Arm of the Dragon Ranks

Started by Manhattan, November 03, 2005, 08:16:40 PM

Thanks Halaster.

Here's a list of what I came up with, starting from lowest to highest in command.

QuoteConscript (doesn't really make sense since, AoD is not compulsory service)
Footman
Hussar (Hungarian cavalry)
Dragoon
Blitzer
Keeper at Arms
Brigadier (adjutant)
Protector
Inquisitor (religious connotation, eh? Taken from the Mutant Chronicles)
His Right Hand (you know...Tek's royal servants)

Any of you care to share your own list?

Edit:

Quote:arrow: Conscript
:arrow: Footman
:arrow: Sentry
:arrow: Janissary
:arrow: Hussar
:arrow: Dragoon
:arrow: Taskmaster
:arrow: Brigadier
:arrow: Armiger
:arrow: Inquisitor
:arrow: Leviathan
:arrow: Keeper at Arms
:arrow: Storm Warden
:arrow: Dragon Marshal
:arrow: His Right Hand
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

I like it.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Did not like conscript.

Did not like footman either.  Private is better.

Hussar?  Hmm... Cavalry does not play any significant role, so I think it should be removed too.

The rest, sounds cool.  I like it.
some of my posts are serious stuff

Can we post them?  I thought Halaster said not to, but maybe that was just not to post them instead of emailing.    :?

Don't really like your first two, Manhattan, but I like the other ones.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

I was thinking that the AoD was more like a devout group of servicemen....like religious priests. "Devoted" sounds like a good rank. The closer they are to their god-king, Tektolnes, the higher their rank and influence.

AoD also serve as law-enforcement, so maybe the term "officer" or "police" could be used?

I want to see your lists!

Quote from: "Manhattan"I was thinking that the AoD was more like a devout group of servicemen....like religious priests. "Devoted" sounds like a good rank. The closer they are to their god-king, Tektolnes, the higher their rank and influence.

That really isn't what the Arm of the Dragon is, I don't think.
Back from a long retirement

Some are very cool, however, Halaster doesn't read the threads on the GDB.  In fact, Halaster doesn't even visit here.  All he does is read his email.  So email him.

Trust mansa.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Yeah, Hal did request these be e-mailed.  Your idea may lose some cachet in being posted here, since it will lose the advantage of potentially remaining (among the higher rank-levels) something of an IC secret for a while.  IC secrets are good.

-- X

I think Trogdor should be a rank in the Arm of the Dragon.  It would be the big beefy arm... coming out of the back of his neck...
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

.. burninating the country... TROGDOR!
I hope life isn't just one big joke, because I don't get it.  -- Jack Handy

Wow.. for someone with too much time and no artistic skills, Trogdor sure is famous.

For those of you who don't know who he is...

<insert rant here>

TROGDOR!
For FantasyWriter:
Never again will I be a fool, I will from now on, wrap my tool.

Yes, I specifically asked to email and not to post it here.  I'm not going to pay any attention to the ones posted here, so nyah!
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

I think he posted here, so we can contribute, add our ideas, and he can reshape them before emailing.

Quote from: "Ghost"I think he posted here, so we can contribute, add our ideas, and he can reshape them before emailing.

Ahh, ok, in that case.. have at it.

Looks nice, Manhattan. To me, "His Right Hand" sounds more like a Tuluki thing and less like an Allanaki rank, though. If it were me, I'd probably go with a one-word rank instead. Either way, great job!
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

And we all know what Tek does with his right hand.

-- X

Quote from: "Xygax"And we all know what Tek does with his right hand.

-- X

thats a good one!!!!

LOL
dd my msn if you want, longvaladrien@hotmail.com

I like 'em.  Except for blitzer.  That one just seems out of place or weird to me for some reason.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Isn't Blitzer one of Santa Claus' reindeer?

Oo.. reindeer names.

Private Dancer
Sergeant Blitzer
Lieutenant Prancer
Captain Donner

Blitzen.  

ZEN.

(yes I am, thank you)
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

I realized that "Blitzer" sucks.

But it's German for lightning, god!

Quote from: "Xygax"And we all know what Tek does with his right hand.

-- X

ROFL!  Now I am having some -clear- ideas of the relationship between Black Robes and Tek!

QuoteBut it's German for lightning, god!

Anything that means lightning gets a thumbs-up in my book.

Actually, let's just name all of the ranks 'lightning' in an assortment of languages.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

Quote from: "Manhattan"Thanks Halaster.

Here's a list of what I came up with, starting from lowest to highest in command.

QuoteConscript (doesn't really make sense since, AoD is not compulsory service)
Footman
Hussar (Hungarian cavalry)
Dragoon
Blitzer
Keeper at Arms
Brigadier (adjutant)
Protector
Inquisitor (religious connotation, eh? Taken from the Mutant Chronicles)
His Right Hand (you know...Tek's royal servants)

Any of you care to share your own list?

