em does something to ~someone. You do not see that person.

Started by Linedel, August 02, 2004, 12:56:28 AM

For already typed emotes aimed at someone leaving the room...

Perhaps cache a "last room" on the player, basically allowing people to hit return on their partially typed emote.. check adjacent rooms for someone with that last-room set to the doer's emote or whatever, and use the sdesc.. obviously this can't work on certain commands (kill), thus some complexity to the code...

Complex version..  actually store a linked list of 30 seconds of rooms for people.. but 5 seconds until they move a second time is probably plenty, resulting in far less code complexity...

(Half thought out post... been running around in my head for a week or two though.)

Eh, adjust your emote or something dude.

emote flips off ~blah

Not here dum dum!

emote flips off so-and-so woman while they walk away.

Don't even need a full short description. People ussually know what your talking about.
21sters Unite!

My first thought is that allowing people to include people that aren't in the same room as they are in their emotes would cause keyword headaches the likes of which the world has not yet seen.
Back from a long retirement

I use tinyfugue, so that problem is easily solved after the fact.

>The tall, muscular man nods at you.

The tall, muscular man walks south.

> emo waves at ~muscular.

You do not see that person.

> ^~muscular^the tall, muscular man

The totally awesome PC waves at the tall muscular man.

Viola.

CRW - hm.. will have to look at that...  bonus points for unix-ish replace style..

EvilRoeShade - Good point.  I think it would be handled by adding a timestamp for the simple (non list) method.  previous room and timestamp allowing maximum 5 seconds would be pretty good.

The other two posters - I'm glad you assumed I'm an idiot who can't cut paste or retype things... that's what I've been doing, but it's rather irritating, and occasionally leaves awkward pauses.

I didn't assume your an idiot, but since you feel so, you probably are.

It's a game, nothings perfect. What you suggest would be a pain in the ass to implement, allow for at least some improper usage ... And probably be in general alot of nuisance as a hole.

I'd prefer not to try and direct an emote at someone and have it go to someone else who as already left, that'd end up happening alot, and be MUCH more annoying then having to put abit more effort into it.

Creeper
21sters Unite!