16 (25.8%)
Customed Heroes running around ala Paragon City
5 (8.1%)
Other, please post below:
17 (27.4%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Voting closed: June 19, 2004, 02:13:30 AM

... what would you change it to?

I like Zalanthas the desert planet. I like walking around in sandstorms, pulling the hood of my brown cloak up and pretending I'm a Jedi. But sometimes, all that sand gets in your eyes, and you wish you were somewhere else. But where?

The only thing I would really like to see is a discovered ocean or something of the sort to where a swim command could be emplimented.. Would give a broad new world to discover, a great deal more danger because your under water and could offer some more different beasts and plants to be found.
ocking a fake scream, the badass scorpion exclaims to you, in
sirihish:
"Ah! Scorpions! I pissed my Wyvern trousers! Ah!"

I'd like to see organ donors.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

The exact same, only with elves in charge and more underground cults.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

I wouldnt want to change Armageddon at all, but if I could create a brand new mud with a snap of my fingers, I would want an AD&D dark under dark elf MUD.

A MUD about the rise and fall of the different dark elf houses... and a few players as Swirfneblin or one of the other races that dwell down there, trying to survive.

My vote is pretty much exactly what Akaramu said, every bit of it.
I wouldn't change Arm at all, but for another mud I would play, it'd be the same as the whole Underdark theme centered around the Dark-elf cities with similar code and RP required aspects of Arm.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Harsher! HARSHER!  :twisted:
No no... To tell the truth, I'm even a little bored of being untrusted, not trusting, politics etc.. Maybe I could like a MUD of any hero setting. Where you have friends you may turn to. Where you die just to save your friend. Of course I'm not talking about a MUD where you go to Calista and give 100 gold for resurrecting your spirit. Perma death, RP-enforced hero setting. To tell the truth, I guess I'm going to play Shadows of Isildur on Saturdays. My first character's approved. Let's see how fun it is.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Change anything? I'm confused...

I love arm as it is right now.

But, since this post is about changing Zalanthas, I'd have to say put in a ton more NPCs of all different types. (animal NPCs to hunt)

Small game, large game, huge game, fast game, birds, reptiles, and mamals, every type of animal you could think up.
Crackageddon.... once an addict, always an addict

Ice age.

Ice is cool.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

As with others, don't change Arm but if you're wondering what I'd like for a new MUD with similar codebase/Imm support.

The Underdark theme would be sweet, especially if it was designed to be as harsh as the novel series revolving around them where entire houses could be demolished to increase your standing a notch.

What I'd like to see most of all is something Road Warrior-esque.  So like Arm...with guns and cars and big explosions.  Ya.

Quote from: "SpyGuy"What I'd like to see most of all is something Road Warrior-esque.  So like Arm...with guns and cars and big explosions.  Ya.

TRIGUN!!!
Crackageddon.... once an addict, always an addict

Quote from: "Trenidor"TRIGUN!!!
A very cool idea.

A cooler idea, however, would be one of three different themes, one of which I am working on now.

Deadlands, the cool wastern/horror/steampunk tabletop roleplaying game. This is the one I am working on currently.

Secondly, Arcanum, of Magick and Steam, the graphical single-person roleplaying game. This is also a very cool setting, with elves, dwarves, and all that fantasy stuff, stuck in a Steam Age setting.

A last setting that interests me a great deal is that of the great single-person RPG series, Fallout. A unique and masterful universe, which was actually put together rather realistically.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

If I absolutely had to change it, I would go with the high-tech sci-fi choice...

An advanced space-faring society (without magick) discovers Zalanthas and enslaves all its people, from the lowest tribals to the sorceror kings, and sets about using them as research subjects, studying the workings of magickers, mindbenders, and sorcerors, analyzing spice, etc.

Then we'd have to see if all the Zalanthans could put their differences aside to fight against a common enemy.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

Sci-Fi all the way.  Cyberpunk, Wastelands or high tech doesn't matter to me.

Your orders, Lord Templar Vader?

Aim the Krathi-Cannon at the Anyali moon orbiting Planet Tuluk.  We'll make it clear to them that we find their lack of harshness disturbing.

Heh, I found a portal to Giedi Prime and my character is currently on a highliner to Arrakis.
The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God? -Muad'Dib

So let's all go focus on our own roleplay before anyone picks up a stone to throw. -Sanvean

AC took mine and that's Ice-age. It would essentially be the same thing just in harsh-cold instead of a harsh-heat. The sea of silt would be the sea of icy water or something, where you just go in and die. Deserts would be snow-fields, fields would be tundra.

