If there were a third city-state it would be...

Started by Arabian Nights, September 29, 2005, 01:26:04 PM

Not so long ago the place was like a third city, it had so many PCs.

So I'm not sure where you're getting that perception from.  The pbase goes in cycles.

Besides, I wasn't asking.  Just suggesting. ;)

A mysterious race of intelligent cactii have slowly infiltrated much of the Known World and perfected the genetic creation of "sentient sandcloth" to be filtered into the markets of every corner of Zalanthas.  At first, the sandcloth, which is capable of some advanced psionic disciplines, transmits information to the cactii people until such a time they can put forward their master plan.

They will first convince all ranks of high authority to purchase more of the sandcloth and mandate its use in every headpiece ever worn.  It will then influence high level Kadian officials to create a marketing campaign that makes sandcloth headgear "all the rage".  The cactii leader, known only as "The Spikey One" will also plant his sandcloth into the elven, halfling and other nations of the Known World until every being, including the great Sorcerer-Kings themselves, succumb to either psionic or peer pressure.

Once the sandcloth is in place, the cactii will simultaneously paralyze all beings of the Known World and begin the most horrible acts of vengeance ever construed.  They shall move from being to being and cut THEM in half, drinking from their coils, with only the bravery of a few random black snakes standing between them and total domination.

Impossible?  Perhaps.  But...is that sandcloth you're wearing?

*cue eerie music*

He totally got that from Star Trek, I bet.
Dig?

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"No extra City-state for me. THanks, but no thanks.

We have:
Allanak
Tuluk
The 'rinth.
Luir's Outpost.
Red Storm
Red Storm East
Blackwing outpost.
Gith Mesa
Mantis Valley

Not enough cities to you?
Enough for me.

Half of those aren't even cities. RSE is like 4 rooms. The 'rinth is part of allanak just a dirty foul lawless quarter. The d-elf outpost is far too small and only has 1 tavern. Gith and Mantis don't have cities either. We have 2 cities, Allanak and Tuluk.
"A man's reputation is what other people think of him; his character is what he really is."

Quote from: "RunningMountain"
Quote from: "Maybe42or54"Not enough cities to you?
Enough for me.
Half of those aren't even cities. <snip>

Two cities
Two lawless "underbelly" locations
Four outposts
Several farms
At least ten tribal/cultural encampments/villages, some of them quite large

We've still got plenty.

Quote from: "Delirium"
Quote from: "Maybe42or54"Not enough cities to you?
Enough for me.
Half of those aren't even cities. <snip>

Two cities
Four outposts
Several farms

We've still got plenty.

And "other" unnamed places. :shock:  I agree, there is plenty to go around.

Me, I like LoD's post. I get dibs on playing a snake. :)
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

Quote from: "Delirium"
Two cities
Four outposts
Several farms

...and a vestric in a maar tree!

Sorry.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

I'll attest that Luir's isn't exactly "hopping" like 'Nak, but it's active, and not exactly "small."
Quote from: ShalooonshTuluk: More Subtly Hot. If you can't find action in Tuluk, you're from Allanak.
Quote from: Southie"In His Radiance" -> I am a traitor / I've been playing too much in Tuluk recently.

Half of those aren't even cities. RSE is like 4 rooms.

That is actually not true.  RSE, at least last time I was there, is a fully developed area.  You could conceivably base a PC out of there and have all the basics covered.  Granted, RSE is not exactly happening in terms of PC activity, but it isn't small or barren in terms of how it is developed.  If someone wanted to create an isolated clan that was still in an outpost, RSE would be a perfectly fine place to do it.  Of course, I can think of more then one other place that has not been mentioned that could also serve as staging areas.  Hrm... makes me want to think up some nasty group and start then up in some place obscure...

Cities aren't going to develop unless there are resources available to generate agriculture which in turn causes people to live sedentary lives around those resources which in turn causes them to defend those resources which leads to organization which leads to greater accumulations of people at those sites to handle the needs of those there which continues to repeat the above chain.

