Supersize that sword, please.

Started by Armaddict, June 24, 2004, 06:07:21 PM

Was just thinking about my little rant a few nights ago, about how half-giants aren't as buff as they -should- be.  In my opinion, anyway.  And I recalled someone's post recently that mentioned that they thought Half-giants should be able to wield two handed weapons one-handed.

Not only do I agree with this, but more importantly...when will we have -giant- sized weapons?  The average weapon would be small for a half-giant.  Two handed weapons would be about normal, I imagine, though they wouldn't be holdable, just wieldable.  What about another class of weapon that does yet even more damage, cannot be wielded by other smaller races just because of the sheer -size- of it, even if they could lift it up.  And on giants, those weapons would be two-handed.

It'd be nice.  Heh.  Thoughts?
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

make a special order from salarr. I can't see these things being sold in the shops, honestly. They're too big for everyone but HGs . . . so you only sell to HGs and their masters . . .that can afford it  . . .which is how many people?

High cost for the sheer mass of material required, and one-piece material in most cases.

I'm sure you could special order it right now. Check with your local salarri agent to find out!

Quote from: "Graven"On the same topic, why not make weapons not flagged as wielded or held, but rather, simply dictate their use with weight. Say, a human with str 16 can hold twenty lbs in their primary hand, and 15 in their offhand. Simple and plain. Thise way, there might be weapons that a human could not even pick up, that a half-giant can toss around.

I like this method far better.

it's a great idea, but then you have dwarves wielding poleaxes three times their height. :O

You'd need some height limit in conjunction with the strength limit. THEN it'd be a kick ass method. (barring difficulty of coding?)

I think it was mentioned previously that a half-giant's weapons are in proportion to them.
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

I agree. I like the idea of size and weight being a factor, as opposed to simply coded limitations of holdable or wieldable. The current system is unrealistic, for I've played a mul and a human, and while the human couldn't hold the bastard sword in his off-hand, which kinda made sense, neither could the mul, which made no sense at all.

I would further suggest that perhaps effectiveness was affected by how much over your ideal weight a weapon is. Can you use a blade that is heavier than what you should be using? Sure, but you won't be as good with it. You'll prolly hit harder, to a certian point, but you'll miss more, and parries will be more difficult.

So, check weapon for weight, find user's weight limit in the desired hand, find user's ideal weight limit in the desired hand, deduct (for heavy) and add (for light) the difference to the weapon skill and the parry skill, and let that be the guiding factor in what weapon you can use or not.

THis will assist in styles, for some folks will want to be faster, some slower and more powerful, and some just right.

You might also add a message to weapons when you eq them, such as:
You can use this (weapon), but it is heavy.
You can use this (weapon), but it is light.
This (weapon) feels right in your hand.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I wonder if the giants in the sea of silt have them in shops....
Crackageddon.... once an addict, always an addict

Quote from: "Agent_137"make a special order from salarr. I can't see these things being sold in the shops, honestly. They're too big for everyone but HGs . . . so you only sell to HGs and their masters . . .that can afford it  . . .which is how many people?

Every templar or high-ranking militia in either city-state.

That's how many people.
Back from a long retirement

Allanak half-giant militia already have weapons specially made for them.

Yo...so I've seen a Half-Giant drop a mek in a disturbingly short period of time.  Are you sure they need special weapons for them that do more damage?

[Editted to remove specific information]
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I really didn't want to know that was possible.

Quote from: "Delirium"I really didn't want to know that was possible.

oh suck it up. He could have been exaggerating. I'm sure a mul or dwarf can do it, if they're good enough. Krath.

I had a physician that could bandage anyone dead in two, beat that bitches.
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

Quote from: "Agent_137"
Quote from: "Delirium"I really didn't want to know that was possible.

oh suck it up. He could have been exaggerating. I'm sure a mul or dwarf can do it, if they're good enough. Krath.

Um, no.

Anyawys, ther ARE half giant sized weapons already.  In stores.  I've seen them.  So....you aren't looking hard enough.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

No, it's not a big deal, yes, I would've rather have not known it was possible. I've never even been in the same room as a mek, much less fought one.  So, it's just that little things like that annoy me sometimes; I like experiencing, watching and discovering things in-game, and though I've learned a lot of useful stuff reading these forums, the amount of info that's casually tossed around starts to get to me sometimes. That's all.

