Killing outside gates

Started by elvenchipmunk, July 28, 2004, 03:07:59 PM

Amoeba is right on in saying,
QuoteI think it is very one dimensional to view 99% of the populace as backstabbing bastards.
If the game was set up where no one could trust anyone else and where one's life was in jeopardy every five seconds, no one would even play!  Admit it or not, multi-dimensional games are designed so that players can interact with one another.  This interaction isn't always going to be friendly, but it won't always be terrible either.  It would be the same repetition of over-coming obstacles as every other hack-and-slash game out there; an unrealistic and no-plot-based game to kill off as much as you can before you die.  Once we confuse random killing and harshness, we loose our game.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

In general, the action itself isn't a problem in my eyes.  What I think is really driving the frustration is an apparent lack of "build-up" to it.  From a PC point of view you may never actually see this, and it's generally best to just deal with "betrayal" and move on.  From a staff point of view, sometimes I've seen a very hack'n'slash, happy'go'lucky attitude with no leading thinks or indicative background in place to make sense out of either making sudden hunting buddies OR suddenly turning on them.

I have also seen it played very well, although a lot of what I see would be behind the scenes for other players.  So, because it's important I'll repeat -- it's best from a player point of view to assume the best out of other players, otherwise you will become bitter and lonely.  They may not have gone through a bunch of steps which are obvious to you, but that doesn't mean it was inappropriate.

Bottom line is, as has been published elsewhere:  If you think someone was being mean to you, you're probably right.  It's part of the torturous addiction which is Armageddon.

-Savak
i]May the fleas of a thousand kanks nestle in your armpit.  -DustMight[/i]

Quote from: "Mook"I think the real problem here is the development of characters who are 'nice people.'  What sillies!

Some of my characters have been nice people.

And if your character doesn't like it, I'll cut his or her throat.

(I didn't say they were one-dimensionally nice people,
after all.)   :twisted:

I think the non-development of characters is a much more serious problem.  In my opinion, there must be some fairly nice people in Zalanthas.  But it is possible to be a nice person without being a naive, foolish person who doesn't watch his or her back with all due caution.

There just aren't social rules requiring not-so-nice people to pretend.  Well, not in the wastes, anyhow.

Morrolan
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Some friends of mine believed another person to be a defiler, so we arranged to all go hunting with this guy. We pretended to be nice, until we got a good distance from the city, then we jumped him. Not because we wanted his gear, he didn't have much worth stealing. But because we believed him to be an evil magick user. Not that we had proof, but that's not the way Armageddon works. So no, he didn't see it coming. He also didn't get to see us talking about and planning it behind his back.

So just because you didn't see it coming, perhaps an immortal would have had he been watching.

I play a hunter. I used to be a lone hunter. There is exactly one other character I trusted enough to hunt with before joining a house. Now I only trust members of my house. The wilds are dangerous. People are far more dangerous than that raptor that nearly killed me in my early years. If you want to stay safe, never leave a city. I've had plenty of great characters that had a lot of rp, and were merchants, crafters, artists, poets, etc. If you play the hunter, expect a life of danger.

Yeah, I consider attacking someone out of blue to be bad RP, unless you're a toughloner/bandit. Eventually you'll have to go back to the city. Being a hunter/bandit doesn't work too great in the long run.

My characters generally have some sort of reason:

1) D-elf attacks intruders.
2) Tulukian attacks 'nakki hunters, or vice-versa.
3) There's no chance for the target to get away(if my PC is cold-blooded).
4) Know the target from before and REALLY don't like him.

I'm pretty sure banditry is illegal. If the person attacks you out of the blue, the next time you see him in the city, you could get him/her in trouble.

If someone kills you for your money, that -is- IC. Even if they don't go around roleplaying in a similar vein, they've committed that IC action. There's no reason to call shenannigans on them for doing something sneaky--you've no way to know they don't do this sort of thing all the time, as a part of their character. And even if they don't, well... who's to say the honorable fellow doesn't have a dark secret?

I would NEVER kill anyone in Zalanthas.

Unless they pissed me off!  :twisted:

(Or..unless my pc thought he could get away with it!)

The naughty chimpanzee throws his head back and cackles with insane glee.
-Naatok the Naughty Monkey

My state of mind an inferno. This mind, which cannot comprehend. A torment to my conscience,
my objectives lost in frozen shades. Engraved, the scars of time, yet never healed.  But still, the spark of hope does never rest.

Chimpanzee? I dunno, Naatok - you strike me more as a baboon.

More like one of them spider monkeys...always peeing in your bag of popcorn when you walk up to their cage.

Hmm... Question:

D-elves have a lot of advantage against other PC's in PK. But when they should?

1. D-elf is a raider, from a raider tribe..
2. That PC is too close to the d-elf's outpost, looking dangerous.
3. Magicker!!! Must always be killed if you're not from a tribe that accepts magickers.
4. Finding food rotting all around his hunting place with that new halfbreed wandering around.
5. Holy place at stake! Something happened to the holy place. Someone must pay for it. Too angry to find the real victim.

Of course, these are the reasons that come to my mind. I've been killed by a d-elf only once, when it was 100% acceptable. But I'm planning to play a d-elf soon. May people experienced add to the list or remove from the list?
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Quote from: "Cenghiz"3. Magicker!!! Must always be killed if you're not from a tribe that accepts magickers.

Magickers are treated with fear and distrust (and when the numerical advantage is on your side, death).  At least have the sense to wait until the rest of your tribals are online before you do this.  But how much does your character really know about magickers?  Maybe his elders have told him that he has to do a special ritual to be imbued with the power to slay one.  Maybe he thinks they can only be wounded by a special type of material or weapon.  Maybe he thinks that he needs to find a special trinket and wear it to be protected from the magicker.

Quote from: "Cenghiz"4. Finding food rotting all around his hunting place with that new halfbreed wandering around.

Now that a desert has ALL the necessary code with the new watch command, you could at least follow the halfbreed around to see if he's really doing what you suspect him of.  The same goes for number five.
Back from a long retirement

Thanks for the idea about special material and/or trinket.. A trinket to absorb the curse, to use once then keep as a souvenir with the thought of capturing the taunt of the magicker.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]