Now, given the scant availability of resources in Zalanthas and thus the harsher lifestyle than what most real-world models would experience, it's probably safe to say that city growth would be smaller.  If you use Mesopotamia as an example, you'll end up with populations ranging from say a couple thousand to perhaps 50,000 (given the differences in resource availability, estimating such populations are more difficult).

Point is, if there isn't a suitable amount of resources in the area, sustained populations aren't likely to be maintained or even occur.  Who knows how many civilizations have ceased to exist because they simply couldn't meet the needs of organized habitation on anything but a very small scale.

Given the environmental conditions, a handful of cities in the 5000-10,000 range is probably more than the planet can sustain.  Any more and nature thins out the population by starvation and disease.

Take care,

Jason
o longer playing and password scrambled so IMs won't reach me.  Sorry.

Both Tuluk and 'nak have about 350-400k citizens each, villages included.

On topic:
An underground city of a mysterious race noone ever seen, but there are some artifacts to be found.
Later on, it'd turn out that anakore are quite intelligent and have their own culture and a complicated class system using claws length as the main way to say one's social position.
Quote from: VanthA well-placed grunt can be worth a thousand words.

Quote from: "Anael"Both Tuluk and 'nak have about 350-400k citizens each, villages included.

A ridiculous figure given the environment.  One-tenth that number would be a number unlikely to be sustainable without far greater agriculture and availability of resources for any significant amount of time.

Where do people get their food?  Someone has to be growing it.  Producing enough food for 350,000 people is going to require massive agriculture.  Hunting is a poor way to get food since the amount of time expended doesn't produce enough food to live off, especially in an environment where hunting is tough enough that people have to go around armored.  Where do they get their water?  A single location (or two) to get water in a city of 350,000?  Good luck getting water this week.

This isn't a case of "fantasy" and "suspending your disbelief".  This is just piss-poor design if that number is the serious estimate given after anything longer than two seconds of thought.  Plus, there's no need for such a large population.  It doesn't really serve any purpose game-wise.

The number of settlements is quite acceptable given the environment though.  Not really a need/ability to create more without taking into consideration numerous factors such as the importation of resources (yes, I had a PC who was thinking of doing such things but I fully expected him to fail since it's unlikely to succeed).

So, no I can't see a need for more settlements because there's no motivation or capability for their survival.  Also, if that 350k+ figure is accurate, a serious revision of population figures is in order.

Jason

Richter writes:
QuoteWhere do people get their food? Someone has to be growing it. Producing enough food for 350,000 people is going to require massive agriculture. Hunting is a poor way to get food since the amount of time expended doesn't produce enough food to live off, especially in an environment where hunting is tough enough that people have to go around armored. Where do they get their water? A single location (or two) to get water in a city of 350,000? Good luck getting water this week.

This isn't a case of "fantasy" and "suspending your disbelief". This is just piss-poor design if that number is the serious estimate given after anything longer than two seconds of thought. Plus, there's no need for such a large population. It doesn't really serve any purpose game-wise.

This all sounds like a good research project for you to undertake if you want to know all the answers.  Why do you feel there's only one source of water?  Because that's the only place PC's are able to obtain water in a coded manner?  I guess that means the entire populace has to follow the model that's more clearly based off playability than realism.

No.  The idea that every single living person in Allanak has to walk to the temple to obtain water is simply narrow thinking.  I would imagine most organizations order their water supply from the family/group that owns and operates it.  The source?  Do you know?  Does anyone really know?  Is it even represented in game to its fullest?  Last I checked there were some elementalists capable of creating water pretty much out of thin air with gems around their necks.  Have you taken the Pepsi challenge with regular water sold at the temple and magick water?

