n00b gear

Started by jmordetsky, August 01, 2004, 03:39:32 PM

Quote from: "Angela Christine"It also wouldn't hurt to put a line in the helpfiles for the steal skill and the theify classes saying that it is considered bad form to deliberately target newbies for their newbie cash.

A nosteal flag for the first two hours would be ok too, I guess.
In another thread, the suggestion was raised that coins were left in bank or pockets for newbies.  A nosteal flag is a poor ooc construction, imho, and thief-proponents have argued that ignoring someone because they're new in game is poor rp (whatever).

Altering spawn points is fine but unnecessary.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

Quote from: "Vettrock"I don't like it.  I like my 1000 sid, and I like to spend it on think for my character, that I want, not that are randomly handed to me in the hall of kings.

Wasnt the idea to have shops in the hall of kings that let you buy what you want, but dont leave you with a huge pile of coin that can be pickpocketed from a clueless newb? I dont remember anyone suggesting to make it random.

QuoteSome newbies will lose to opportunity to change their lives... My first char... I planned to use two nice daggers to be the master assassin. Then I saw that nice halberd and using my subguild, I became a hunter just because I liked that halberd. I died as a hunter, who never used the skill 'backstab'. Of course this is not a good example. The events will affect the beginning of n00bs' lives less, because some will rush to 'action' instead of interacting.

Once again, with our ideas about role-playing and guilds, this is reason enough.

If people are so worried about newbies finding shops and loosing coins, then put the bank on the maps and put "SHOPS" on the maps.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

oops, Didn't realize it was going to be -that- big.   :oops: sorry
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Quote from: "My 2 sids"Just because you choose thief as a guild doesn't mean you'll be one.  Maybe you'll get hired as an aide to a templar.  Now what are you going to do with low starting money and rinith-rags of black?  Newbie gear is gear for the masses.

If your background has you as low-class scum, there's no way you should be hired as a templar's aide. That it happens is a sign that something's wrong. If your background isn't that of low-class scum, you should be dressed in something middle-of-the-road.

Quote from: "Angela Christine"Besides, newbie outfits aren't the only way to recognise newbies.

Remember also that most newbies are not new players. Indeed, there's an argument that old hands are possibly more likely to keep some newbie clothing after they find the bazaar because they've learned the utility of keeping some sid back for emergencies.

Quote from: "Shoka Windrunner"It's already bad enough that people will hunt down magickers by themselves in the desert just because they aren't a Krathi or an Elkros or Nilaz or whatever. Oh he's just a vivaduan, he can't hurt me. Oh he's just a Whiran, he can't hurt me (spam scan). Jeezus.

I find this hilarious. People who make assumptions as to which magicker guilds can't harm them without knowing their capabilities are liable to be very unpleasantly surprised.

Quote from: "Lazloth"In another thread, the suggestion was raised that coins were left in bank or pockets for newbies.

This is an excellent idea. If the newbie began with a couple of hundred sid and the rest in the bank, and was informed that the bank had the rest, it would do a lot to diminish the stealing from newbies and corpse economy thing.

The only problem would be starting locations where no banks exist.

Quirk
I am God's advocate with the Devil; he, however, is the Spirit of Gravity. How could I be enemy to divine dancing?

A month ago, a newbie read the docs and bought a kank. Having played a mud before, he did 'hi kank' and hit it in the centre market and fled. A soldier walked past and killed the kank after he hitched it back the right way. Of course, he was pissed, but it's a soldier. that's 400 outta 1000.
he went back with vengeance written in his thoughts.

Somehow, he managed to get his hands on lots of money and gear by scavenging. Another kank he bought and being the moron he is, played thru till morning [rl] and was tired. Got chased and mauled by a scrab, ran like an elf. mounted and rested kank. s s [ you let go of a kank's reins] moved back and promptly typed hi kank. He got the death he seekth... he was happy though this time, he can learn well from his own mistakes.

moral of the story : when someone fek you up , you get pissed more then when you fek yourself up.

that said, this is a good game, do we want to drive off potential players and deprive them from the pleasure/cruelties of the life that they may find?

you will have deaths from typos. That's the way things are. It can't be changed. This is a text game.

As far as the "hi kank" typo, I do think both "hit" and "Kill" should be required to be to be typed out fully to be effective.

Of course, then you might "Hit kank" instead of "hitch kank," and still be in trouble.

Ah well. Oh, also, the IC excuse for that happening is "The kank went feral."