Why don't D-elves get an accent?

Started by A desert Elf, September 09, 2004, 09:58:21 PM

Quote from: "Bestatte"I like the general idea of what ShaLeah suggests, but think it could run into some pretty ridiculous settings:

The tall and obese figure wearing a dusty, bulging hooded desert-camouflaged greatcloak and a bloodied, mottled purple sandcloth veil says to you, in indiscernably-accented, northern-sirihish:
"No."

You forgot to ass the say-mote to make it even more ridiculous. :)

I agree that it can make for pretty long says and talks, however... seeing as we're a detail oriented world, I think we'd eventually get used to it.  I don't pay attention to cloaks and veils anymore even though at first I found them a bit jarring. I think of all the possibilities of having an accent code that detailed and I giggle like a school girl because the realism would be heightened for -me-.  Anytime I see a northern-accented anything I "hear" it differently than if I was listening to a southern-accented thing. I want more realism, not less.  :wink:
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

As currently implemented, accents are dependent on your starting location and are set at the time you point in the Hall in Kings.  If you start in Tuluk, you will have a northern accent, regardless of race.  If you start in the south, you will have a southern accent, regardless of race.

I would be glad to add one for the DE outpost, but would like something a little more elegant than "an allundean accent".  Suggestions are welcome.

Quote from: "Sanvean"As currently implemented, accents are dependent on your starting location and are set at the time you point in the Hall in Kings.  If you start in Tuluk, you will have a northern accent, regardless of race.  If you start in the south, you will have a southern accent, regardless of race.

I would be glad to add one for the DE outpost, but would like something a little more elegant than "an allundean accent".  Suggestions are welcome.

An elvish-tribal accent?
on't worry if you're a kleptomaniac, you can always take something for it.

------

"I have more hit points that you can possible imagine." - Tek, Muk and my current PC.

Quote from: "Anarchy"
Quote from: "Sanvean"I would be glad to add one for the DE outpost, but would like something a little more elegant than "an allundean accent".  Suggestions are welcome.

An elvish-tribal accent?

See...  in most High Fantasy games, all elves are noble, and they speak a language called 'Elvish'.  That word is not a good word to use.  And 'tribal' seems a bit...iffy.  Who has other ideas for english words they've found in the thesaurus?
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: "mansa"
Quote from: "Sanvean"I would be glad to add one for the DE outpost, but would like something a little more elegant than "an allundean accent".  Suggestions are welcome.

An elvish-tribal accent?

See...  in most High Fantasy games, all elves are noble, and they speak a language called 'Elvish'.  That word is not a good word to use.  And 'tribal' seems a bit...iffy.  Who has other ideas for english words they've found in the thesaurus?

A more elegant elvish-tribal accent?
ocking a fake scream, the badass scorpion exclaims to you, in
sirihish:
"Ah! Scorpions! I pissed my Wyvern trousers! Ah!"

Yeah. I know. I was only half serious.

But since most d-elves are from a tribe. What is wrong with just having a tribal accent? Its diffrent enough so most people know its not a northern or southern accent, and vague enough so people cant be certain of where the accent comes from.

------

"I have more hit points that you can possible imagine." - Tek, Muk and my current PC.

Quote from: "Anarchy"Yeah. I know. I was only half serious.

But since most d-elves are from a tribe. What is wrong with just having a tribal accent? Its diffrent enough so most people know its not a northern or southern accent, and vague enough so people cant be certain of where the accent comes from.

I suspect because native bendune speakers have a 'tribal' accent.

Though I don't see any major reason why native allundean speakers can't have a tribal accent as well. I imagine both languages as sounding very fluid and almost sibilant, with bendune a little more run-together and allundean a little more on the sharper side. Does that make any sense whatsoever?

Quote from: "Delirium"
I suspect because native bendune speakers have a 'tribal' accent.
Though I don't see any major reason why native allundean speakers can't have a tribal accent as well. I imagine both languages as sounding very fluid and almost sibilant, with bendune a little more run-together and allundean a little more on the sharper side. Does that make any sense whatsoever?