As for food, do you live in a city?  Does that city grow all its own food?  Or does it import food from areas that -do- have the agriculture to support it?  I'd imagine its the latter, and while Allanak does have in game sources of both agriculture and livestock, there are other remote areas that have the same which I expect to export food to Allanak.

I will agree with you that someone wanting to track and view the entire resource chain from beginning to end is going to be left wanting, but I would stray from calling it "piss-poor design" over a more plausible explanation, such as ignorance (both IC and OOC) in how the city manages its resources coupled with the common design issue of reward on your investment of time.

-LoD

Don't forget that both Allanak and Tuluk are being run by the two single most powerful sorcerers in the world, as far as anyone is aware.  Tektolnes buried Steinal under the sands with a storm that, I imagine, needed less than a single IC week to finish the job.
This is a guy with insane magick powers.  I'm sure that if Tektolnes really wanted to, he could support a city three times as large as Allanak and bring every single citizen out of poverty.

And Muk Utep can't be that inferior to Tektolnes, if he is at all.  After all, Tektolnes didn't manage to dispose of him...apparently.

And the same goes with food.  Export of food exists, and there are more food sources out there than simply the scrabs outside the walls.  Mekillots have a lot of meat on them.

As for a third city state, as I said before - I'd much rather an almost completely mundane city, without a sorcerer king, nobles or templars.  It could have a senate composed of large commoner families, or be composed of multiple human and elven tribes living in uneasy peace.
Also, that city state would execute any female whose breasts are larger than her brain.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Quote from: "richter"Where do people get their food?  Someone has to be growing it.  Producing enough food for 350,000 people is going to require massive agriculture.  Hunting is a poor way to get food since the amount of time expended doesn't produce enough food to live off, especially in an environment where hunting is tough enough that people have to go around armored.  Where do they get their water?  A single location (or two) to get water in a city of 350,000?  Good luck getting water this week.

There are a few points to consider.  First, I would say that none of the cities are represented fully.  I don't think that the all of the Allanak commons consists of 9 blocks, 3-4 of which are taken up with non-housing.  It is safe to assume that the size of the cities is under drawn for playabilities sake.  If you recall when Tuluk was first rebuilt, no one was terribly fond of Tuluk when there was an attempt to render it in its full sized glory.  I would say it is safe to say that there is more then one point where templars distribute water, but that these places are not fully rendered in game.

As to food, there is a very good explanation as to where food comes from in Allanak.  I can't speak for Tuluk, but I know that Allanak utilizes massive amounts of farm land not just around Allanak, but in multiple other areas as well.

Any new city would obviously have to be ruled by a Sorceror-QUEEN who then seduces both Tek and Muk and manipulates them into doing her will.

Duh.
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

I happen to know that there is a part of the land dedicated to growing in in the area between the Plains Gate and Chaitya's Gate in Tuluk.  It's along the southern part.  Go there and check it out somtime.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: "Vanth"Any new city would obviously have to be ruled by a Sorceror-QUEEN who then seduces both Tek and Muk and manipulates them into doing her will.

Is her name Vanth?
Quote from: VanthA well-placed grunt can be worth a thousand words.

Quote from: "LoD"Richter writes:
QuoteWhere do people get their food? Someone has to be growing it. Producing enough food for 350,000 people is going to require massive agriculture. Hunting is a poor way to get food since the amount of time expended doesn't produce enough food to live off, especially in an environment where hunting is tough enough that people have to go around armored. Where do they get their water? A single location (or two) to get water in a city of 350,000? Good luck getting water this week.

This isn't a case of "fantasy" and "suspending your disbelief". This is just piss-poor design if that number is the serious estimate given after anything longer than two seconds of thought. Plus, there's no need for such a large population. It doesn't really serve any purpose game-wise.

This all sounds like a good research project for you to undertake if you want to know all the answers.  Why do you feel there's only one source of water?  Because that's the only place PC's are able to obtain water in a coded manner?  I guess that means the entire populace has to follow the model that's more clearly based off playability than realism.

