Re: Zalanthan nobility

Started by Inks, February 03, 2015, 09:07:43 PM

February 03, 2015, 09:07:43 PM Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 09:12:32 PM by Inks
There are already enough nobles.  ::)

Quote from: Inks on February 03, 2015, 09:07:43 PM
There are already enough nobles.  ::)

Debatable!
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

8-10 In one city Is pretty top-heavy.

Yeah, along with the Templars.  That's like 11-13 right there.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: Inks on February 03, 2015, 10:14:40 PM

Are there seriously that many? I never see more than a handful of nobles around.

Tuluk does has 6, I think.
Fredd-

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on February 03, 2015, 10:19:17 PM

Are there seriously that many? I never see more than a handful of nobles around.

At a maximum, each of the cities has 6 nobles at a time. Often it is less than this.
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

So that number is really the noble + templar number.  But still, that's a lot of leadership.
Fredd-

Yeah it is nobles + Templars

I also think 6 is more than enough for either city.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

11-13? Hardly. Not in the North anyway. 6 is a great number + templars. I think it allows for a lot of opportunity, and stops noble characters from getting boring so quick, cause they can actually have a social life with those of their caste. Want to have an actual party, you invite everyone, and you might get half (due to diff playtimes and such), so you still at least get 3-4 nobles, maybe 5.
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

There is a very high turnover for rate on northern nobles, I think.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Quote from: Centurion on February 04, 2015, 04:35:34 AM
11-13? Hardly. Not in the North anyway. 6 is a great number + templars. I think it allows for a lot of opportunity, and stops noble characters from getting boring so quick, cause they can actually have a social life with those of their caste. Want to have an actual party, you invite everyone, and you might get half (due to diff playtimes and such), so you still at least get 3-4 nobles, maybe 5.

This.  I've played a noble as one of three nobles and I was constantly bored.  Having six nobles allows for exponentially more interaction and politics than having three nobles.  Which means nobles stick around longer and make more plots.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

I have this theory that every noble house could be made virtual and the game would actually improve for it.

Quote from: Delirium on February 04, 2015, 10:00:29 AM
I have this theory that every noble house could be made virtual and the game would actually improve for it.

Of the game's playable noble houses, about half of them deal only in virtual work anyway.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

I sometimes have thought that too, I mean: that's 12 PCs (or whatever the number is north/south) that could be in the rinth!
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Ehh, I think we definitely need some noble houses.

It might be interesting to replace the nobles with high-ranked aides to keep the political plots going, but also allow for less restricted interaction.

Quote from: Quell on February 04, 2015, 11:22:37 AM

It might be interesting to replace the nobles with high-ranked aides to keep the political plots going, but also allow for less restricted interaction.

Yep. Even the highest ranked aide is at least somewhat grittier than a noble, and has far more interaction possibilities.

Disagree.

Nobles can be gritty as fuck.
"The church bell tollin', the hearse come driving slow
I hope my baby, don't leave me no more
Oh tell me baby, when are you coming back home?"

--Howlin' Wolf

February 04, 2015, 12:08:38 PM #20 Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 12:10:54 PM by Beethoven
Noble is a tough and isolated role to play and can feel a lot like animating an NPC at times (not that I would know what animating an NPC feels like, I suppose) but they bring the oppression and social inequality of the world to life, and I think city play would suffer without them.

February 04, 2015, 12:21:58 PM #21 Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 12:25:26 PM by Delirium
Ideally they do, except they don't (with the exception of the occasional very skilled player). It's a difficult role that often seems empty of the vibrancy and authenticity available elsewhere in commoner roles, unless the noble is surrounded by a large enough cabal of employees and/or associates. This means that when those roles are interesting and lively, there is an inevitable upswing in noble house employees, which means a correlating upswing in visible quality of life, quantity of silk, and abundance of coin... which is, to my mind, a large portion of the reason Tuluk has the reputation it does: too many noble houses. They compete for players, for understandable reasons, leaving it difficult if not nearly impossible for a player character to remain a lower-class citizen unattached to the nobility's strings. Unless they want to be very isolated. So they get bored, die, and/or store. And the cycle continues...

We should open up a tribe of nobles that live in the middle of nowhere, like the red desert or something.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

I think one problem is that nobles care too much for their low-ranked and newly-hired servants or affiliates. Why should they care if Joe grebber called their generic new aide a taffer? They shouldn't be going after Joe; they should be telling their servant to stop bothering them with their petty kankshit.

February 04, 2015, 12:36:08 PM #24 Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 12:39:47 PM by Delirium
They care because they are bored out of their skulls.

They also care because good employees are so hard to find that their value is unnaturally inflated.

Should they care? No. Will they care? Yes. It's a symptom of a larger problem that is unlikely to be fixed until the root cause is addressed.