I understand where your coming from, but having a tribal accent for those who speak bendune...is pretty much pointless, because in the bigger picture it makes little diffrence. A tribal accent is a tribal accent. Bendune should have nothing to do with it. Elves, Dwarves, humans, muls and half-elves ALL get southern accents if they pick allanak as their start location - just like they would get northern accents if they picked Tuluk. And they all speak a diffrent lanauage. So, a tribal accent of a elf, dwarf, human, mul or half-elf wouldn't be much of a diffrence, would it? a common person can tell that they arn't from the cities, so its given a broad label as tribal - just like red stormers have southern accents, and luirs folk have northern accents...

Mmm, i rambled on there, im sorry, just trying to explain myself. Hope i did.

------

After careful thought.  Why not?  I'm agreeing that the 'desert elf outpost' as a starting location should give you the 'tribal' accent.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Right.. the accent has been (from what I noticed so far) given out as 'BenduneAccent', which suggests that it was originally meant only for native bendune speakers. BUT, I think it could easily be more broadly applied to any tribal - whether elvish or human - that does not originate from a city, Luir's, or 'Storm.

So, to sum up - yeah, I say go ahead and give d-elves that start in the Blackwing Post the tribal accent.

Harshly accented?
Rhythmically accented?
Savagely accented (I liked it.)

An idea and two.
Quote from: Riev on June 12, 2019, 02:20:04 PM
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

I understand where your coming from, but having a tribal accent for those who speak bendune...is pretty much pointless, because in the bigger picture it makes little diffrence. A tribal accent is a tribal accent. Bendune should have nothing to do with it.

Anyali, who are human tribals, do not have a "tribal" accent.  They have a special Anyali-only accent.  Tribals don't all sound the same.

For elves starting in the desert elf outpost, I suggest a "tablelands" accent. Most of the delves starting there are from the tablelands, and the few random delves whose virtual tribes are elsewhere can wish up to have the appropritate northern or southern accent added.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I always pictured allundean as being a pretty rapid fire language... them speedy elves being all hell bent for quickness and efficiency.

rapidly-accented?

Maybe it's just me, but I can see an elf trying to speak any language faster than normal, just because it also helps confuse the target/buyer as well.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

From the help files, Bendune and Allundean are related languages, or at least bear some resemblence to one another.  Given that, could a sirihish speaker even differentiate the difference between the accents?  Just how close are they?
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Quote from: "Angela Christine"
I understand where your coming from, but having a tribal accent for those who speak bendune...is pretty much pointless, because in the bigger picture it makes little diffrence. A tribal accent is a tribal accent. Bendune should have nothing to do with it.

Anyali, who are human tribals, do not have a "tribal" accent.  They have a special Anyali-only accent.  Tribals don't all sound the same.

Yeah. Your right that all tribals dont sound the sound, however, the Anyali are big enough, and known enough to have their own distinct accent. We are just talking about D-elves who point to the D-elf outpost, not other starting locations. I would expect the SLK to have a diffrent accent, and the ATV also.

------

A guttural accent?
Just seems right to me.

Quote from: "moreweeds"A guttural accent?
Just seems right to me.

Nah. Mirukkim is gutteral, maybe. But not allundean..

A boorish and somewhat provencal accent with a gutteral tone?
J/K  
I like the idea of something simple, like Elven or Elven Tribal.  Maybe an Uncultured accent?  Dune Accent?  Or something like a wild accent?  Just a stream of consciousness.
he last thing in the world I want to do is to hurt you...
but it's still on the list.

Ooh.. dune-accented.

I kinda like that one.. probably wouldn't work too well, but I like it anyway.

just my stupidty here but how about:

a harsh yet flowing accent (for delves)
Don't listen to me, I'm only a newb.

Why not have no accent?

Desert elves go everywhere.  They meet everyone.  Why not pick up a little bit of everything?
-X-_

> sing (dancing around with a wand in one hand) Put that together and what do you got?  Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy Xoo!

No... no d-elves I know of do stay in a territory.. They wander for many reasons, but first; because they can :p
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Okay, so maybe they don't go everywhere, but they go to a decent amount of places and meet anyone else that shows up there.
-X-_

> sing (dancing around with a wand in one hand) Put that together and what do you got?  Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy Xoo!