The Way, Linkdeadedness, and You

Started by Fathi, January 03, 2008, 08:46:12 PM

I would like to get the 'soandso has lost link' message if somebody gets disconnected while I'm in contact with them.

If I see somebody drop link when I'm talking alone with them at a table, I stop talking out of courtesy so I don't have to repeat as much for them when they reconnect. I would very much like this to apply to the Way, too.

That is all.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

I've been wondering for years why this hasn't been implemented yet.

Agreed
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Yeah.
Telling the Truth Where Others Hush.

Because you don't know if they are ignoring you, have died or something else?
I was with Kul on that trip.

Quote from: Dusky on January 04, 2008, 10:49:51 AM
Because you don't know if they are ignoring you, have died or something else?

And also the 'soandso has lost link' message will let me know at what point I'll need to repeat myself. Right now, if I'm waying someone a detailed scouting report, for example, and they stop replying midway through, I don't know if they just got busy, had to rest to regain stun, or dropped link. If I got a message saying that they'd dropped link, I wouldn't keep waying them and that player has less they have to catch up on once they're back.

Heh, the message for  dying/logging off is already there, sure, you don't know which is which, but there. Sleeping or  barriered as well.

Come to think of it, Why is the message for logging off the same as death? I'd think that being in contact with somebody as they died would be a rather tramatic experiance...Meh.

Still agreeing with Fathi.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Great idea. It would be even cooler if the game informed you when you contact someone who is linkdead, too - there's few things as annoying as reconnecting just in time to see someone severing a way connection, then trying to figure out who it was so you can ask them what they just said.

Quote from: Grey Area on January 05, 2008, 05:33:26 AM
Great idea. It would be even cooler if the game informed you when you contact someone who is linkdead, too - there's few things as annoying as reconnecting just in time to see someone severing a way connection, then trying to figure out who it was so you can ask them what they just said.

Yeah.  I've actually had staff inform me that people I had contacted were linkdead.  While I enjoy that warm feeling that comes from receiving a favor from someone with better things to do, I think that this can and should be automated.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: Troicha on January 06, 2008, 08:50:49 PM
Also, beep over the Way, thanks.

I second this...I needed this last night as a matter of fact.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Why do you need beep over the way? Sometimes I just ignore the voices in my head, I don't want to start getting beeped for that.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on January 13, 2008, 10:50:11 PM
Why do you need beep over the way? Sometimes I just ignore the voices in my head, I don't want to start getting beeped for that.

Turn it off, then.

* Fathi whistles innocuously and kicks ~thread to the top of ~forum.

April 18, 2009, 01:01:02 AM #18 Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 07:03:59 AM by SMuz
Yes, should be that way. Fucking annoying when someone contacts over an important issue involving life and limb and didn't even know that you're not online to listen.

Edited out IC info :P
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

I think it hasn't been implemented because nobody thought about it.

If we talk about it enough times, maybe it will get implemented.

Someone should Idea it in game.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

This would be a great thing to have in game good point Fathi. Also wished other things such as spells and stuff would also wear off when you was logged out. Cause basicly we are still the vnpc like.
craft pain pills  Dr pepper
You make a idled character

Fifth-ted, or whatever. I haven't been counting.

No need for beep though.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

PLEASE?
staff member sends:
     "No problem. We'll just eat your brainz later

Quote from: X-D on January 04, 2008, 06:41:54 PM
Why is the message for logging off the same as death? I'd think that being in contact with somebody as they died would be a rather tramatic experiance...Meh.

I'm all for the disconnect message message, and for a slight derail to suggest a new way message for death. I imagine it would be pretty fucked up to feel someones consciousness die while you're linked to it.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: Majikal on April 20, 2009, 12:01:21 PM
Quote from: X-D on January 04, 2008, 06:41:54 PM
Why is the message for logging off the same as death? I'd think that being in contact with somebody as they died would be a rather tramatic experiance...Meh.

I'm all for the disconnect message message, and for a slight derail to suggest a new way message for death. I imagine it would be pretty fucked up to feel someones consciousness die while you're linked to it.

I dunno. Sometimes it's fun not to know what happened. It's like losing radio contact during a battle. Makes a tense scene even more tense. I love the scenes where things go "Feck, I can't contact her. Private, go into the cave and see if she's fine!" And the arguments afterwards whether or not there should be a rescue mission.
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Might make a good fetish, too.   ;D

Quote from: Rhyden on January 03, 2008, 09:50:15 PM
I've been wondering for years why this hasn't been implemented yet.

