'strike'

Started by jmordetsky, July 28, 2004, 02:39:33 PM

I'd like to see a strike command that allowed a player to execute one combat roll to hit against another player, without neccessarily entering into a full combat scenario.

I can see this being useful in training, interogations, and just general RP.

The command when used inside the city would incriminate, and if used on an npc might cause the npc to 'kill' attacker rather then 'strike' back.

Would be a lot like the universal 'hit' I'm fiending for, but would allow a weapon attack.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

I like it, I think everyone can agree that the combat Rp in the game is lacking, and not because of poor Role Players, but because of the fear in Permadeath and because of the scrolling factor. There is just no way you can keep up with the attack code unless you are super typer. And by the time you are getting out that emote, you need to type flee because you are about to die.

I like the idea of a strike command, However I think there should be a certain amount of strikes before you are locked in an attack or better, have strikes just do more damage than the usual attack.  I don't know about you, but if I am getting slashed on the neck ten times, my head should be on the floor. Strike would allow time for emotes, so the fight could last as long and the damage done with each blow would add real detail as to what happens.
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

I dig.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I think it would rock for interogations.....

Right now:
Player 1: Tell me you mother's maiden name.

Player 2: No.

Player 1: Emote - kicking you in the head

Player 2: Think - hahaha emote away jack ass....I'm telling you anything.

Player 1: Think - I'm just emoting away like a jack ass...let me teach this guy a lesson....

Player 1: Kill Player 2

Player 1: Thing - Oh no...I can't stop...I guess I'll run a league away! Flee!

Player 2- Think - I'm outty.

With Strike:
Player 1: Tell me you mother's maiden name.

Player 2: No.

Player 1: Emote - kicking you in the head

Player 1: Strike Player Two

Player 2: Think - Ahhh! Where are my precious hit points!

Player 2: It's Smith! It's Smith! Don't kill me! We  have permadeath!

www.j03m.com

Really, really good idea so long as there was sufficient delay in it to prevent the game turning into achaea style combat.

Whats the achaea style of combat?

www.j03m.com

Good call crw. Could add a delay that makes it less efficient for killing than regular "kill."

Then, you'd be golden. No one would want to use it in -serious- killing business, just to codedly back up RP.

Please?

Great idea. CAn be used to anything ranging form intimidation to simply fooling around (hey, its just a friendly cut on your neck, blood is cool)
esert city bug, sitting above your head...

Erm, so half-giants can just use this with a two-handed weapon to get around their low agility?
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: "jmordetsky"Whats the achaea style of combat?

You type in every attack.  Last time I played it, as I recall, the end result is that a faster connection and better macros or faster typing is a clear advantage in their PvP.

Quote from: "Armaddict"Erm, so half-giants can just use this with a two-handed weapon to get around their low agility?

No, Because the half giant would have the same chance of taking thier swing as they would if they did not have the delay. Maybe you combine agility in the chance of hitting someone with this.
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

This would be so wonderful.
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

I would like it under the stipulation it has the same lag as intiating combat. I can see some lovely 'strike man;strike man;strike man;run;n;n;n' going on.

Maybe some other precautions to prevent abuse, which is usually a main concern when adding a new/different command, since things are always abused when they can be.

Great idea.  I think if it was designed to only hit if nosave was on it might end up being alot more balanced.  In torture you can always ask for ooc to be on, otherwise this command might be too abusable.  Especially with weapons if code checked for poisons auto-magickally...ya it could get lame.

I like the concept. It's nifty.

I'm thinking if nosave is on, auto hit...

If nosave is off, it's a normal hit roll.

A delay would def be needed....

www.j03m.com

Something similar exists ingame already; this is nothing novel.  I'm sure the code can be applied.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

Heck yeah, that's awesome.
'm helpful to noobs, ask me questions, totally noob friendly.

"Mail mud@ginka.armageddon.org if you think you've crashed the game."

--Nessalin

I don't like it too much. With nosave on, sure(I guess), or if subdued and maybe sitting.

Seems to me that lots of combat will just end up starting with a "strike", giving a free hit. Idle people can be "striked" to death(horribly twinkish, but very possible). Mobs will often get "striked". Then they'd all have to be designed to attack once struck. Or am I missing something?

If lots of combat will start with that, why doesn't everyone whip everyone to death right now? For God's sake, show the players a little fucking trust.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

QuoteIf lots of combat will start with that, why doesn't everyone whip everyone to death right now? For God's sake, show the players a little fucking trust.

Never heard of the fucking 'whip' command. I don't play warriors too much. Can you really not think of the reasons why whip isn't used all the time?

i'm with venomz.

Make it far less efficient than actual fighting for killing some one (through delay, reduced damage, whatver), and you're golden. The only real potential for abuse would be striking idle players to death. Now while that's horrible-dock-9-points-of-karma behavior, I also don't feel too bad for that idled player.

I honestly don't get the point. Emoting it out and playing it out is SO MUCH BETTER. HP damage is superficial and petty, especially if it's weakened.

If someone is at your mercy, torture them, cut off their limbs, gouge out their eyes, whatever. Send the log and the IMMs will probably add it to your victim's description. They can't pretend it didn't happen.

Might aswell kick/kill/backstab/shoot the idle player. They're idle, easier targets. If you're a twink, just attack, flee, sleep, back, repeat.

Still, while its nice to say "trust the players" the sad fact is that its not very often you see a good roleplayer in the world wide net. Giving it a big delay would do, though.
esert city bug, sitting above your head...