Not right now, but I was thinking I like Dragoon.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

What I thought would be cool, would be certain divisions and titles that have nothing to do with the chain of command. Like, you could be a private, but you would be (for lack of a better example) Private of Communications and you'd be the poor bastard that has to sit back and psi and relay carry messages and stuff. While you have no authority over other privates, you're not just a plain, bland old private. You're a little more specific than that.

Also, I'm not sure if Half-Giants can make Sarge or not, but why have them stop there? They're big stupid brutes, and you don't want them making too important of decisions as a Sarge, but why have them stop and sit at private the rest of their lives? Give them their own cool HG ranks. Like, after private, a human could go to Sarge, but a half-giant could go to Lifter of Heavy Objects or some kind of HG specific rank. Gives the HG players something to strive for. Make the HG's feel important so that they don't turn on us.  :shock:

Finally, I liked most of Manhattan's ranks with the exception of blitzer.  I liked Conscript. People leave the Arm. Get fired and what not, so during your early days Conscript works, I think.  Hussar? ... Don't seem like a good general rank, but if some ranger who signs up manages to max out his riding skills enough, maybe he could be given the honorary title of Hussar. Not part of the regular chain of command, but something special to strive for and set your character aside from all the other boringly titled privates.
i] Sarge's Lifting Advice:[/i] Don't lift with your legs. Your back's the strongest muscle in your body! And look man, your knees aren't even locked. How do you expect to stand up straight? Put your groin into it!

"Dragoon" makes me think of Legend of the Dragoon.

One of the most awesome games ever to hit the playstation.  EVAR.

(Except SHE sucked.  BIGTIME.  Until you put in a LOT of work on her.)

Sorry. I can't address someone in game as "Dragoon" without that mental image.  It doesn't sound very "Arm-ish" either.  Sounds more, I don't know, European or Tolkienish.  When I think Armageddon, desert, etc, I mostly think of typically far-eastern cultures and names.

I'd put a lot of work on her.  Definitely.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

I like the word Dragoon. I don't give a fuck what it reminds you of.
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

... and just as you've stated your opinion, I stated mine.

Quote from: "halfhuman"Also, I'm not sure if Half-Giants can make Sarge or not, but why have them stop there? They're big stupid brutes, and you don't want them making too important of decisions as a Sarge, but why have them stop and sit at private the rest of their lives? Give them their own cool HG ranks. Like, after private, a human could go to Sarge, but a half-giant could go to Lifter of Heavy Objects or some kind of HG specific rank. Gives the HG players something to strive for. Make the HG's feel important so that they don't turn on us.  :shock:

That's actually a really good idea. Come up with some ranks, halfhuman!

A dragoon was traditionally a soldier trained to fight on foot, but transport himself on horseback. In other words, he moved as cavalry but fought as infantry.

There. Straight from Wikipedia.

I wasn't sure which rank would be more correct. Skirmisher, or phalanx. Phalanx is a type of skirmisher....so...yeah....

Quote from: "Delirium"Sorry. I can't address someone in game as "Dragoon" without that mental image.
Do you wonder if the Templars in game are the ones protecting the bloodline of Christ in some crappy fiction book?  I guess I can see how certain terms could be a little different to get used to but so long as it is appropriate I don't see why a term can't get Zalanthafied.

Over all, I don't much like the list, Footman is alright, as is his right hand.

But, I'd think you'd want something a bit more, Zalanthian/nakky.

Lowest rank I'd keep at recruit, then go from there.
Footman would be nice for next.
For most of the higher ones, I'd probly use multi word titles.
Like, below His right hand maybe something Like Dragon Marshal.
I like Inquisitor too. Maybe something like Enforcer for one, or His Enforcer, Enforcer of the Arm.

Guess what I'm getting at is, using titles granted to RL earth ranks/soldier etc, just does not seem to fit.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: "Manhattan"Phalanx is a type of skirmisher....so...yeah....

Phalanx is not a skirmisher.  A phalanx is a formation of soldiers.  With the Greeks, the general soldier was referred to as a hoplite.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: "Dalmeth"
Quote from: "Manhattan"Phalanx is a type of skirmisher....so...yeah....

Phalanx is not a skirmisher.  A phalanx is a formation of soldiers.  With the Greeks, the general soldier was referred to as a hoplite.

Whoops, meant peltast, the light infantry (skirmishers). Hoplites were the heavy infantry.

dragoon reminds me of the french dragoons that got owned in the battle of waterloo.

i think it'd be a cool IG term.

Legend of Dragoon was freaking awesome. I'd love to be a Dragoon just to pay homage to that game.

Took some ideas and incorporated it. The list is altered a bit.

Ready to be sent to Halaster!

Nice list so far.  I'd also reccomend not relying too much on actual ranks from military organizations in the real world.  It would be interesting to see some new 'made up' ranks with the idea of desert warfare in mind.  Perhaps some more use of jade and dragon imagery would also be interesting.

I'd personally also like to see a multiple-track progression for AoD employees.  There could be militant and non-militant tracks, with ranks like 'Mounted Kankrider' for scout PCs or '3rd Assistant Tactician' for non-combatant PCs.  Other ideas might take the names of unique creatures and combine their traits with job titles.  

