I'm still playing

Started by Riev, February 14, 2009, 11:44:06 AM

With the recent threads of people no longer playing, I thought I would start a positive thread.

I am still playing Armageddon, despite being completely bored at times, and not having the energy to solo-rp anything specific. This game is amazing, and I can't even remember playing another MUD. If this character dies (by the Sun King I hope he doesn't) then I have a bunch of other interesting concepts I can play. Loving. The. Game.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I really want to play. All these recent additions to the game make drool for some Arm action, but alas, I can not think of a role that I enjoy for the life of me. Even using a certain awesome character generator, I can't make it interesting to me. So I will still wait until I get hit by a concept. OR I stumble upon one.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

I have too many ideas for roles. Losing some of them would help make me more motivated to keep my character alive ;)

Anyway, yeah, I love this game. There are almost no games in this world that keep me entertained for over 50 hours.. Arm goes far beyond that. Before playing Arm, I lost all hope that multiplayer RPGs could be more than simply grinding and becoming yet another 'factory worker'.

I hope I'll stop playing before class starts :P
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Quote from: Riev on February 14, 2009, 11:44:06 AM
I am still playing Armageddon, despite being completely bored at times, and not having the energy to solo-rp anything specific. This game is amazing, and I can't even remember playing another MUD. If this character dies (by the Sun King I hope he doesn't) then I have a bunch of other interesting concepts I can play. Loving. The. Game.

Sums up my thoughts exactly.

Still playing Arm. I usually get the feeling that a lot of people don't really care for my not liking the grit part of it. Oh well. It's a great game with lots of wonderful players and an amazing, dedicated staff. I may not like some of the harshness of it, but I love the beauty, the detail, the amazing code, and the fantastic RP too much to quit. Evar.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Everyone, PM Delstro some character concepts! That is, if you have some to spare.

I like the game. Sometimes I get frustrated, but overall the game rocks and I love that so much is being done to tweak it almost on a daily basis.
Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 17, 2010, 07:55:28 PM
A glossy, black-shelled mantis says, in insectoid-accented sirihish,
  "You haven't picked enough cotton, friend."
Choose thy fate:

Yeah, I'm pretty much going to say that I unabashedly love this game. It thoroughly engages my imagination, and it's FREE. I don't need a kick ass, expensive computer to run it. I just plug in, play, and get my mind blown regularly. Yeah, sometimes it has its boring times, and I've been a little frustrated on more than one occasion, but whatever. Those are minor things compared to the literal days of great times I've had playing. When I talk video games with people (which is often), Arm always comes up as my "overall best game I've ever played."

The only real peeve I have with it is how damn persistent it is. Something's -always- going on, and knowing that makes this game addicting. I don't feel like I'm playing "right" when I can't log on for at least three hours a day. But... that's pretty much the only thing that really bugs me.

Great players come and go, but it's not like it's the end of the game. This is a good thread, Riev.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on February 14, 2009, 12:13:34 PM
Still playing Arm. I usually get the feeling that a lot of people don't really care for my not liking the grit part of it. Oh well. It's a great game with lots of wonderful players and an amazing, dedicated staff. I may not like some of the harshness of it, but I love the beauty, the detail, the amazing code, and the fantastic RP too much to quit. Evar.

I always said that I don't care much for the setting of Armageddon itself, the desert world and the asshole Bynners, but it's still my favorite mud out there by far because no one can beat it
when it comes to great roleplaying, and for me, that's all that matters.

As long as Tuluk exists, I'll be happy ;)

I must say that I've been leaning toward another RPI heavily lately, and I've seen some ex-Armageddon players there, it's a hot fight between that one and Armageddon, but I'm glad to see that Arm is fighting back, code-wise.. My only grip
about Armageddon compared to that other mud is that it felt that I was playing on a mud from the 90's, but yes, I'm glad to see all the new changes. Armageddon is my #1 again.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Malken on February 14, 2009, 12:43:41 PM

Seconded.
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Well, the time has come for me to announce formally something that has been creeping up on me for a while.  

Many of you who know me or have played with me may have noticed over the past few months that I have been playing more and more, even if though my play times are often random and include sporadic, unplanned idling.  When I started playing this game, I had fairly low expectations and assumed that players really didn't have much freedom or the ability to shape plots and the world around them.  As time as has passed, through multiple experiences with both staff and players that I will not mention here because airing the details would serve no purpose, my first impression has become increasingly jaded.  Instead of logging in listlessly, I have noticed lately that even the small mundane details of Zalanthas are engaging my attention.  Instead of that rather vague, frustrated feeling that I first had as a newbie exploring the world, I'm now eager to explore the possibilities.  

