Release Note discussion!

Started by Riev, January 16, 2017, 10:32:07 AM

Quote from: Brokkr on May 03, 2022, 04:19:34 PM
Except there actually was an issue, in that the value of liquids had nothing to do with the liquid, just the container it was in.  Which isn't a problem if you only sell the containers full of the liquid, but is a problem when merchants are buying back empty containers (with the same exact base cost values they had when they were getting sold full).

It may not have been an issue that impacted you much, but it was an issue.

Is that part of the change that was done?

Now if I sell different drinks in the same container they will cost different amounts?
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

The change was that the liquids themselves now have a cost per unit.  The stuff Shalooonsh was talking about is a result of that.

Quote from: https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,49825.msg1077471.html#msg1077471
-Quadrupled rate at which kick skill progresses

OH THANK GOD.
- every sparring partner Dakin (the boot-footed half-elf) ever had

Solid and welcome change. I wonder if bash needs the same treatment, or is it doing okay?
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.

Neat. Could we look at enforcer branching, too? This is gr8 for the raiders among us though
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: Brytta Léofa on June 19, 2022, 10:00:59 AM
Quote from: https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,49825.msg1077471.html#msg1077471
-Quadrupled rate at which kick skill progresses

OH THANK GOD.
- every sparring partner Dakin (the boot-footed half-elf) ever had

Solid and welcome change. I wonder if bash needs the same treatment, or is it doing okay?
Bash raises fine in my experience. I've had Fighters with master skills across the board but with apprentice kick.

This change puts kick on par with bash.  Bash has its chance increased a year or so ago.

Quote from: https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,49825.msg1078863.html#msg1078863
-non-humanoids should no longer open/close doors

It's 100% canonical that raptors can open doors though.
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.

October 16, 2022, 10:28:15 AM #1432 Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 10:45:58 AM by mansa
https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,58528.0.html

Spendable Karma being removed.

I am worried that the game will become mage centric again.  I am worried that the ability for staff to 'notice' that the playerbase has shifted to playing magick subclasses isn't something they can easily track.

Maybe there can be a weekly query that checks the number of active players that have magicker subclasses, and if it goes above a certain threshold they can pause magicker applications until it gets below that.

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on October 16, 2022, 10:28:15 AM
https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,58528.0.html

Spendable Karma being removed.

I am worried that the game will become mage centric again.  I am worried that the ability for staff to 'notice' that the playerbase has shifted to playing magick subclasses isn't something they can easily track.

Maybe there can be a weekly query that checks the number of active players that have magicker subclasses, and if it goes above a certain threshold they can pause magicker applications until it gets below that.

+1

Should we be also worried about the karma locked races also? Or was that never a problem? I'm mainly thinking of muls.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: Barsook on October 16, 2022, 10:47:47 AM
Should we be also worried about the karma locked races also? Or was that never a problem? I'm mainly thinking of muls.

No, it has never been an issue with the number of half-giants and muls.

There has to be an easy way to parse through all the current alive character files, assuming the game still uses a similar way of storing them that the original Diku/Circle code did.  Even if it was a SQL database I'm sure there is some way to select all that data and send out a report.

With that you could see the numbers of current mages in game and perhaps add a limit during character creation?

I'm not all that concerned with the amount of mages myself, but I never played in an era where there were more than mundane classes (or never noticed it).  I guess what threshold would you consider too many @mansa ?

Quote from: Ammut on October 16, 2022, 05:10:27 PM
... what threshold would you consider too many @mansa ?

31% of the playerbase.

Oddly enough as I was typing this out I was randomly thinking > 30% of the playerbase could tip things over as well.

That said it may be difficult to even come up with current "active" players so that the 30% number might make a difference.  If someone hasn't played recently or only logs in once a week, it might skew the numbers.

Quote from: Ammut on October 16, 2022, 05:14:19 PM
Oddly enough as I was typing this out I was randomly thinking > 30% of the playerbase could tip things over as well.

That said it may be difficult to even come up with current "active" players so that the 30% number might make a difference.  If someone hasn't played recently or only logs in once a week, it might skew the numbers.

If someone doesn't play or log in, they aren't interacting with the playerbase, so I don't think it matters :)
I think a query that checks after players within the last 7 days, and if they are a magicker subclass - to present to the playerbase that "Hey, we're getting pretty high, perhaps you shouldn't make a magicker."

I think we, the players, are mature enough to not make a magicker if we know the gameworld is high in population of magicker subclass.   Being told, "there's too many right now" definitely has a different feel than "You need to wait 50 days" arbitrarily.

Quote from: mansa on October 16, 2022, 05:18:08 PM
I think we, the players, are mature enough to not make a magicker if we know the gameworld is high in population of magicker subclass.

No we're not, and you know it.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Malken on October 16, 2022, 05:40:06 PM
I think we, the players, are mature enough to not make a magicker if we know the gameworld is high in population of magicker subclass.

I don't think trolling the forums of a game you hate and don't play is a good use of your time.

Quote from: mansa on October 16, 2022, 05:48:55 PM
I don't think trolling the forums of a game you hate and don't play is a good use of your time.

First of all, I certainly don't 'hate' this game.

Second, it's not because I don't spend my entire free time crunching data related to Armageddon that I'm trolling this forum.

I simply think that trusting the playerbase to auto-moderate itself when it comes to magickers will backfire pretty quickly.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

It already was beforehand.

I am also very concerned about this occurring and I hope some kind of system was put into place or will be put into place like you are suggesting.
"Stalin: Stop sending people to kill me! We've already captured five of them, one with a bomb and another with a rifle... If you don't stop sending killers, I'll send one to Moscow, and I won't have to send another"
― Josip Broz Tito

This may be a choice between smaller numbers with less magickers, or more players, but a skewed ratio.

I haven't played a gick for a while, but I honestly wouldn't mind that. Let the filthy witches duke it out and kill each other for a while. Give the Sun Legions and desert elves something to hunt that's not an all-powerful sorcerer that will just obliterate them. It has been like magick barely exists in the north ever since Tuluk opened.

I realize that they're not going to go advertising around Tuluk, but there have to be northerners that manifest, sooner or later, and get caught? Where are they?

This makes me want to be the change, roll one up, and get caught within a week - should be fun for everyone involved.

A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

When all the tribes opened up, it was elfageddon.

For two weeks.

Then things stabilized. I think that's how this'll go the same.

Seems we all was asking for this and got it and NOW we are worried how many mages and so on is play?  Lets just play our roles we write up and have fun!  Write up your ideas and bring the shit to life and don't worry who is what guild, just play.
Just having fun.

I expect this to help with the general feeling of 'slowness' of the game. There's no need to take it slow and be extra careful for the first few months if you can start over and try again anytime.

Quote from: Malken on October 16, 2022, 05:40:06 PM

Like if you cant survive a couple of months in a karma role...it's kinda on you. Now you can just keep rerolling until you get god stats.

Yes I am finally able to make mul mages and run havoc all around.
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

You think:
"No! Please leave me be whoever you are."

You sense a foreign presence withdraw from your mind.