skinning knife itself, so if you type sheath skinning, it knows last time it was put in 1.sheath or whatever and automagickally tries to sheath there again.

Again, I'm sure there are glaring holes in however this game is coded I might not be thinking of, but from a theoretical side, it seems like it would be pretty easy, I'm betting chatgpt could pump out some code for it heh.

Just always been weird the whole, slides in and out of a sheath message, brandishes message instead of just draw from your belt like belt based drawing too.

I dunno, anyone know why it's the way it is?
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

draw skinning.knife.obsidian sheath
draw bone.longknife.yellow sheath
draw longsword.baobab sheath etwo
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

December 20, 2022, 08:21:22 PM #2 Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 08:24:28 PM by Pariah
Quote from: mansa on December 20, 2022, 08:18:00 PM
draw skinning.knife.obsidian sheath
draw bone.longknife.yellow sheath
draw longsword.baobab sheath etwo

I'm aware you can specify what you're drawing and how you're holding it.  I was talking about potentially just being able to draw without the use of SHEATH or sheathitem.

Like draw bone.longknife
draw longsword.baobab

The sheath is the wonky part of the equation.

I don't have to do.

Draw longsword belt
Draw scimitar belt
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

Neat idea but question:
Why are you typing sheath and draw anyway instead of some two or three letter alias?

Quote from: Agent_137 on December 20, 2022, 08:28:03 PM
Neat idea but question:
Why are you typing sheath and draw anyway instead of some two or three letter alias?
I suppose I could, but I try to keep the game pretty manual, just feels like cheating to have a bunch of aliases or triggers.

I get that I could.  I also struggle with this with magick, I could easily just alias mon thinger thing me sp1 or something but I like to type the whole spell out.

Weapons are definitely one of the places I use in game alias.

ss == sheath sword
dk == draw knife sheath

I'd argue using an in game feature for it's intended use is probably not cheating.
21sters Unite!

Because the js is on the sheath obj, so the sheath obj has to be referenced.