I just don't know if I'll ever regain the apathy of my early days of playing.  Maybe, one day, it will come back.  But for now, I think I just need some time to step forward into the game and really enjoy it.

Thunkkin
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

After coming back from a 4 year break, I couldn't love Arm more. My only problem is that I CLEARLY missed a bunch of shit during that time, and it makes me sad.

So now I have about 1294189047 different things I want to play that I can't, because I love my current character.
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

I love Arm. I love the desert feel. I love the dark-sun theme.  Despite heated debates on the GDB, despite perceived code issues and RP issues and despite loosing beloved characters is staggeringly stupid ways, I love this game.  I love the immersion I get from it.

My best advice for if you can't think of a concept: Don't. Don't think so hard. Don't come up with a "concept" at all.

Create some ordinary, unimportant, average commoner. Not a filthy nasty commoner, not an uber pretty concubine wanna-be commoner. Just someone average and ordinary. With no significant traumatic experiences in life that would cause any kind of psychosis or fetishes... Just a plain Jimbob Ranger, who isn't in it for the riches, he just wants to have a few sids in the bank, a stash of spice tucked away, a good bottle of ale, and a nice steak once in awhile, and a fine gal to share it with when they get old.

And then..

let weird shit happen to your character.

Just let it go. Get in the zen of it all. Play organically rather than systematically. More often than not, weird shit WILL happen. And that's when it becomes fun again :)
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Sorry folks, but you are all stuck with me for a VERY long time, so you damn well better get use to it.... or disappear me IRL. ;)

Also a piece of advise:
Don't start a PC with a end-goal in mind... you will get disappointed more times than not.
Start a PC that just wants to get by in life, and see how it goes.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I am still playing.

Just disheartening when an IC event makes even you, the player, reel from the blow.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Still here after almost a decade.

Quote from: DustMight on February 14, 2009, 01:41:15 PM
I love Arm. I love the desert feel. I love the dark-sun theme.  Despite heated debates on the GDB, despite perceived code issues and RP issues and despite loosing beloved characters is staggeringly stupid ways, I love this game.  I love the immersion I get from it.

Boom-dee-ada, boom-dee-ada..

Still here, and not leaving.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

I took a break for a while, then I came back.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

giving blood, keeping faith
and I'm still right here

I've taken many a breaks over the year. And I keep coming back, can't stop myself. ;D
Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on February 14, 2009, 12:49:36 PM
Quote from: Malken on February 14, 2009, 12:43:41 PM

Seconded.

Thirded.
A horde of Inix turn and stampede straight at you....KRATH!

Still here.  Still playing.  Still happy.

Morrolan
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

I'm still here, but not playing...yet. :P

I know SOME people who claimed to have quit... But they're still around. Sneaky bastards.
The man asks you:
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Still here, still loving it.

Fuck you all.

<3

Quote from: rishenko on February 15, 2009, 09:05:36 AM
Still here, still loving it.

Fuck you all.

<3

It's about time.
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

I'll be here until they lock the doors and turn off the lights.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: tortall on February 14, 2009, 09:55:51 PM
I know SOME people who claimed to have quit... But they're still around. Sneaky bastards.

Way to make the people who are barely playing at all appreciated  ;)
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Reiloth on February 15, 2009, 08:40:14 PM

You just wanted us to THINK you left, so we could show you love.... Sycophant. ;-)

But! I do love you. :-D Not as much as I love mansa though.

Quote from: mansa on February 15, 2009, 05:14:37 PM

Yes, yes you will. And you will be locked in the room, with nothing else to take up your time. :-D
The man asks you:
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Yarr, still hanging around. Arm is the one and only game I play when I feel like kicking back and tuning out the real world for a while. There's no other escape like it.

Quote from: tortall on February 16, 2009, 01:09:15 PM
Quote from: Reiloth on February 15, 2009, 08:40:14 PM

You just wanted us to THINK you left, so we could show you love.... Sycophant. ;-)

But! I do love you. :-D Not as much as I love mansa though.