No.  The idea that every single living person in Allanak has to walk to the temple to obtain water is simply narrow thinking.  I would imagine most organizations order their water supply from the family/group that owns and operates it.  The source?  Do you know?  Does anyone really know?  Is it even represented in game to its fullest?  Last I checked there were some elementalists capable of creating water pretty much out of thin air with gems around their necks.  Have you taken the Pepsi challenge with regular water sold at the temple and magick water?

Again, the "magick water" argument doesn't hold...well, water.  Why?  If magick can create water, why can't it create an abundance of metal?  Why don't the elementalists have legions of metal-armored troops if they can simply create something.  I'm not disputing that such skills exist in-game, I'm suggesting that it's a poorly-conceived design to accomodate for large populations.  Now, if the process is difficult or costly in time, it would make sense as to why such things aren't done routinely.  However, that would also disallow for such processes being used to support large populations, since the amount of water needed to maintain a population would be considerably larger an order.

QuoteAs for food, do you live in a city?  Does that city grow all its own food?  Or does it import food from areas that -do- have the agriculture to support it?  I'd imagine its the latter, and while Allanak does have in game sources of both agriculture and livestock, there are other remote areas that have the same which I expect to export food to Allanak.

Rome didn't grow its own food.  It imported it from other parts of the Empire, most notably Egypt.  However, Rome's population, while some estimate it as high as 1,000,000 at its peak, is generally accepted around a figure of 100,000.  One-hundred thousand, despite more advanced technologies and far more arable growing areas than you'll find on Zalanthas.  The Greek city-states everyone is familiar with were little more than large villages by modern population standards.  Quite often, only a few thousand inhabitants constituted their populations.

QuoteI will agree with you that someone wanting to track and view the entire resource chain from beginning to end is going to be left wanting, but I would stray from calling it "piss-poor design" over a more plausible explanation, such as ignorance (both IC and OOC) in how the city manages its resources coupled with the common design issue of reward on your investment of time.

Actually, I significantly doubt any such "plausible explanation" exists.  Why?  The mechanics for such a design would most likely have to incorporate exagerrated calculations and under-developed realization of limitations in production.  Large concentrated populations without significant technological advancement and resources are just not possible.  And even when such populations do rise, they inevitably collapse through a lack of sustainability.

Quote from: "Larrath"And the same goes with food. Export of food exists, and there are more food sources out there than simply the scrabs outside the walls. Mekillots have a lot of meat on them.

Hunting is the most inefficient means of obtaining food.  The term "hunter-gatherer society" is a misnomer.  It should read "gatherer-hunter society" or just plain "gatherer society" since the hunters bring in little, and insignificant at that, of the food their cultures need to survive.  It's mostly ritualistic and tradition.  Without the women who do the gathering, such cultures would starve.

Additionally, agriculture based on livestock requires either a) significant grazing area, or b) significant crop production to feed the livestock.  For example, corn production in the U.S. does not directly feed the population.  Over 40% of corn grown in the U.S. is fed to livestock.  Perhaps a quarter of total corn production is consumed by the population, a majority of that in the form of corn starch and corn syrup.

Something that people today don't realize is that aside from the century or so, meat has never constituted a significant portion of the diet of any culture.  Without technological and agricultural advances to increase food production, people don't eat meat.  They may claim they eat meat, but an examination of their diet reveals otherwise.

And importation of food in significant quantities to sustain a large population is difficult if not impossible.  Cities are not out of the question, but the modern concept of a city's population is ridiculous.  Until fairly recent times (last two or three centuries), concentrated populations were simply not possible given technological limitations.  Zalanthas is even more confined by such limitations.  Five thousand?  Sure.  Ten thousand?  Yeah, it's probably possible with a good degree of organization.  Fifteen thousand?  Perhaps.  But 350,000?  Not a chance.