Anyway, as for the topic - I'm neutral. On one hand, it'd be nice to give PC merchants more to do for you, but on the other hand, HG sized weapons probably would be widely available. I'd say stick with getting them mostly through PC merchants for now, though, because of the muls and dwarves that will inevitably be seen running around with them, since we don't have coded race restrictions on weapons.

These things already exist in game and there are quiet a few.. Ask your local Salarr Merchant for details.  There are some weapons that humans cannot hold at all or that need to be held two handed at least, but yet an HG wield with one hand. Ask and look around.. You'll find what you need.
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

Editted my previous post.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Ive seen weapons in stores that say You think only a half-giant would be able to wield that.
iNg oF tHe SqUiD
WoRsHiP Me UnDeRlInGs!

I've played only one half-giant. At the beginning of that char's life I found three or four weapons of different types, in whose mdesc it was told that they were for huge creatures.
I'm not sure if a strong dwarf may also use them, but according to the descriptions he shouldn't.
And to tell the truth, my first char, a dwarf was using a huge halberd. Sorry about that. I was too new to imagine things in my head clearly those days.
And yey, my freelance crafters just applied for specific creations which would be sold to a few. Imms will approve a new design by even a freelance weaponcrafter in a week I believe. So maybe we can use PC weaponcrafters, so they may earn extra 'sids.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

I can see a six-foot person wield a 5-6 feet sword (half a foot to a foot wide)...it would look pretty damn cool strapped to ones back....if strength and skill allows, i would do it...though a six foot sword might be considered a shortsword for most half-giants.

I doubt any Zalanthian materials would have the tensile strength to make six-foot long, one-foot wide blades.  I know the topic of 'longswords shouldn't exit in Zalanthas!' has come up, and the official stance is that Zalanthan materials are strong enough for a human-sized sword - but still, an -even- bigger sword seems even less likely.

Now, halfgiant sized clubs, that I can see.

Sorry, but I don't think anyone without magick at their disposal should be single handedly killing mekillots.  It would be realistically impossible.  Codedly it might be possible, but that should be changed to reflect realism.

Argue all you want, but no single person of any race could possibly be able to kill a creature the size of a prehistoric dinosaur without powerful magicks, explosives, poisons or something of that nature.  

The same is probably true for many other massive creatures, such as one of the larger sized silt horrors.

Good.  Because they can't.

Woohoo, you got what you wished for!  Guess another card.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: "wizturbo"Sorry, but I don't think anyone without magick at their disposal should be single handedly killing mekillots.  It would be realistically impossible.  Codedly it might be possible, but that should be changed to reflect realism.

Argue all you want, but no single person of any race could possibly be able to kill a creature the size of a prehistoric dinosaur without powerful magicks, explosives, poisons or something of that nature.  

The same is probably true for many other massive creatures, such as one of the larger sized silt horrors.
I disagree with your entire post, for the most part. A half-giant is not a single person. A half-giant, for lack of a better way in which to compare him to other humanoids, is a monster. I have no problem whatsoever with a half-giant being able to kill a mek or horror.

Additionally, I don't think that it should habitually happen, but there is nothing unrealistic about very talented humanoids gutting a monster either. I think that anyone that skilled prolly doesn't attack them head-on as a day-to-day training exercise, but I do not see why a smart fellow couldn't tangle with one and bring it down.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

QuoteNo, it's not a big deal, yes, I would've rather have not known it was possible. I've never even been in the same room as a mek, much less fought one. So, it's just that little things like that annoy me sometimes; I like experiencing, watching and discovering things in-game, and though I've learned a lot of useful stuff reading these forums, the amount of info that's casually tossed around starts to get to me sometimes. That's all.

Face the facts, if you haven't by now, you probably never will.  Although I have not seen that exact act performed, it does not bother me at all as it is clearly fathomable, given the half-giant's proportions. Frankly, much of IC information gets thrown around unnoticed, I wish that both players and IMMs would watch what they type, as I've seen both screw up royally.

In regards to weapons now.... although you can think of weapons as relative objects, so a two handed sword for a human would be much smaller than the same one for a half-giant. However, some large weapons like that contain actual measurements in their description, which make it ... well... silly.
musashi: It's also been argued that jesus was a fictional storybook character.