What -is- this weapon?

Started by mansa, August 20, 2004, 04:57:25 PM

Anyways.   General topic, so people can just pop in with another question about a different weapon..

What is a 'sunstar' ?
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

"People survive by climbing over anyone who gets in their way, by cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise taking advantage of others."
-Ginka

"Don't do this. I can't believe I have to write this post."
-Rathustra

Quote from: "The Lonely Hunter"Oh, duh, -sun-star. Ignore me.

No, no.  Maybe a sun-star is like um, a bigger morning star, like wicked big.

I figured you were just saying that it's a fancy name for a morning star.
 wish I was witty enough to have something here.  Alas.

A bolo is a stone, or stones tied to a rope.  Some have a grip in the middle to allow it to be swung, whipped about, etc. Or thrown.

A zerka is not a common weapon, and thusly not common knowledge available to players. If you find one in game, look at it and you'll get an idea of what it is. (And if you do look at it, its very obvious what it is.)

Hope that helps.

I'm pretty sure I've seen a sunstar in game, but it isn't a flail-like creature.

It was a spiky ball that you through... been a long time since I seen it, so my mind might be playing tricks on me.
quote="Teleri"]I would highly reccomend some Russian mail-order bride thing.  I've looked it over, and it seems good.[/quote]

I think a sunstar is similar to a morningstar except it's a spiky round ball on the end of the chain.

A sunstar is a spiky object the size of a softball attached to some length of twine or leather to be hurled.  Unlike a morningstar it is pisspoor in close melee.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

So... that thing that O-Ren Shii's apprentice uses is more or less a sunstar?
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

From the way I see...A sun-star is just a round ball with spikes that can be hurled at people. A bolo is a piece of leather or rope that has a stone connected to each end...when hurled it is intended to tie up the legs of the victim and make them fall..(Though in game use is different...find out ic). A zerka is a short barbed throwing spear from the best of my understanding.

Now I want to see a picture of a "lotilus" I have never really been able to get a good idea of one.
oodness, courage, and love is a song. In my travels I have learned one thing, evil creatures can not sing.  -Drizzt Do'Urden-

What is a cestus?

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I think a cestus is like a big gauntlet with spikes and such. If memory serves me, it was favored during gladiatorial games because it was wicked looking and you had to get in close to use it.
houghts were so loud I couldn't hear my mouth.

Quote from: "WhiteRanger"Now I want to see a picture of a "lotilus" I have never really been able to get a good idea of one.
A lotilus is a mace with more than one head.  

Quote from: "Modest Mouth"I think a cestus is like a big gauntlet with spikes and such.
More of a strap that went wrist-to-knuckles (XD?).  I originally confused with just some kind of elongated brass knuckles, but after looking it up, decided it was fashionable biker wear.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

Cestii were a common sight on gladiators in ancient Rome.

They're basically ancient boxing gloves with lots of spikes/blades, or a lack thereof.

So, yeah, they're basically gauntlets with spikes, or a hard surface to increase damage. A combination of brass knuckles and boxing gloves is the best definition, then.
"The most important thing is to find out what is the most important thing." -- Shunryu Suzuki

Quote from: "Socko"They're basically ancient boxing gloves with lots of spikes/blades, or lack thereof.
If you read the description of the ingame article, it's closer to something like this than a full gauntlet.

WTF.

I know i posted on this thread.

Sunstar is a mega man boss.

Maybe I fucked up the post, and it failed to post.

But if it got ninja-deleted for being off topic, consider me angry.

(I don't think our lovely IMMs would do that to me, though. I post a lot of shit off topic.  :shock: )

A cestus, loosely, is any form of hand wear that incorporates both offensive and defensive qualities.  Most usually armor plated, with either blades or spikes or hooks upon it.

With Roman gladiators it was relied upon because it is almost impossible to disarm from your opponent (it's bloody well strapped on) unless you just dismember them.  With the audiences it was particularly popular because it takes a great deal of effort to actually f'ing kill with one.  Most cestus were littered with half to full inch spikes along the back of the hand and adorning the primary knuckles.  Some of them had a single long spike that jutted off the back of the hand, parallel with the forearm, for parrying and stabbing.  Some had hooks, for ease of gripping your opponents weapon and ripping it out of their grasps, or locking a shield so you can pull it aside, allowing an opening in defense.

----------

There are a great many earth weapons that parallel a zerka, though with respect to the staffers, I won't elaborate.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

- - A lotilus is a long staff with (typically) mace-like ends.  Difficult to wield, but formidable power should you hit anything with one.  I believe the weapons they fight with on American Gladiators qualify as lotili, despite the padded ends.  They use them in that competition... I don't know the name... where two people try to knock one another from raised platforms.
i]The Unholy Immortal of Red Storm,
The Merciless Co-Immortal of House Kurac,
The Tyrannical Developer of Skill_Wagonmaking,[/i]
Gesht

What is a kukri knife?

Gurkhas rock!  If you don't like google, use A9 or something?

Quote from: "[url=http://www.himalayan-imports.com/Powell/kukri/kukri-01.htmlSome kukri webplace[/url]"]*The knife does not have to taste blood every time it is drawn from its scabbard. Were this so, no Nepalese would survive a week with the loss of so much blood and his hands would be unable to function from multiple cuts.

*The kauri/cho is not a sighting device to be used to find and attack prey--human or animal--nor is the kukri tossed like a boomerang to come back to its owner after dispatching the target.

Quote from: "mansa"What is a kukri knife?

A totally awesome knife.

http://www.military-quotes.com/knives/gurkha-kukri.htm
hang is actually...

What is a jambiya?

Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

What is a mansa?

Quote from: "Lazloth"What is a mansa?

http://j0ram.net/mansa.jpg
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Quote from: "lazloth"What is a mansa?

That is the single most glorious possible answer on Jeopardy.

"I'll take Candian esoteric MUD folklore for 800, Alex."

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Hmm. Just cause I feel like it.

Morningstar: Mace with a spiked ball on a chain attached to the shaft, not free-swinging.

Flail: Spiked things on chains freeswinging from the shaft.

Mace: Club with a thickened, metal head at the end.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Will Farrel wields a jambiya in Austin Powers.   :shock:

Quote from: "chang"
Quote from: "mansa"What is a kukri knife?

A totally awesome knife.

http://www.military-quotes.com/knives/gurkha-kukri.htm

That's a khopesh knife.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Khopesh's curve the other way, and narrow towards the end.
-X-_

> sing (dancing around with a wand in one hand) Put that together and what do you got?  Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy, Ximminy Xamminy Xoo!

What is a kirisigi dagger?

What is a katar punch dagger?

Not sure about kirisigi.

Punch dagger has a blade that generally very broad, and tapers very quickly to the point.  The dagger's handle is basically rotated so that instead of gripping it the way you normally hold a dagger, you stab with 'punching' motions.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Katar:

http://www.goantiques.com/search/images.jsp?id=422469

If you read the description of a kirisigi dagger, you should be able to determine roughly what it looks like.  It's not too pretty, from what I remember.