Take care,

Jason

Quote from: "Vivaduan (among the most common type of elementalists) Helpfile"
  Water elementalists are the most valuable mages in existence on the
parched desert world of Zalanthas. There is no better companion than an
expert water mage on a long journey.
  Most magicks of water mages stem from Vivadu, the elemental plane of
water. Water mages are able to conjure water from that plane with ease,
and can learn to have complete control over all waters, to poison or
purify, to create or destroy.

Whether or not magickers can create metal, find out IC.  What magick can do in-game?  Find out IC.  Magick exists in Zalanthas, and there is FAR more magick out there than you realize.  How much water can a single water elementalist create in a day?  Find out IC.  Can Tektolnes make fifty times that much in one minute?  I say it's a safe bet.
Your suggestion that this is a poor design has been rejected.

A mekillot isn't a grizzly bear that can feed eight people.  A mekillot is a GIGANTIC reptile, roughly the size of an small suburban house, and they feed on enormous salt worms.  A mekillot has more meat than twenty bears.  Stop thinking in RL terms, or at least think more in the terms of a society where whale-hunters supply some meat.  Bring in a few large whales and there is a big bunch of meat.

Rome was not in a fantasy world.  Allanak is.  Allanak's farming, for all we know, could well be supported by magick.  And don't start saying "well magick blah blah magick snowmen".  There IS magick in Zalanthas, whether you like it or not, and one prominent person in Zalanthas, Tektolnes, once used it to bury an entire city-state under the sand.  We're not talking about pulling pennies from inside people's ears.

Meat constitutes a large portion of the diet of most Zalanthan cultures, because it's more readily available than large quantities of fruit.

Do everyone a favor, richter, and learn why these things are IC and STOP comparing everything to the real world and to Rome.  This is not the real world, and bring up another snowman and I swear I will kill you.  Get with the program.  Please.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Quote from: "Larrath"
Quote from: "Vivaduan (among the most common type of elementalists) Helpfile"
  Water elementalists are the most valuable mages in existence on the
parched desert world of Zalanthas. There is no better companion than an
expert water mage on a long journey.
  Most magicks of water mages stem from Vivadu, the elemental plane of
water. Water mages are able to conjure water from that plane with ease,
and can learn to have complete control over all waters, to poison or
purify, to create or destroy.

Whether or not magickers can create metal, find out IC.  What magick can do in-game?  Find out IC.  Magick exists in Zalanthas, and there is FAR more magick out there than you realize.  How much water can a single water elementalist create in a day?  Find out IC.  Can Tektolnes make fifty times that much in one minute?  I say it's a safe bet.
Your suggestion that this is a poor design has been rejected.

Rejected is a poor choice of terms.  Denied is more accurate.

QuoteA mekillot isn't a grizzly bear that can feed eight people.  A mekillot is a GIGANTIC reptile, roughly the size of an small suburban house, and they feed on enormous salt worms.  A mekillot has more meat than twenty bears.  Stop thinking in RL terms, or at least think more in the terms of a society where whale-hunters supply some meat.  Bring in a few large whales and there is a big bunch of meat.

And how are you bringing this "GIGANTIC reptile" back?  Towing it across the desert?  That takes time.  Meat rots, which is why it's cooked or salted.  So how are you bringing all this meat back?  You can't simply drag it behind your boat (or salt it and take it back...why...cause you aren't using a boat).

QuoteRome was not in a fantasy world.  Allanak is.  Allanak's farming, for all we know, could well be supported by magick.  And don't start saying "well magick blah blah magick snowmen".  There IS magick in Zalanthas, whether you like it or not, and one prominent person in Zalanthas, Tektolnes, once used it to bury an entire city-state under the sand.  We're not talking about pulling pennies from inside people's ears.

