New, Introduction, and Questions

Started by Xiphos, November 12, 2013, 07:04:37 AM

Hey there,

I was brought to this MUD by a friend and am enjoying it thoroughly so far. The world, the people, and the risk v rewards are incredible. I've been wandering about aimlessly and will be playing in the evenings PST shortly. I had two questions thus far, as everything else is a smooth transition from other MUDs:

1) There was a room I stumbled into that had an exit called SAVE. I saved there but have no idea what that does. Must I go and Save my character to save progress or will logging out in the appropriate room suffice?
2) I was shown how to forage but have no idea how to sell. After some trial and error, I finally discovered OFFER and was dismayed to find only NPCs that refused my goods. Thus, I assume there is one place to sell your salt, flint, et al? Is it only PCs that offer to buy things?

Thanks!

Save -
Most rooms will revert to a set state if the mud crashes or is taken down. That means anything that has been left in that room will be lost.
Save rooms however are safe to leave things in. It's like typing save in a word doc. All the stuff you typed since your last save, saves.

(I wish I had a synonym for save) So a save room is a room that you can leave things in and expect to find them when you return. (Providing no one takes them.)
There is an NPC who will buy your salt. Asking someone in game is a good way to meet someone. Ask someone your pc would actually like to meet. Don't ask a noble or templar.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Xiphos on November 12, 2013, 07:04:37 AM
Hey there,

I was brought to this MUD by a friend and am enjoying it thoroughly so far. The world, the people, and the risk v rewards are incredible. I've been wandering about aimlessly and will be playing in the evenings PST shortly. I had two questions thus far, as everything else is a smooth transition from other MUDs:

1) There was a room I stumbled into that had an exit called SAVE. I saved there but have no idea what that does. Must I go and Save my character to save progress or will logging out in the appropriate room suffice?
2) I was shown how to forage but have no idea how to sell. After some trial and error, I finally discovered OFFER and was dismayed to find only NPCs that refused my goods. Thus, I assume there is one place to sell your salt, flint, et al? Is it only PCs that offer to buy things?

Thanks!

1. A room with "Save" in the exits list means the room will save whatever is in it, when the game resets. So if someone drops a cloak, a shard of flint, and a travelcake on the ground, and the game reboots, it'll come back with those items. The game code itself will place those items in the opposite order from the last time they were there. So if it's cloak, flint, cake when you dropped it. Then the game reset will make it cake, flint, cloak. If the game resets again, it'll reverse again, back to cloak, flint, and cake.

There is also a command Save, which will save your character's current status of existence, in case something happens to the game before ou have a chance to log out. And so - if you JUST picked up a cloak, piece of flint, and travel cake, and you think they're the most valueable 3 items in the entire game, you'll want to type SAVE right after picking them up. That way, if the game crashes and restores, you won't be 10 rooms back from that spot, without those items in your possession. This is especially useful if the items were last seen in a NON-save room - because the game crash would not restore those items, unless they were dropped in the save room.

2. You need to offer things to NPCs that are known to buy them. For example: sell salt to a salt-buyer, and flint to a stonebuyer or raw-materials buyer. There was an announcement awhile back, so it's not "ic info" to tell you: if it's salt and you're salting outside Allanak, come in through the east gate, go up the street, and right around where the road bends is a guy who buys dung. Right near him, there's a building with 2 rooms and 2 NPCs. One of those NPCs sells salt bags. The other buys the salt in bulk. If you want to sell salt to any other NPC, you'll have to do some exploring of the NPC vendors around Allanak to see which ones will buy individual pieces of salt. There are several vendors in the bazarre that buy clothing, several that buy armor and weapons, some that buy "container" type objects.

The usual syntax would be "offer flint" (and he gives you a number. if you like it,..type barter, all by itself. if you don't like the number, then type "offer flint 15" or whichever amount of sids you think the item should be worth to you. Your results may vary. He'll either accept it, come up with a counter-offer, or kick you out of the shop for a day :))

Some NPCs have a different syntax; simply "sell item" and in one or two cases, it's "give item blacky" (with "blacky" being replaced by a keyword for the NPC you're trading with.) The ones that are different, won't play the usual barter game with you. They'll either give you instructions when you try to "offer," or you'll have to try "discuss topics blacky" or "discuss spice blacky" or whatever.

Welcome!
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

November 12, 2013, 11:01:30 AM #3 Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 02:32:37 PM by Agent_137
welcome to armageddon.

if you didn't already see it, you should check out the "Get live help" mantis on the homepage, lower right. http://armageddon.org/

friendly people like Barzalene will answer your questions in live chat, if that's what you prefer.

This forum is, as you see, also an excellent place.

!!

Yes, mountain climber! Live chat help rules.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Check out this section of the website:

http://armageddon.org/intro/walkthrough.php
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one