idea: listen room

Started by flurry, July 29, 2004, 08:24:16 AM

I just idea-ed this, but I thought I'd post here to see what other players thought.

I was thinking it might be nice to be able to have something similar to 'sniff room', but for sounds.     That is, some kind of command like 'listen room', that would return some brief general description of the ambient sounds of that location (e.g. wildlife, city bustle, construction, weather).

I'm not suggesting it should be connected to the listen skill at all, of course.
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

A lot of rooms already have an audio component to their description.  Also there are a lot of random room echos that describe sound.

That's a good point - although this is often true of smells too.  

I always thought of 'sniff room' as paying a little extra attention to the smells in the room, and thus getting another sentence or two about about that above and beyond the room description.   (e.g. in a bakery, the room description might tell you that the smell of baked goods pleasantly clings to the air, while a 'sniff room' echo might go into more specific detail.    Ideally, I mean.  I know in practice it doesn't often work that way.)

That's kinda what I was thinking for 'listen room' - a little extra information that would be consistent with extra attention to the sounds nearby.   Maybe useful sometimes, maybe just something extra.

Also - a big point just came to mind.   You can't look in a dark room.   But darkness shouldn't prevent you from observing the sounds nearby.   In fact it could be quite useful when it's dark to try to pay attention to the noises around you.

Dude, that's an awesome idea.
'm helpful to noobs, ask me questions, totally noob friendly.

"Mail mud@ginka.armageddon.org if you think you've crashed the game."

--Nessalin

I like it a lot, just one more of those things that brings teh game world to life.

Thumbs up!
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

poor feckin' IMMs who'd have to code new lines for every room with sound. Heh. Maybe they could just ask for the players to "Idea" their ideas in a particular room, that way the IMMs can tend it as it comes.

Quote from: "Agent_137"Maybe they could just ask for the players to "Idea" their ideas in a particular room, that way the IMMs can tend it as it comes.

I think this is how it's usually done. If you have an echo you would like to see in the game, idea it. =)

Good idea
some of my posts are serious stuff

I think this is superfluous.  
Sounds are covered in the main room description.
Not everyone has keen hearing.  If it's noticable enough, it will be included in the room description.
"Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow."

-Aaron Burr

Quote from: "slipshod"Not everyone has keen hearing.  If it's noticable enough, it will be included in the room description.

Not everyone has a keen sense of smell. Yet there are still numerous rooms you can "sniff".

Quote from: "slipshod"I think this is superfluous.  
Sounds are covered in the main room description.
Not everyone has keen hearing.  If it's noticable enough, it will be included in the room description.

You shouldn't need light to be able to smell or listen to your surroundings.

I would like to see sound descs (and maybe smell descs) appended to room descriptions.  They would show up regardless of lighting.

ex.:

The Bar

Yr standing in the bar, obviously.  It's full of people.  There is a bar over there.
You can totally hear tons of patrons laughing it up and clinking glasses and stuff.
It smells like cheap beer in here.

dark style:

Somewhere
You can't see nothin.  It's dark, sucker.
You can totally hear tons of patrons laughing it up and clinking glasses and stuff.
It smells like cheap beer in here.

Some rooms have multi-lined sniff echoes, and I can definitely see a one or two lined sound echo.

Combine that with the longer descriptions of the 'rp hovels' and you have a lot of spam.

Vote 'nay'.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Quote from: "Larrath"Some rooms have multi-lined sniff echoes, and I can definitely see a one or two lined sound echo.

Combine that with the longer descriptions of the 'rp hovels' and you have a lot of spam.

Vote 'nay'.
Spam? Uhm ... maybe you are not discussing the same thing as I think we are. Currently, the next time you are in a Tavern, type this: sniff room. It only echoes to you, not to anyone else. The same applies for this idea of listen room - it would only echo to you, not to others.

I support it fully.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I was referring to Jstorrie's suggestion to have them attached after the main description of the room.

Having a separate 'listen room' command is definitely a good thing.  I'd be more than willing to go and throw some sounds to the streets and the Bazaar.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Ah, ok. I dig. I also agree with not adding more room desc. I like the added commands, as it gives you more to discover without it being thrown in your face right off the bat. All these nifty features being put in recently, such as looking into mirriors, torchs being blown out, the echo project ... all of these are so fluff, and so welcome.

Kudos to all who inspire the Imms to do these things, and kudos to the Imms who do it.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870