I don't doubt nor do I question the inclusion of magick in the game world (as is said, it's fantasy).  However, the "magick argument" falls apart when you use it for excusing oversight in design.  So he buried an entire city-state under sand.  It's easier to destroy than it is create.  That's something everyone, from a toddler to an old man learns.  It's entropy in practice.  But the constant attention to maintain a uselessly large population through application of magick defies reason.

QuoteMeat constitutes a large portion of the diet of most Zalanthan cultures, because it's more readily available than large quantities of fruit.

I'm not doubting that.  In fact, I'm it actually supports my position.  It is why large populations become impractical because of the amount of energy that must be exerted to feed a population through such an inefficient becomes a limiting factor on population growth and sustainability.

QuoteDo everyone a favor, richter, and learn why these things are IC and STOP comparing everything to the real world and to Rome.  This is not the real world, and bring up another snowman and I swear I will kill you.  Get with the program.  Please.

Your frustration suggests you're aware of the rationalizations you're using to support a flawed premise.  I'm not going to threaten to "kill you" if you maintain your ignorance and irrational thought.  But I appreciate the "please" so I'll use the same.  To use your own words, "do everyone a favor" and think about the how and why instead of accepting everything without question and rationalizing reasons for your stubborn acceptance of concepts that even you seem to realize don't make sense.  Please.

Take care,

Jason

QuoteSomething that people today don't realize is that aside from the century or so, meat has never constituted a significant portion of the diet of any culture. Without technological and agricultural advances to increase food production, people don't eat meat. They may claim they eat meat, but an examination of their diet reveals otherwise.

And importation of food in significant quantities to sustain a large population is difficult if not impossible. Cities are not out of the question, but the modern concept of a city's population is ridiculous. Until fairly recent times (last two or three centuries), concentrated populations were simply not possible given technological limitations. Zalanthas is even more confined by such limitations. Five thousand? Sure. Ten thousand? Yeah, it's probably possible with a good degree of organization. Fifteen thousand? Perhaps. But 350,000? Not a chance.

Take care,

Jason

I understand the point you're trying to make, but I think that any number of justifications can be made to counter your arguement that won't satisfy you because they aren't rooted in our world.  I chose long ago to avoid dissatisfaction with accepting the fact that Zalanthas is not Earth, its people are not Earth humans and its structure is never going to be easily explainable.  The most important thing is to understand that for the game to operate efficiently and be entertaining, it doesn't have to be.

If you argue this point, why not argue these as well:

1. How can people POSSIBLY use telepathy to communicate?
2. Fireballs from someone's fingers!?  What's that about?
3. Uh...that guy just "created" some water out of nothing, what a crock.
4. Sentient bugs?  There's nothing like that on Earth!
5. That whole sorc-king killing you with his mind is such balone...urk!

There are likely thousands of topics that don't match traditions, physics or truths of our mundane planet, Earth.  The reason they work in game is because we suspend belief and accept some truths even though they may not work out in our world.

-Zalanthan humans may not need as much food/water to survive.
-Magick may play a part in how the city populace is maintained.
-Foods with enchanced nutrional value may result in lowered needs.

Who knows?  I don't.  You don't.  If someone stood up at a screening of "Finding Nemo" and started debating this movie is "piss-poor" because fish can't really talk, would you stand up and agree or ask him to sit down, be quiet and let you enjoy the game...er movie. ;)

-LoD

Quote from: "LoD"I understand the point you're trying to make, but I think that any number of justifications can be made to counter your arguement that won't satisfy you because they aren't rooted in our world.  I chose long ago to avoid dissatisfaction with accepting the fact that Zalanthas is not Earth, its people are not Earth humans and its structure is never going to be easily explainable.  The most important thing is to understand that for the game to operate efficiently and be entertaining, it doesn't have to be.

