Lumberjack Changes Questions

Started by mansa, May 19, 2022, 12:47:02 PM

Quote from: Fredd on May 20, 2022, 02:56:45 PM
What if the lumberjacking skill could be used somehting like the forage skill to find suitable trees in the forest. it would reveal one that could be cut.  And if the area has been over harvested, return an echo that says you need to let the trees in the area grow a bit more?

This would mean staff wouldn't need to put in individual trees, unless that tree is rare enough to warrant it. Which might help that side of things too. And it makes it all feel a bit more immersive imho.

So what is awesome here, we discussed this but it still lends to players just sitting in one room, foraging till they get what they want, then chopping it down.  I get your point, but the idea here is that you are looking of trees.  Trees will be visible from multiple rooms away depend on size.  Also if we get complaints that we cannot find agafari or baobab that easily, it's VERY easy for us to tweak what we're doing to spawn more.

What I really like about this system we're using, the system will restore and maintain.  Which will let us simulate over foresting in a way because if you chop trees down in your area, others will spawn in different places.  So over time, if an area is utilized too much, it will simulate over harvesting.  Now, this is going to be rare with the common trees, but more applicable for the rarer trees.  Sadly though this only lasts till reboot though.

Quote from: cali on May 20, 2022, 03:23:54 PM
As of now there is a shit ton of tree objects. If you can't find a tree then you aren't even trying.

And we've yet to actually put everything in that will be in the first batch AND tweak existing numbers.

Quote from: lostinspace on May 20, 2022, 04:08:09 PM
Probably out of scope, but would be cool if there was a Floristry craft that pruned a branch cutting from a recently felled tree that could be grown into another tree when planted elsewhere.

Neat idea to be honest, but this is something we could potentially support via staff actions.  Put in a report and see?  Cannot promise, but yeah... something like this would be significant to code and would be a separate project.
Ourla:  You're like the oil paint on the canvas of evil.

One other idea. Can chopping weapon skill impact the skill-check to cut down a tree?

1. Lumberjacking skill - largest impact
2. Strength - medium impact
3. Chopping weapon skill - small impact
3. A small bit of random luck - small impact
3/21/16 Never Forget

Now that the first five trees have been implemented, is it working as designed?
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on June 13, 2022, 08:37:18 PM
Now that the first five trees have been implemented, is it working as designed?

Yeah, we haven't received all that much feedback, so either no one is playing lumberjacks or most people are "fine" with the new system.  We did make the basic cooking crafts to be a bit easier based on one person's feedback.  I did play an npc who went with some PC's to gather some logs and I was pleased with the way it went.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev