Remove/Lower the blasted Karma regen timer. q

Started by mirk_o_loio, November 18, 2020, 08:52:34 PM

After climbing to a comfortable place in the Karma ladder, I think we should do away with it and opt for direct application or rolecall for all the karma situations. It would comfortably keep certain clans stocked and prevent everyone running around as a secret magick user. Either the only thing that should require karma is the extended subguilds or they should just replace subguilds because none of them are gamebreaking by any means.

I spent roughly three years playing before I realized I should be trying to pin up goodboy points if I wanted to play anything other than Joe Blow. Proof that new players will be so lost in the sauce of the learning curve karma will fall by the wayside.
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

It would be neat if the karma timer operated on a combination of time played and time since last karma regen.
As someone with literally no experience spending karma I think ~five days played would be fair to regen a point of karma and then also reset the karma regen timer.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on January 09, 2021, 03:22:55 PM
Crazy idea: every account starts with 1 karma.  Adjust max karma to 4.  Add +1 karma requirement to all magick subclasses and current karma races.  Make dwarves, elves, and half-elves cost 1 karma.

Goals:
*Lets newbies play with the extended (mundane) subguilds.
*Makes newbies think harder (and hopefully read docs) before running a non-human.
*Makes magickers a bit rarer.
*Maybe adjusts the PC racial demographics closer to documented.

I like it. Also shows that playing non-human races is a matter of baseline trust in your RP too.

January 10, 2021, 08:09:34 AM #28 Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 04:27:05 PM by Harmless
This "entitled veteran" has played 10+ years. Karma one is something I earned extremely quickly, far quick enough not to have felt bad. Special apps empowered me on the few times I needed 2 karma for stuff. Sittin at 2 karma after 10 years and have been here at 2 for a long time. I ain't getting and I am not getting karma 3 unless I grind out some annoying leadership roles, but fuck that. Leading you people is a tremendous pain in the ass, I would never ruin my game experience by making it into a job so I will stay at 2 karma indefinitely and I am fine with that too.

I don't care about karma except that years and years ago, I got enough to have access to whatever I need and have been sitting at that balance ever since.

If I wanted I could start ranting and raving about how unfair it is for the game/staff to require me to lead to get max karma but I won't because I know how utterly entitled THAT would sound like, when there are people with less. Therefore, just enjoy all the roles you have and learn and you will get to middling karma like mine in no time. Hell, everyone here bitching about entitlement is prolly gonna have more karma than me in ONE YEAR, so pfffft.

Edited to add: the idea to just open up all ESG to people by adjusting the karma scale to 4 as Moe suggests above and setting the default karma to 1 is fine by me also
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Well said, Harmless. I once cared for karma and wanted karma walled roles but I learned that they are not for me. Two points is enough for me.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: SpyGuy on January 10, 2021, 03:04:07 AM
Quote from: Marauder Moe on January 09, 2021, 03:22:55 PM
Crazy idea: every account starts with 1 karma.  Adjust max karma to 4.  Add +1 karma requirement to all magick subclasses and current karma races.  Make dwarves, elves, and half-elves cost 1 karma.

Goals:
*Lets newbies play with the extended (mundane) subguilds.
*Makes newbies think harder (and hopefully read docs) before running a non-human.
*Makes magickers a bit rarer.
*Maybe adjusts the PC racial demographics closer to documented.

I like it. Also shows that playing non-human races is a matter of baseline trust in your RP too.
I don't mind this. Having that extra karma point would also allow a player who's terrible to be punished without being banned. And yeah, having the extended sub guilds available to everyone bothers me not at all.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: Harmless on January 10, 2021, 08:09:34 AM
... how unfair it is for the game/staff to require me to lead to get max karma

Is that written down anywhere? I recall there being seven karma categories and leadership being only one of those 7. You could easily pick up some of the others to be recognized. For example, I'm pretty certain I've never gotten the "understanding of Magick" karma.
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

Quote from: gotdamnmiracle on January 10, 2021, 04:35:06 PM
Quote from: Harmless on January 10, 2021, 08:09:34 AM
... how unfair it is for the game/staff to require me to lead to get max karma

Is that written down anywhere? I recall there being seven karma categories and leadership being only one of those 7. You could easily pick up some of the others to be recognized. For example, I'm pretty certain I've never gotten the "understanding of Magick" karma.

I've never apped a role, leadership or otherwise.
I've never played a magic user since karma came into existence.
I've never been on staff in any capacity.

I have 3 karma.

It is possibly, but I will grant it was pretty difficult.

As a minor aside...I hate playing humans on games.  I play them on Arm (because there are perks!), but when I looked into Arm, being able to play non-human was the draw.  So I app'd a breed after a cursory skim of the docs.  Was it a good breed, nope!  But would I have bothered if I HAD to play human?  Also no.  I have passed over countless games that only had humans/newbie options were limited to humans.

So...if you push non-humans to 1 karma and give everyone a point, I don't mind (or care...the one time I was torn between a subguild and an extended subguild, and so looked into it, the subguild had more perks to the point that I wondered why anyone would pick the ESG!).

But don't price them out of newbie reach entirely...just in case that comes up later in this thread.

Thanks for reading my PSA ;D
Previous of note: Kaevya the blind Tor Scorpion, Kaloraynai 'Raynai' the beetle Ruk, Korenyire of SLK, Koal 'Kick' the hooved Whiran, Kocadici/Dici/Glimmer, Koefaxine the giant Oashi 'Aide', Kosmia 'Grit' the rinthi
Current: Like I'd tell you.

I only have one karma and honestly where I am at is good for me right now. I'm not sure I'll ever play a leadership role, it's just not something I think I'd be good at, and I'm okay with that. I honestly care more about having access to the extended subguilds, not even looking at any type of magick subclass yet. Some of the non-magick extended subguilds look awesome! But I'm pretty basic, and mostly end up playing basic vanilla non-karma costing characters. I do my best with what I got  ;D

Which ultimately may not be all that great, but I'm trying and I'm having fun, which I think is the most important thing?
The naked chubby winged halfling flaps its wings and blows you a kiss!

Quote from: Fernandezj on January 09, 2021, 11:23:22 AM
This post reeks of veteran entitlement. I don't have any karma and only a few characters.
A bunch of us try our best to manage with the mundane subguilds a bunch of you cannot even apparently deign to play.
Stop whining, please, its very toxic.

Whose whining? And the best PCs are mundanes. I know. My best/most successful PC was mundane playing on hard mode.
Czar of City Elves.

Quote from: Shaydee on January 11, 2021, 09:37:48 AM
Which ultimately may not be all that great, but I'm trying and I'm having fun, which I think is the most important thing?

Yup.  Having fun, that's what it's all about.   :) 

Also I agree with Dakota.   Being a magicker doesn't make for a better story.

My longest lived character to date was a karma 0 Laborer - Linguist.

A lotta good times and interactions with that character.

I wasn't even close to ready when his story ended.

~78 days played as I recall.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Quote from: SpyGuy on January 11, 2021, 10:04:02 AM
Quote from: Shaydee on January 11, 2021, 09:37:48 AM

Yup.  Having fun, that's what it's all about.   :) 

Also I agree with Dakota.   Being a magicker doesn't make for a better story.

I'd even go further and say it tends to make it worse b/c you're beholden to a LOT of RP handcuffs, code stuff, and way more limits. Now a few (half?) of those limits are gone via the class revamp, but still.

In effect, you're kinda boned if you're a magicker if you compare what opportunities a fresh mundane has.
Czar of City Elves.

Quote from: DesertT on January 11, 2021, 12:33:02 PM
My longest lived character to date was a karma 0 Laborer - Linguist.

A lotta good times and interactions with that character.

I wasn't even close to ready when his story ended.

~78 days played as I recall.

Right? My longest lived was a miscreant linguist and to top it off, one of her stats was POOR. But it was a great time. I mean I was no where near that length of time played, but still.

Honestly I'm still not over her story being cut short  :'(.

Point being though, non-karma characters can be tons of fun, I think it's all about one's mindset.
The naked chubby winged halfling flaps its wings and blows you a kiss!

I'm sure its been mentioned, but you can also use karma to give bumps to your starting skills.

Its entirely possible to play a "mundane" character that uses 3 karma because you aren't interested in spending 10d played trying to get your slashing up.

Its not just about playing magickers back to back.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on January 11, 2021, 02:58:13 PM
I'm sure its been mentioned, but you can also use karma to give bumps to your starting skills.

Its entirely possible to play a "mundane" character that uses 3 karma because you aren't interested in spending 10d played trying to get your slashing up.

I believe you can use a special application for this, not karma, per se.
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

Quote from: Veselka on January 11, 2021, 03:47:38 PM
Quote from: Riev on January 11, 2021, 02:58:13 PM

I believe you can use a special application for this, not karma, per se.

It's once every 30 days, and it's a Ext.Subguild / Skill Bump Spec. App. in the request tool.  Though it does point to https://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Special%20Applications for more details.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Okay I checked my last account notes from years ago and actually the kind staffer mentioned I can also do regular communication/reports as a non leader to get to the next karma level.

I will continue to just file reports when I can and we will see but I am not stressing about it.

Anyway i am still not upset at all at this karma system, that was my point
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

I believe the karma timer should be set up like so:

I have 3 Karma:
1. I make a Whiran Tempest and die after 1 day played
   - Whiran Tempest option is gone for 90 days
2. I can make the other 3/2/1 karma options.

The end.

Quote from: Wedi on January 19, 2021, 01:56:15 PM

I have 3 Karma:

The end.

Interesting take.  I like it.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Quote from: Dan on January 19, 2021, 02:05:29 PM

I have 3 Karma:

The end.

Interesting take.  I like it.

I prefer the idea of reworking the system so that you simply cannot play the same character types back to back. I know that is not an appealing option for some players, but I feel like it would lessen the idea that the game feels overcrowded with certain character types.

Time given to the karma regen adds depth to the balance needed to get the most out of Arm.

After giving this more consideration...I think that ALL karma should regen after 30 days.

Spent 1 spent 3...30 days, good to go. I do not see as that hurts anything and I think it overall helps. Most anybody I know, if they spend 3 karma and that PC dies 4 days later...they are perfectly willing to not play for 90 days...this I think is actually bad for the game.

Even myself...(it has never happened) But if I lost a high karma PC in a few days...mech warrior online for two to three months NP...If I come back at all.

In short 1 karma regen per month is bad for the game world.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I have 3 Karma:

The end.

This is my favorite option. Even if it was, 3 karma gicks were off the table for 90 days. To prevent someone from just rotating through the 3-karma magickers. But still lets them app a mul if they really want.

But I personally think that if people are abusing their karma to a degree that caused these timers to exist ... Maybe they shouldn't have had the karma in the first place.
21sters Unite!