It might be interesting to try to consider what new types of special roles we could create for PCs based on titles they are awarded.  When you give someone a title like 'Lesser Liason to the Nobility' you are suddenly creating a bridge between the gruff military and the noble players.  It might be interesting to try to create titles that give PCs good reasons to interact and plot.  That said, I'd shy away from terms like 'legions' and 'inquisitor' as those are pretty uniquely Tuluki terms in game.
brainz: it's what's for dinner.

Is Halaster interested in making the AOD ranks non-linear?
I thought we were just renaming the ranks.

If it is becoming non-linear, then I'll have to resubmit.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Rank ideas:

Green  

Sentry

Warrior of the dragon

Shadow of drov

Kraths nightmare

Weaponsmaster *name* *and then his weapon of choice* example:  "I am weaponsmaster Ritley of the axe"

Right hand of Tek

I propose we change the militia into, basically, a big frat house.

Alpha Omega Delta will will be the new name, and we can replace "recruits" with "pledges", our privates with "brothers", and our Sargeant with a forty-three year old man named Larry who still hangs around the place, though he was dismissed over 20 years ago.
i] Sarge's Lifting Advice:[/i] Don't lift with your legs. Your back's the strongest muscle in your body! And look man, your knees aren't even locked. How do you expect to stand up straight? Put your groin into it!

Also, somebody had the idea of half-giant only ranks, I like that idea too.

Simple things.
Buckler of Tek
Shield of Tek
Wall of Tek
Mekillot Bane
Something like that.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: "Ritley"Rank idea:

Green  

Sentry

Warrior of the dragon

Shadow of drov

Kraths nightmare

Weaponsmaster *name* *and then his weapon of choice* example:  "I am weaponsmaster Ritley of the axe"

Right hand of Tek

Right arm of Tek

Commander of the almighty arm of Tektolness

Were we supposed to submit non-militant ranks as well?
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

So basically we're not just renaming the ranks. We're restructuring the entire organization!!! Krath help us.  :shock:

Comentator
Poster
Long Poster
Lord of the Board

Oh, wait, AoD ranks...

Recruit (trainee)
Warrior (City Watch)
Dragoon (Also in charge of outside threats, military action)
Sargent (Recruiting and training, also leads actions)
Captain (highest non-app position)
Lord Commander (Noble rank only)
Sword of the Dragon (Noble rank only)

my two 'sids.

Morrolan
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Footsoldier/"Soldier" - Private
Dragoon - Corporal
Sheriff - Sergeant
Brigadier - Lieutenant
Primus Protector - Captain
Inquisitor - (Special Ops under Templarment)
Grand Marshal - General
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Trainee level: Recruit
Private level: Soldier
Magicker: Bane
Corporal level: Elite [Soldier]
Sergeant level: Sergeant
Lieutenant level: Subcaptain
Captain level: Captain
Special Ops: Talon/Alley Freak (like a Dune Freak [anakore])
General level: High Captain
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Ah...what the heck.  Other people are sharing their suggestions, and I'm enjoying reading them.  Here are the ones I came up with.

(from low to high)

Soldier
Adroit
Overseer
Impetus
Obligator
Imperator

(As I understand it, "Imperator" was a commander type rank in Ancient Rome, and eventually evolved into something more significant.  I just thought it was a cool sounding rank.  Obligator is just a made up term in a similar vein.)
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

It's just a discussion and I'm not comitting to anything.  But, if you'd like to submit an "entire restructuring" of the ranks, that's fine.  If you want to include not combatants, that's fine.  If you want a special line for half-giants, that's fine.  I'll end up weeding out the ones I like, then sharing those with Naiona and we'll go from there.  So, submit whatever you want - I'll use what I want, heh.

Dragoon really isn't a 'rank' as much as a type of soldier. A dragoon rode to a fight, then dismounted and fought. It would be the equivalent of saying, 'Congratulations, I'm promoting you from private to rifleman!'.

I have made a decision and made changes to the rank structure of the Allanaki Militia.  Thanks for submitting ideas.

What are they?

You'll have to find out In-Character.  The only difference that should be common knowledge is that I fixed the ordering so that Corporal and Sergeant now parallel real life.

Great...my character ran about avoiding/spying on the AoD for his entire life yet he's never heard of the rank above Sergeant...and will probably be confused as hell when he does hear it...

Should we assume that some sort of secrecy surroundes these upper-rankers? Do they state their rank in public?

Assume almost all the higher ranks are totally unknown to almost everyone.
brainz: it's what's for dinner.

seriously the ranks are nothing special. if you know 1 is private, 2 is corporal, 3 is sergeant, you can pretty damn well assume what the rest are....unless you're retarded.

The structure is not very good, you have too many people in command.  You cannot have 10 commanders with this playerbase until you have at least 20-30 grunts.  It needs to be more basic.

Jail Bait
Bait
Live Bait
Rare Bait
Cannon Fodder!
"rogues do it from behind"
Quote[19:40] FightClub: tremendous sandstorm i can't move.
[19:40] Clearsighted: Good
[19:41] Clearsighted: Tremendous sandstorms are gods way of saving the mud from you.