Barrier and Stun Drain

Started by Eloran, March 08, 2009, 12:10:04 AM

Since most skills now take off stun in negatives that factor in, yet decrease with notches in skill, I think the same should be in order for barrier.

Currently, even a max barrier takes off 10 stun.

Thoughts?

I wouldn't mind.

However, i could understand it not doing so, since barrier is a mental skill, and the other skills are physical.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

March 08, 2009, 12:15:40 AM #2 Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 12:33:38 AM by mansa
I think the number that barrier actually takes off is dependable on your stats, as I have a character who uses barrier, and it takes off a different amount than what you've posted.

I agree with the idea that it should take off less stun as you get better and better at using the skill.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

The max stun drain isn't based on your skill.  I've had characters who went from newbie to branching whose max stun drain never changed.

It does seem to be based on a combination of stats, though.

However, the skills that drain stun don't do so very much if you are good at them.  Just give it some time, and it won't be too bad.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: mansa on March 08, 2009, 12:15:40 AM
I think the number that barrier actually takes off is dependable on your skills, as I have a character who uses barrier, and it takes off a different amount than what you've posted.

What do you mean? Do you mean using the skill itself takes off stun in the process, or are you referring to the stun pool's max cap that takes a hit?

The amount it takes off when I employ the skill seems random at times. Sometimes it takes off very little. Other times, a bit more. The max cap is always lowered by ten points though, regardless.

Quote from: Synthesis on March 08, 2009, 12:20:24 AM
The max stun drain isn't based on your skill.

I understand this. I contend that it should be.

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on March 08, 2009, 12:13:58 AM
However, i could understand it not doing so, since barrier is a mental skill, and the other skills are physical.

I disagree with this line of thought.

The reasons for one's max stun lowering upon utilizing skills such as guard, watch, listen, scan, etc. is because of the mental strain that arises as a result of employing these skills. Using barrier produces a mental strain as well.

They are linked, in my opinion.

I meant stats, not skills.

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on March 08, 2009, 12:33:48 AM
I meant stats, not skills.

Ah, thanks.

In any case, I think a change is in order.

A barrier will always need a certian level of mental strength to maintain.

Physical skills become innate nature after a time and don't require the same level of concentration they do at first.

But I'm not exactly arguing with you. It wouldn't make me angry in the least if barrier cost less the better you became with it.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I'm guessing that you don't have max barrier unless you're a filthy mindworm. ;)
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

March 08, 2009, 01:22:06 AM #11 Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 01:28:09 AM by mansa
Contact takes less and less stun as you get better and better at it.
Why is Barrier not the same?

Quote from: mansa on March 08, 2009, 01:22:06 AM
Why is Contact broken?

Be careful with 'em pointed questions.

March 08, 2009, 01:29:31 AM #13 Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 01:33:04 AM by mansa
Quote from: Synthesis on March 08, 2009, 01:26:06 AM
Why is Barrier not the same

Hmm.  Right.  I should reread before I post.

Quote from: mansa on March 08, 2009, 01:29:31 AM
Quote from: Synthesis on March 08, 2009, 01:26:06 AM
Why is Contact not the same

Hmm.  Right.  I should reread before I post.

I'm so confused now.

Oh, I see what you did there.  I think I would of caught it easier if you added the meme, "There I fixed it for you".  :)
You infered that since Psionic Skill A did one thing, and Psionic Skill B did another thing, that Skill A is not working correctly, whereas I say Skill B is not working correctly. 

I highly doubt that CONTACT will be changed, as it is has been changed a multiple of times in the past to make it easier and easier to use.  As it's the most highly used psionic skill, I judge and base all my psionic skills on it.

I've been up too late tonight and the quick wit has gone over my head.

Barrier takes different amount of stun (off total stun pool) depending on your endurance, and maybe other things. I've had characters who dropped 20+ stun over barrier, even when it was maxed and branched. And personally ... I dislike it taking so much, but I do not want it to be variable.

Barrier is not scan, it is much more complicated. It is also a psionic skills and I can only assume, other psionic skills work in a similar way. If you gonna change barrier, you gonna have to change them all and then ... no. I'd say barrier and contact are just fine.
Peering into the darkness, your voice uncertain, you say, in sirihish:
     "You be wary, you lot. It ain' I who's locked 'p here with yeh. it's the whol
e bunch of youse that's locked down here with meh."

One way I like to think about barrier's stun drain is like this. Lets say your mind is a door, barrier is essentially closing that door and putting your weight behind it as well as pushing on it. Some people are heavier than others and don't necessarily need to push on the door as hard, while others are quite light and shove on it hard to compensate. Since while the barrier is up you're constantly 'shoving', seeing as you dont really know when someone's gonna ram into the door, certain people would and shove tire out faster.

Thats just how i usually explain it to people so they can make some sense of it, instead of encasing your mind in a shell and trying to figure out how your mind keeps the shell up etc.
War is not about who is right, but who is left
Quote from: BebopWhy is my butt always sore when I wake up?  :cry:

Nah, keep the stun drain. Barrier's overpowered anyway.. the one skill that helps the most in keeping a 9-karma race from killing a 0-karma one. I don't find the barrier drain particularly annoying.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

I agree with SMuz, barrier's strong as it is and the stun drain makes since. Hard to be mindful,  for any period of time I imagine, of anyone trying to wiggle their way into your mind to say hello/eat your brainz. Stun drain respresents that distracted focus and mental strain very well IMO.

if I was to argue against anything it would be the drain for scan/watch/listen. I suppose the idea behind it all was to keep people from merely turning on every possible skill while they did everyday things such as a hunter being in 'scan' mode for the entirety of his hunt even though he's chilling, cooking, chatting or taking a piss behind an agafari. /slight derail
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Well, one thing I would argue is that it takes some practice before barrier becomes useful at all. Feels a little bit twinkish to sit at a tavern and practice barrier during off-peak moments. But I guess that applies to skills like ride as well. How the hell do you guys max out barrier?
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

barrier ? strong? You kidding me. Maybe my experience is strange, but it feels like barrier of 'any' level can 'always' be broken after 2nd or 4th try, once their contact is of significant level. If anything, barrier as a method of keeping anonymity/hidden is too weak.
Peering into the darkness, your voice uncertain, you say, in sirihish:
     "You be wary, you lot. It ain' I who's locked 'p here with yeh. it's the whol
e bunch of youse that's locked down here with meh."

Quote from: SmashedTregil on March 09, 2009, 02:52:21 AM
barrier ? strong? You kidding me. Maybe my experience is strange, but it feels like barrier of 'any' level can 'always' be broken after 2nd or 4th try, once their contact is of significant level.

Even if it gets broken, it has already served one of it's purposes.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I don't use barrier often enough is the impression I get.  When I am sitting in a tavern on a boring night, I'll think to myself something like, 'I hope such and such doesn't try to find me tonight.'

Then I use barrier once or twice before forgetting about it.  As far as stun drain goes, I don't really know if it is based on anything other than your skill level... mine is much too low!

Quote from: FantasyWriter on March 09, 2009, 03:07:02 AM
Even if it gets broken, it has already served one of it's purposes.

Mysterious IC info is mysterious.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."