Quote from: mansa on February 15, 2009, 05:14:37 PM

Yes, yes you will. And you will be locked in the room, with nothing else to take up your time. :-D

Man, you're going to be so sad when the reality truck hits.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Oh, don't worry, it already has. Jobless due to back injury at work and being forced to move in with parents? Yah, totally there. Arm is my escape. And since I can't DO anything else, I escape a lot. :-p

I've been hit with the reality truck a lot. Too much for one person. I just try and be cheerful as much as possible, even if it's only online.
The man asks you:
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: tortall on February 17, 2009, 12:44:15 AM
Oh, don't worry, it already has. Jobless due to back injury at work and being forced to move in with parents? Yah, totally there. Arm is my escape. And since I can't DO anything else, I escape a lot. :-p

I've been hit with the reality truck a lot. Too much for one person. I just try and be cheerful as much as possible, even if it's only online.

Mostly in reference to when I am not playing much at all anymore, you're going to be sadder, but hey. Insight into your situation is always appreciated, and duly noted.  :P

~Jack Vance~

Oh, Rishenko's back?

Sweet.  Time for me to app 'The bad-ass motherfucker' and get back into the game.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

This is going to be a hard addiction to break.

Addictions: Too many to count.
Jingo: 0
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Sadly... I quit playing this game.
I live this game.
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

I'm back from my regular sabbatical, have been for a few weeks.

this game plays  me.
your mother is an elf.

Still here, trying to get that magic back. Trying to slip into plots, but nothing seems to work. I'll keep trying though.

Quote from: Vessol on February 21, 2009, 02:27:33 AM
Still here, trying to get that magic back. Trying to slip into plots, but nothing seems to work. I'll keep trying though.

Sometimes it takes a while with a new character, don't worry, you can do it.

The game's being a bit quiet these few days anyway, because of everyone being up in Luir's.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

I got back..... kind of..

Real life did hit me hard.. I am forced to work for money, not that much, but I have other hobbies and a daughter now.. Still I log in from time to time when I have enough spare time.. Sadly this means, not that much of interaction and no more 'kudos' for me..

I missed the kudos messages. They used to make me feel... like a proud bastard bragging about how gigantic his pee pee is.
Q  : Where do you piss?
Yam: On elves.
Q  : And if the area, lacks elves at the given time?
Yam: Scan.

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on February 21, 2009, 07:47:00 AM
Quote from: Vessol on February 21, 2009, 02:27:33 AM

Sometimes it takes a while with a new character, don't worry, you can do it.

The problem is one I run in constantly with all my characters throughout my years of playing. I have horrible luck with personal plots. Either I'm not on at the right time, something that could develop into something suddenly ends, they end when I'm not online. I'll keep trying though.

Quote from: Vessol on February 21, 2009, 02:33:31 PM
The problem is one I run in constantly with all my characters throughout my years of playing. I have horrible luck with personal plots. Either I'm not on at the right time, something that could develop into something suddenly ends, they end when I'm not online. I'll keep trying though.

This is something I've been running into lately. In order to do the Solo RP I have planned, I need to order something from another player. I'm never on at the same time they are. When it comes to personal plots that I want to encourage the growth of my character, I'm on at the right time, but something ALWAYS happens in game that ruins it.

I just gotta keep trying. Eventually, I'll either accomplish what I want to for short term goals, or die trying.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

My current role is fairly isolated at the moment, there is interaction, just, not much when I'm on. I'd have tons of mini-plots going, but that's far from the way the things are going on are taking me. *shrug* More grebbing, I guess.

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on February 21, 2009, 05:05:42 PM
My current role is fairly isolated at the moment, there is interaction, just, not much when I'm on. I'd have tons of mini-plots going, but that's far from the way the things are going on are taking me. *shrug* More grebbing, I guess.

That's when you store and come play with me  ;D

Too much interaction, not enough sleep.

Quote from: Malken on February 21, 2009, 05:14:14 PM
Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on February 21, 2009, 05:05:42 PM

That's when you store and come play with me  ;D

Too much interaction, not enough sleep.

If only you could unstore and come play with me! :)

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on February 21, 2009, 06:08:49 PM
If only you could unstore and come play with me! :)

Gosh, everyone wants me to unstore and come play with them! It's like I only had one decent character in 10 years  :'(

You should all make a petition and send it to Morgenes!

Heh, ironically, if you did this... I might have to unstore the one that knew them. ;) j/k, nah, I'm sure the rest of your characters have been equally as interesting/amusing/fun/cool/awesome, but that's the only one I know, oocly, was you.

I am not playing at the moment.

...but I wish I was!
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.