The problem is that some of these things, like the population discrepancies, are not rooted in design so much as misconception.  I routinely find that people believe that cities are always large and that people always eat meat.  These thoughts are the result of our culture's relative ignorance of anything outside of the last few years.  On the MUD I used to work for, it was discovered that weapon weights were all much higher than they should be.  Why?  Because the people that built them earlier had never actually held a sword in their hand.  They thought a broadsword weighed eight pounds.  In discussing Greek city-states with people, they were always amazed to learn that the population of Athens in the 4th Century BCE was not hundreds of thousands or millions.  Why? Because their concept of cities was influenced by modern populations of millions.  I recall many, many years ago when a professor asked the class what the population of the New World was before the Columbian conquest.  Every estimate (except my own, being the only historian in the group) was at least ten times too small.  Why?  Because they all based their estimates on modern figures of "traditional cultures" in reservations and the mistaken belief that the Mayans, Aztecs, and Inca were not extinct...they're still around, just aren't often identified by such names.

Quote1. How can people POSSIBLY use telepathy to communicate?
2. Fireballs from someone's fingers!?  What's that about?
3. Uh...that guy just "created" some water out of nothing, what a crock.
4. Sentient bugs?  There's nothing like that on Earth!
5. That whole sorc-king killing you with his mind is such balone...urk!

There are likely thousands of topics that don't match traditions, physics or truths of our mundane planet, Earth. The reason they work in game is because we suspend belief and accept some truths even though they may not work out in our world.

Agreed, and I don't have a problem with fantasy as a genre.  It's acceptable that there are differences between reality and fantasy worlds.  Fantasy elements as part of the design are fine.  But that doesn't excuse ignorance as a reason for turning to fantasy.  With most of the game, real expecatations of certain aspects are accepted (bone comes from animals, and is not grown in pots from seeds; people eat food and wear clothes, not vice vera).  Why?  Because the game conforms to those expectations.  But there are a few instances where the game doesn't conform to those expectations, yet fantasy explanations weren't provided to explain.  Instead, they were provided afterwards by players to excuse when the discrepancies were noticed.

And again, I ask, what difference would it make if the population for Allanak was reasonably lowered to 20,000 to reflect a more rational and defensible figure?  None.  It only serves to strengthen the theme by making good on the claim of an exhaustive, comprehensive design.

Take care,

Jason

Allanak houses roughly half a million people.  Though not in the documents, this is official.  Explanations as to why and how it is possible are priveleged information that should be chased in-game.  I'm sure Tektolnes has some reason to make a city-state and let people live there.
Whatever experience you've had in former MUDs and weapon weights, or what people think about greek city-states, just doesn't really matter here.

Bone coming from animals and bone having any fixed strength are two very different things, and don't pretend that they're not.  Zalanthas' sky is seen as red or orange in most parts.  That's the way it is.  Allanak is capable of supporting half a million citizens, though a vast majority of those live in terrible poverty.

What difference would it make?  It would make a difference when you have other groups with fixed numbers, such as tribes, mercenary companies and various other things.  If the population of Allanak was 20,000 then 10,000 would be slaves that maintain the entire huge city, another 500 or so would be templars or nobles, 8,000 or so would be elves or dwarves, leaving 1,500 free citizens in Allanak.  Say 500 of those are half-elves, leaving 1,000 citizens, over half of which are mercenaries.

The game is the way it is, richter.  Seeming small flaws in the game and pointing them out while trying to help is a positive thing.  Half-finding half-inventing basic flaws in the very core of the game and expecting THOSE to be fixed, creating a huge waste of time for the staff for no help whatsoever (an example would be having every other bone weapon edited to mention oil treatment to keep it from falling apart, or whatever) is not only not helpful, but it is also very annoying.
You said it yourself:
Quote from: "richter"I ask, what difference would it make if the population for Allanak was reasonably lowered to 20,000 to reflect [a figure I am personally more accepting towards]? None.
No difference.

I am officially finished with this thread.  Please take a look at yourself, richter, at those boards, and try to picture how your posts are received, and take my word, as a normally rather nice person, that it's unlikely anyone cheers when they see you've made a new post.