I refer to my previous comment.

Would be really cool if there was some kind of a backlash over the way when someone dies, as their consciousness fails it almost takes yours with it due to the link. In code terms it could mean a loss of stun and health and could potentially lead to some awesome scenes.
e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e w

Quote from: Masterofthat on April 22, 2009, 05:31:20 PM
Would be really cool if there was some kind of a backlash over the way when someone dies, as their consciousness fails it almost takes yours with it due to the link. In code terms it could mean a loss of stun and health and could potentially lead to some awesome scenes.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

A dip in health is a bit of a stretch. I could see a loss in stun points though.

Oh, I'd love that. That's what you get for being in someone's head when they die.

Bumping this because of all the recent disconnecting #$)!@% holy crap.

Agreed, agreed, agreed.

Puhleeeze.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: Maso on April 22, 2009, 07:26:45 PM

Your mind reels as you feel the tall, muscular man's consciousness ripped from his mortal coil and fade from existence.

Quote from: MarshallDFX on August 29, 2009, 04:34:09 AM
Your mind reels as you feel the tall, muscular man's consciousness ripped from his mortal coil and fade from existence.

^^^ this sounds awsome.

A generic tavern.
This tavern is generic in every sense of the word, Generic seating, bar, lighting and patrons.
The generic fellah is here, sitting at a generic table.

Suddenly, giving a loud, horrified gasp, the generic fellah falls from his seat, unconcious

em Glances down at the floor, eyeing ~generic with a grunt
Malik looks down at the floor, eying the generic fellah with a grunt.

>Think Guess Amos just died, time to get scavenging, I've always wanted that bow of his.
You think Guess Amos just died, time to get scavenging, I've always wanted that bow of his.

Only problem I see is the above, when someone dies, and  If you lose conciousness, theres gonna be people who'll abuse this and use it to get a mad rush on while your out cold, to head off and scavange what they want/like/need from Ranger Amos who went, rsy cheeked out the gate on his first grand adventure, only to find out Carru or tarantulas, don't roll over and play fetch.

Otherwise, I'm waiting patiently for LOD to get his grove on this thread.
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

Quote from: Kol on August 29, 2009, 09:10:08 AM

Only problem I see is the above, when someone dies, and  If you lose conciousness, theres gonna be people who'll abuse this and use it to get a mad rush on while your out cold, to head off and scavange what they want/like/need from Ranger Amos who went, rsy cheeked out the gate on his first grand adventure, only to find out Carru or tarantulas, don't roll over and play fetch.

How is this abuse?  If it's implemented, it's IG knowledge that so-and-so you were Waying just died.  If you figure you can make a profit from their corpse, and manage to keep from dying to the same thing that just killed them, well...Sounds very Zalanthan, to me.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

I'm not really a fan of this for one reason: As a person getting assaulted, you can way somebody after briefly escaping someone's grasp and then have them know that you just died moments later--I don't like that at all.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Eh. I think arguments against this are pretty weak.

That said, just simply knowing that someone is link dead is really what I want. Knowing someone is actually dead would be neat, but it wouldn't fix any problems. Knowing they are link dead would.

Quote from: Pale Horse on August 29, 2009, 11:36:10 AM
Quote from: Kol on August 29, 2009, 09:10:08 AM

How is this abuse?  If it's implemented, it's IG knowledge that so-and-so you were Waying just died.  If you figure you can make a profit from their corpse, and manage to keep from dying to the same thing that just killed them, well...Sounds very Zalanthan, to me.

Point Conceeded, I apologise, I hadn't slept when writing that.

Although, I thought all contact via the way broke completely when you entered combat? I'm sure I read that somewhere, never tried it though.

I have to say though, that as awsome as this idea sounds, it has the distinct potential, (if implimented and I'm wrong about the combat breaking the way thing) ,To completly destroy the assassin trade, or at least make it near impossible to become a succesful assassin in game.

I'm all for the linkdead notification though.

Forgive my still noobish views.

Kol.
A staff member sends:

Contact can not be established by the participant(s) in a fight.

Cool, but if your already in contact with someone, does the conection break as soon as combat is initiated?
A staff member sends:

no
Lizzie:

Cool, thanks for clearing that up for me.
A staff member sends:

Quote from: Kol on August 29, 2009, 02:14:55 PM
Cool, but if your already in contact with someone, does the conection break as soon as combat is initiated?

Barrier will though.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

It's been a few years since I bumped this.