Re: Luir's Whores

Started by Olafson, October 26, 2006, 12:32:24 AM

Just in reply to the thread in Ask the Staff...

I believe in the Storm's End, there's a young/teenage boy who is working in there if you can catch the room echoes.

I don't see how this is sexist at all. There is vnpc and npc male whores and I know for a fact there are pc catamites around.
Briar

And the Nonman King cried words that sting:
"Now to me you must confess,
For death above you hovers!"
And the Emissary answered ever wary:
"We are the race of flesh,
We are the race of lovers."
     -"Ballad of the Inchoroi"

Allanak's Bazaar has a rather fetching young catamite and there are other male whores about.  Just keep looking, slip them some sid and ask the imms for NPC "consented" interaction.

I'm sure they could aways use more, right O?   Come on people, apply for those jobs!  Be that change!

I know there are SOME but the majority of PCs convey gender roles to me.  A woman holding a childs hand, lots MORE female whores then male whores.  There are some exceptions but it's far from balanced as it is the way I see it.  NPCs assist in creating an atmosphere and so far it's not creating a very balanced one in reguards to gender roles.  I don't think there is one bartender that is a female or one leader of a city that is a female.  Red Storm, Tuluk, Luir's, Allanak.  All male owned.  Just because there are some females like a certain gruff female armor/weapons seller I am familar with or rugged looking NPCs in the Byn doesn't mean that it's balanced as the documenation say it is.

QuoteI don't think there is one bartender that is a female or one leader of a city that is a female. Red Storm, Tuluk, Luir's, Allanak. All male owned.

I can think of one female bartender.  True, that's the only one I can think of, but there is that one...
Quote from: ShalooonshTuluk: More Subtly Hot. If you can't find action in Tuluk, you're from Allanak.
Quote from: Southie"In His Radiance" -> I am a traitor / I've been playing too much in Tuluk recently.

I think the problem lies in the wording, because there are no npcs with the sdesc, 'male prostitute'.

And people don't realize what the word catamite means.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

taking it's deep roots from my ooc hatred, my next warrior-dwarf's focus will be to destroy entire gay population in Zalanthas.

Quote from: "najdorf"taking it's deep roots from my ooc hatred, my next warrior-dwarf's focus will be to destroy entire gay population in Zalanthas.

:shock:

I hope that was a joke statement inspired by the discussion of zalanthan sexuality.

There are actually at least three female bartenders in the game.

While I agree that there is a disparity in overall gender definitions, I hardly think that the state of things is as dire as Bebop seems to suggest.  I certainly wouldn't use the term "sexist" to describe it.  Along the lines of what one of the staff respondents suggested:  if you want to see more balance along these lines, do it yourself, either via submissions, or by creating the character you think the world should have but codedly lacks, as a PC.

-- X

Quote from: "Xygax"There are actually at least three female bartenders in the game.

While I agree that there is a disparity in overall gender definitions, I hardly think that the state of things is as dire as Bebop seems to suggest.  I certainly wouldn't use the term "sexist" to describe it.  Along the lines of what one of the staff respondents suggested:  if you want to see more balance along these lines, do it yourself, either via submissions, or by creating the character you think the world should have but codedly lacks, as a PC.

-- X

It's not DIRE but I think it would more probably express the atmosphere as NPCs should... and now that I think about it I do know of one female bartender.

Quote from: "najdorf"taking it's deep roots from my ooc hatred, my next warrior-dwarf's focus will be to destroy entire gay population in Zalanthas.

The fair-skinned, dainty man has arrived from the west.
The brutish, hulking half-giant has arrived from the west.
The young, cleanly shaven catamine has arrived from the west.

The mullet-haired, red-necked man narrows his eyes at the fair-skinned,
dainty man from his seat at the large, wooden table.

Rising slowly with a gruff snort, the mullet-haired, red-necked man rises
from the large, wooden table, still staring at the fair-skinned, dainty man.

With a southern drawl, as he gestures between the fair-skined, dainty man
and the young, cleanly shaven cataminte, the mullet-haired, red-necked
man says to the fair-skinned, dainty man, in sirihish:
  "I dun think you's wanna stick around here, ya queer sorts.  Yuh best
   get lost."

After a long, quiet gaze over the mullet-haired, red-necked man, the
fair-skinned, dainty man nods his head solemnly.

