Release Note discussion!

Started by Riev, January 16, 2017, 10:32:07 AM

Quote from: perfecto on May 10, 2021, 02:41:12 PM
In regards to the new Crafting format is there anyway the implemented changes could be toggled back to normal with one of the "brief" settings?  For us old timers it's a shock to the system seeing it as it reads now.

This would also be more screen-reader friendly.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Are the <> not working properly for anyone else?

It looks like if I type
say Hey <yajah> get the fuck out of my <Pah> before the next <Sejah> or else I'm going to send you to <Drov>

I see:
You say in staccano accented allundean:
" Hey <yajah> get the fuck out of my <Pah> before the next <Sejah> or else I'm going to send you to <Drov>.

But they see:
The naked well endowed elf with dainty feet and a buxom chest says in an unfamilair tongue:
" asd yahaj as as asdf as as as Pah asdfgh asd asdf Sejah as asdf a's asdfg as asdf asdf as Drov."
(scrambling is done via simple keymash and not representative of what would actually appear)
Seeing the <> in my own say is immersion breaking and it's weird that people see different things in such a meta way.

Quote from: Lotion on May 16, 2021, 07:57:35 PM

I see:
You say in staccano accented allundean:
" Hey <yajah> get the fuck out of my <Pah> before the next <Sejah> or else I'm going to send you to <Drov>.

But they see:
The naked well endowed elf with dainty feet and a buxom chest says in an unfamilair tongue:
" asd yahaj as as asdf as as as Pah asdfgh asd asdf Sejah as asdf a's asdfg as asdf asdf as Drov."
(scrambling is done via simple keymash and not representative of what would actually appear)
Seeing the <> in my own say is immersion breaking and it's weird that people see different things in such a meta way.

Makes sense that you see everything unscrambled, since you know what you said or, at least, what you were intending to say. The recipients potentially see it all varying levels of scrambled depending on language skills.

And keeping the '<' tags in.. meh. Maybe it's helpful, maybe it's a bug? I have noticed since the recent update that when someone else uses /'s to italicise it isn't working (e.g. I see /this/ rather than this), but it works fine for me when I use them... Have bugged this. Maybe it's related.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

By the way, aside from all of these oddities and concerns, staff, thanks for the spat of updates. Loving the look behind the crafts and lists, though there is some polish to apply here and there, and love the new movement types. Love the language thing, too. Really appreciate the time put in to knock some of these bad boys out.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on May 17, 2021, 03:09:21 PM
By the way, aside from all of these oddities and concerns, staff, thanks for the spat of updates. Loving the look behind the crafts and lists, though there is some polish to apply here and there, and love the new movement types. Love the language thing, too. Really appreciate the time put in to knock some of these bad boys out.

+1

Fantastic new changes, you guys are rocking it.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Malken on May 18, 2021, 11:52:58 AM
Fantastic new changes, you guys are rocking it.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

THANK YOU for these QoL additions.

And thank you from this old grouchy glasses-wearing fogey for finding a way to keep it at 80 characters wide  ;D

(nessalin)
-Players will now get a wear off message when the combat timer wears off.

I was a bit jarred from the message it echoed to me:
You can now quit.

I think there might be a better message.
Your recent combat excitement has worn off.  You can now quit normally.

or maybe something else?
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Yeah. That would be better.
Fredd-

Halaster didn't give adventurers good plant breaking =[

Re: the message, you could have it say:

You feel relaxed enough to rest now.
You feel calm enough after your recent fight.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Much better!
Fredd-

Quote from: Bogre on May 22, 2021, 06:18:48 AM

+1
The naked chubby winged halfling flaps its wings and blows you a kiss!

Quote from: Bogre on May 22, 2021, 06:18:48 AM

But what does that message mean? I feel that's a little like "That's impossible", no idea who the command failed, but still it didn't work.
Though I can appriciate the current message is a bit jarring, it's clear on what it means :)
Try to be the gem in each other's shit.

Quote from: mansa on May 21, 2021, 08:55:26 PM
I think there might be a better message.
Your recent combat excitement has worn off.  You can now quit normally.

Mansa's message is best - it tells you exactly what you can now do without sounding jarring.

When I first saw "You can now quit." it was right after failing an easy craft, so I thought one staff was mocking me, lol!

The other messages proposed are too "flowery"... What does that even mean "You feel calm enough after your recent fight?" Did I just branched Nirvana??
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

May 22, 2021, 01:05:53 PM #1317 Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 02:42:24 PM by The7DeadlyVenomz
Quote from: Malken link=topic=52143.msg1061090#msg1061090
When I first saw "You can now quit." it was right after failing an easy craft, so I thought one staff was mocking me, lol!

LOL!!!

Yeh agreed, Mansa's is nice and super newbie friendly too.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

May 22, 2021, 01:41:39 PM #1318 Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 01:45:28 PM by The7DeadlyVenomz
I'd go for a 2-liner. One line would be the IC effect, and the other the OOC effect.
You feel the recent excitement of combat fade.
- You can once again quit normally.

I'd probably change the wording on the "can't quit" message as well.
"Recent combat has you too excited; you'll need time to relax!
- You were recently in combat, and can't quit yet."
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on May 22, 2021, 01:41:39 PM
I'd go for a 2-liner. One line would be the IC effect, and the other the OOC effect.

This looks the best to me.

Quote from: Alesan on May 22, 2021, 01:46:49 PM
Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on May 22, 2021, 01:41:39 PM

This looks the best to me.
Fredd-

"  -When no skill could be matched with input, error message tells player what they typed
    and that there is no skill by that name.   "

Craft May 24 with pyrotechnics into

-You ain't cool enough to craft that (requires tool)

Think (buzzed) Wellllllll

Contact Kyle

You contact a Redbull fueled idiot

Psi - Hey Whatcha..

*Kyle's foot scrapes along the ground and you turn just in time to squirm away from his Kyle'ness

Subdue Kyle

ass -v Kyle  - Kyle is of below average quality, barely functionable

Etwo Kyle

Craft May 24 with pyrotechnics into #1

Using Kyle
You begin crafting a real good time
8)

Happy May 24 All!!!

(No Kyle's were hurt in the making of this nice jovial message)
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

I've noticed that since the recent release notes (since when they revamped crafting) my communication code's gone crazy with the colors. Whereas before it would show the whole output as my 'say' color, for example, now it only does the top line (the emote + language part), and the second line (the actual sentences you say) is basic grey. Is this being addressed? It's lowkey causing me a stress and don't know why.

Quote from: Kialae on May 26, 2021, 12:45:52 AM
I've noticed that since the recent release notes (since when they revamped crafting) my communication code's gone crazy with the colors. Whereas before it would show the whole output as my 'say' color, for example, now it only does the top line (the emote + language part), and the second line (the actual sentences you say) is basic grey. Is this being addressed? It's lowkey causing me a stress and don't know why.

I would suggest to create a bug report using the request tool about it.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I too am having this issue. My own says are colored though, which is odd.