n00b gear

Started by jmordetsky, August 01, 2004, 03:39:32 PM

I think this should be randomly generated from a set of suitable stuff.

Reason being...You see someone wearing stuff, and you know right away....new char....

Maybe not new to the mud, but new.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

No way... we'll learn which sets of suşts are newbie suits.. Won't work.
[derail] Let them be clad in scrab shells 1%... That'll work. I won't think someone well armored is a newbie.[/derail]
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Alternately.. add a few merchants to the hall of kings, selling various basic clothing/armor/weapons for 1 'sid each.  Give new players 5 to 10 'sid to buy these things...  Then provide less starting obsidian once they point.

This does 2 things:

1) Partially handles the standard newbie gear issue
2) Gets rid of the OOC motivation to steal their 1k starting 'sid, since they no longer have it.

(Well, ok, it doesn't totally handle it.. now they have 500 starting 'sid, but at least they've picked up basic gear before some tard steals their stuff while they look for a shop.)

This has caveats that would have to be solved:

1) People buying the most expensive things with their 1 sid, to resell... (can be fixed by reducing value on these items)
2) People buying things inappropriate to their station.. if silk were available for starting nobles, for example..
3) People buying things inappropriate to the city they're going to point to.  (Adding sub-halls for each city post point might handle this.)

I am for the idea of having sub-bazaars.

There is little need for silk to be in them...I doubt the place is going to sell silver signet rings, after all.

Maybe having a place with some linens, cottons, sandcloths and leathers for Allanakis and some linen/canvas/leather for Tulukis...people in Red Storm can go only in sandcloth, and people in Luir's do whatever they want, really.

Making the newbies start with a tiny bit of food and water might also be a good idea...nothing serious, just a travel cake or two.  This will help them get a sense of "travel cakes, okay, so this is what I need more of".

Even without that, though...big vote for this.  Maybe the clothes could be flagged to have reduced value, like no more than 30 'sid for each piece of clothing.  As long as they are not allowed to horde the starting clothes somehow, they could realistically sell their clothes when in very dire need.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

I don't think it's something we should have to bother the imms to work for.

These clothes are just so that they aren't ic'ly -naked- while they get themselves set up with clothing from the city they choose.

Just leave newbie clothes people alone, dammit.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I've always liked the idea of a clothing store in the hall of kings.

I really dig this idea.  Hope it goes through.
'm helpful to noobs, ask me questions, totally noob friendly.

"Mail mud@ginka.armageddon.org if you think you've crashed the game."

--Nessalin

If you wanna do it, give new characters less money.  They don't need new clothes, they have more diverse clothing anyway.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: "Armaddict"If you wanna do it, give new characters less money.  They don't need new clothes, they have more diverse clothing anyway.

Not new clothes, just a selection of existing items in game so as soon as they enter the game they aren't immediately tabbed as a new player something people are prone, consciously or subsconsciously, to note in the back of their minds, for good or ill.

Right.

But this will give people less of the drive to go out and get new clothes.  As long as they aren't tabbed as a noob, why go shopping for -different- clothes and waste their money?

It'll happen, and you know it.

Spawn their coins in a closed backpack.  They can buy their clothes just like everybody else.

QuoteAlternately.. add a few merchants to the hall of kings, selling various basic clothing/armor/weapons for 1 'sid each. Give new players 5 to 10 'sid to buy these things... Then provide less starting obsidian once they point.

I really like this idea.  It could also give the n00b an opprotunity to learn a bit more syntax.

QuoteBut this will give people less of the drive to go out and get new clothes. As long as they aren't tabbed as a noob, why go shopping for -different- clothes and waste their money?

Perfectly valid point.  One idea, make the clothes of poor quality That way after a few weeks IC they start to disintegrate. If someone can't  figure out what to do by then, well tough.
quote="Morgenes"]
Quote from: "The Philosopher Jagger"You can't always get what you want.
[/quote]

Quote from: "Armaddict"Right.

But this will give people less of the drive to go out and get new clothes.  As long as they aren't tabbed as a noob, why go shopping for -different- clothes and waste their money?

It'll happen, and you know it.

I was referring to having a shop in the Hall of Kings with prices reflecting those in game.  New players outfit their character using their starting money and then pop in the game.  I'm not talking about free clothes.

I didn't think...people had their coins yet, in the hall of kings?

Quote from: "Armaddict"I didn't think...people had their coins yet, in the hall of kings?

Yeah, they do, or at least did.  Just don't drop it because you won't be able to pick it up.  I was waiting for Savak to setup a PC of mine about 3 years ago and dropped the coins to try and pick up some food with the horrible strength I had and couldn't get either.  (My PC is possibly the only one to nearly starve in the Hall of Kings, but Sanvean saved me.)

Well, as long as it reflected different styles for 'nak and such, then...go for it.

Though it -is- still a bit of work for very little benefit.

Quote from: "Armaddict"Though it -is- still a bit of work for very little benefit.

I think an end to 'Hey I'm a new PC' outfits would be worth it.  I don't think a copy of a certain clothing seller in Allanak would be that much work at all.

We should strive to make this as immersive an environment as possible, and nothing is less immersive than suddenly thinking "Hey look, a n00b!"
Back from a long retirement

I like this idea.  Something to get you started before you join the world.  A selection of clothing and/or some basic armor/weapons.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Last time I made this very same suggestion I was flamed to the point the thread had to be locked.  :evil:

I still like it very much, sometimes it seems impossible to find the kind of (affordable) clothing or jewelry you had in mind for your PC in any of the available shops in your city, and you have to wait until crash or saturday maintenance to find it. More variety from start gets two thumbs up from me.

I don't have a problem with it either way.  I've had several character that walked arround with at least one of their n00b items for quite some time, sometimes all of them.  Granted they tend to get more items, but just because someone is wearing n00b clothes doesn't always mean they are n00bs.
Vettrock

I do not like this idea.   A.  We have enough clothing in game, if you want n00bs to be able to find clothing in the first day, put a kadus store on the maps.  B.  I personally, like the idea of "newbie" clothing for the fact we can tell they are newbie.  This isn't IC being able to pick out someone to rob, this is OOC understanding if said newbie screws up or gets lost or anything else.  

If anything, if we are to encourage more independents, we need to start off with more money.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

I am not going to lie..I hate this idea. It would make me feel like I am playing an H/S mud
and I have my midgard newbie equipment. No. Armageddon is harsh for a reason. To take
away from that would be to take something away from the game we love. If this is flaming I
am sorry, but if this idea is implemented, I would ignore it and play normally, not buying
things from the hall of kings.
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Quote from: "Krath"IIt would make me feel like I am playing an H/S mud
and I have my midgard newbie equipment.

Surely less than as things already are? At the moment you do come with preset newbie equipment. This allows that to be avoided.

Quote from: "Krath"No. Armageddon is harsh for a reason. To take away from that would be to take something away from the game we love.

Sounds like a vote in favour to me. After all, isn't poverty one of the most important forms of harshness on Armageddon? Newbie corpses full of sid don't exactly keep things harsh. Certainly lowering the sid people have to spend in favour of having them spend it more cheaply in the Hall of Kings isn't going to make the world less harsh. I'd also like to see some of that sid turned into a supply of food and water, further reducing the twinkability of newbie corpses.

I don't understand your reasoning against this position. Could you elaborate?

Quirk
I am God's advocate with the Devil; he, however, is the Spirit of Gravity. How could I be enemy to divine dancing?