The 'talk NPC' command

Started by The7DeadlyVenomz, August 03, 2004, 08:02:54 PM

When talking to an NPC, should there be an echo for the room?

Yes.
27 (79.4%)
No.
7 (20.6%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Voting closed: August 03, 2004, 08:02:54 PM

Using the talk command can be somewhat confusing for others in the room with you. I suggest giving the room the echo of PC speaks to NPC.

This would allow for a good many more rumors, talking NPCs and such, while taking the confusion out of it.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I would suggest that there should be a different command for talking to NPC, maybe speak or something.  I don't know how many times I've done this:

talk bartender  rumors

At your table you say in Sirihish:
"bartender rumors"
Vettrock

well, the idea is that you do it standing up so if you aren't at a table, and there's no rumors to be had, you don't "says, "bartender rumors"

I like T7DV's suggestion, but along the same lines I would also recommend roleplaying out the conversation when it makes sense.    This can be really fun if you (the player) already know the NPC's responses, and plan it so that your dialogue fits seamlessly with the NPC replies.
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

Quote from: "Agent_137"well, the idea is that you do it standing up so if you aren't at a table, and there's no rumors to be had, you don't "says, "bartender rumors"
Yes you can do it standing, but doesn't it make sence that you should be able to sit at the bar and chat with the bartender?
Vettrock

Quote from: "Vettrock"
Quote from: "Agent_137"well, the idea is that you do it standing up so if you aren't at a table, and there's no rumors to be had, you don't "says, "bartender rumors"
Yes you can do it standing, but doesn't it make sence that you should be able to sit at the bar and chat with the bartender?

You're so picky. Why not just lean against the bar?

Heh.

Yea,  I admit, a whole new command for getting rumors from npcs would be neat-o. But, really, i mean, put it on the list of shit to do, but way the fuck down, eh?

Yes, but I think it should be the same as talk used at a table.  So, if you talk bartender rumors, then everyone will see an echo along the lines of:

The tall, muscular man briefly exchanges a few words with the bartender.

The exception is if someone has listen, then they can get in on the info.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Quote from: "Agent_137"Yea,  I admit, a whole new command for getting rumors from npcs would be neat-o. But, really, i mean, put it on the list of shit to do, but way the fuck down, eh?
Well, actually, you would simply change the name of the command, not the command itself. Also, the adding of the echo involves but one line in the code.

Adding this would be utterly painless, as far as I understand it.

Additionally, Flurry is correct. One should RP it out. If you know the responses of the NPC, this can be very fun and add much to the alive feeling.

I'd rather alter the program so the builder can specify whether they want a room echo or not.  I've opened a bug in our database about this, but don't know when someone will get to it.

Thanks, lass.