The fair-skinned, dainty man issues an order to the brutish, hulking half-
giant.
The brutish, hulking half-giant's slash does horrendous damage to the
mullet-haired, red-necked man's head.
The mullet-haired, red-necked man screams in pain.

Beckoning the young, cleanly shaven catamite to follow with his finger, the
fair-skinned, dainty man says, in sirihish:
   "You know, he has a point.  They really need to clean up all the blood
in here before this place is suitable for mingling."

The fair-skinned, dainty man walks to the west.
The brutish, hulking half-giant walks to the west.
The young, cleanly shaven catamine walks to the west.

The half-giant got him in the end?  I was rooting on the dainty fellow being a Nilazi or something.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Quote from: "Larrath"The half-giant got him in the end?  I was rooting on the dainty fellow being a Nilazi or something.

*sigh* Everyone's a critic.  Must... try... harder.

Quote from: "Ktavialt"
Quote from: "Larrath"The half-giant got him in the end?  I was rooting on the dainty fellow being a Nilazi or something.

Nah, your blurb was great. :)
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Quote from: "Bebop"It's not DIRE but I think it would more probably express the atmosphere as NPCs should... and now that I think about it I do know of one female bartender.

Someone needs to learn how to emote with vnpc's and quit yelping about affirmative action.
"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

Quote from: "Bebop"I know there are SOME but the majority of PCs convey gender roles to me.  A woman holding a childs hand, lots MORE female whores then male whores.  There are some exceptions but it's far from balanced as it is the way I see it.  NPCs assist in creating an atmosphere and so far it's not creating a very balanced one in reguards to gender roles.  I don't think there is one bartender that is a female or one leader of a city that is a female.  Red Storm, Tuluk, Luir's, Allanak.  All male owned.  Just because there are some females like a certain gruff female armor/weapons seller I am familar with or rugged looking NPCs in the Byn doesn't mean that it's balanced as the documenation say it is.

No female leaders?! You need to look into the game a little better, I know clans that allow female only leadership. I am not going to justify it though, if something is 'equal' that doesn't always mean both sides are the same. I think the closest I have seen to sexism in game is actually people getting angry over non-equality in the roles. Which has little to do with sexism and more to do with the characters
quote="Tisiphone"]Just don't expect him to NOT be upset with you for trying to steal his kidney with a sharp, pointy stick.[/quote]
The weak may inherit the earth, but they won't last two hours on Zalanathas

There are some patriarchal and matriarchal organizations despite the lack of sexism.  It is not because they are being sexist; it is because that is their tradition, and they have their reasons for doing so.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Quote from: "FightClub"Someone needs to learn how to emote with vnpc's and quit yelping about affirmative action.

There is no need to be inflamatory.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Quote from: "Cuusardo"
Quote from: "FightClub"Someone needs to learn how to emote with vnpc's and quit yelping about affirmative action.

There is no need to be inflamatory.

That's about as far from as inflamatory as it gets for me babe.
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.

Quote from: "Ktavialt"

I thought it was hilarious.   :)
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

In my time playing, I've been quite impressed with the effort that the good majority of the players go to in order to uphold the gender equality of the world.  The staff consistantly supports this vision as well, which I appreciate.

At the same time, NPC's can be an important social "cue" as to what kind of crowd is in any given room.  I'll also admit to bias with using coded NPC's vs. VNPC's, mainly because they feel more "real".  More female NPC's in what we (IRL) tend to think of as masculine rolls could be helpful in illustrating the absolute sex equality that exists on Zalanthas.

Bebop:  Could you perhaps PM me and point out an area(s) that might benefit from a female addition?  I'd be happy to submit someone in due course, and I'd like your insight on the subject.

On a related note, I actually have considered trying to play a male courtesan-type before, but I'm not confident in my ability to "pass".  I have noticed a distinct lack of male-male relationships, as opposed to female-female ones, which seem relatively common.  I believe that more visible examples of male-male pairings would help underscore the unique flavor of the world as well.
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote from: "FightClub"
Quote from: "Bebop"It's not DIRE but I think it would more probably express the atmosphere as NPCs should... and now that I think about it I do know of one female bartender.

Someone needs to learn how to emote with vnpc's and quit yelping about affirmative action.

I'm pretty sure you're the greatest person in existence, Fight.

Let's go get a beer.

I never say no to a beer, unless it's made from seaweed.