Instead of water being precious, fire would. Suk-Krathians and Vivaduans would essentially flip-flop, withe water-mages becoming 'war-mages' using ice instead of fireballs, and fire-mages would be the life-giving people keeping the world warm, etc.

Sandstorms, obviously flipped to snow-storms.

Anyways, thats it. I always thought it would be neat. Like identical Arm themes, just in the snow!

And then we can replace our raptors with oversized penguins.

And elves will be selling yellow snow 'spice' to people.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

ya, id like to see an ocean discovered to. Maybe a way to harness the wind(sail), so it could introduce a whole new aspect to the game of trading, mobility, and (cool) piracy. Man I sound like a loser. Ah well...
iNg oF tHe SqUiD
WoRsHiP Me UnDeRlInGs!

I have often thought that a sub-zero Armageddon world would be pretty cool, no pun intended.  Instead of obsidian weapons, you could have ice weapons (ice can be surprisingly sharp, and a dense chunk of ice can be pretty weighty as well.)  You probably wouldn't die of thirst, but exposure.
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

How can you have weapons of ice? Your hand would still generate body heat...

Water would be used as a weapon, I don't know so much about the "Sword of ice"
though if you are thinking of the Game of thrones Ice swords, they aren't made of ice ;)
l armageddon è la mia aggiunta.

You'd need really thick gloves.  ;)

If ice is cold enough, hundreds of degrees below zero, it has properties much like obsidian. Most people never experience ice that cold though. Unfortunately humanoids would not survive long at those temperatures, so permanent ice weapons are unlikely.  Well, unless there were "cold" elementalists, who could use magick to keep the blade cold and hard all the time regardless of ambient temperature.  Sort of the opposite of a flaming sword.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

If you change Armageddon to be anything but Zalanthas, it won't be Armageddon anymore.  Duh!   :P
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

It is possible that another part of the world, outside the Known world, is already very cold.  There could be part of the world that gets only 3 hours of day and 6 hours of night, the reverse of the Known World.  Because snow is reflective most of the time you can still see during that 6 hours, it is just a 1 room sort of twilight vision. That also explains the arid climate, all the moisture in the atmosphere condenses and freezes on the cold side, where most of it stays locked up as ice.

AC

I wouldn't change a thing about it.

I love Zalanthas the way it is.  There is a lot of depth and detail to this world that is VERY original that just can't be found anywhere else.

Supposing this thread is just a spot for folks to put in their ideas for other types of online FRPing, I would say that I'd like to see a rpg online that resembles the Galaxy of Traveller 2300.  I like that genre alot.  Have for years.

Of course, I would play a contraband smuggler in such a game, wear a mark 7 blaster pistol on my thigh and live out the dangerous life ala Han Solo from the Star Wars multiverse.
-Naatok the Naughty Monkey

My state of mind an inferno. This mind, which cannot comprehend. A torment to my conscience,
my objectives lost in frozen shades. Engraved, the scars of time, yet never healed.  But still, the spark of hope does never rest.

Low-tech, low-fantasy in a deep jungle setting.  It rains every day, and when it's not, it's sweltering enough to cause steam to rise from the puddles.  There are small bastions of humanity who live in fortified areas, and nature is the most dangerous enemy.  Travelling outside of the walls is near certain death, and even the most experienced and well-equipped travellers fall prey to the pitfalls, sharp, poisonous plantlife and abundant ecosystem of vicious predators (coming from all sizes, shapes, colours and kingdoms).

Steampunk Zalanthas - except water is still hard to come by, so steam engines are fantastically expensive.

Also, coal-powered silt battleskimmers.  And blunderbusses.

Oooooh... rainforest. There's a good one.

Now I'm torn between artic and rainforest. All the neat things you could do with the latter, though... hmmmm..

If I could change Zalanthas I'd put Smurf Village where the gith mesa is. It's a really cool village, with lots of secret stuff in it. Shame players can't get to it.

I would raze Tuluk leaving a few villages, barbarians and bandits in the North.
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

Ya know.. what I've really been liking a lot recently is steam age stuff... now, how to get steam age technology into a Dark-Sun style world... Hm...  (Obviously, to have steam age, you need water... to have Dark-Sun, you need no water...  maybe ammonia...)

Why isn't there a choice, a sexmud, by the way?  :twisted:

[serious]I just wandered what if a magicker creature of classic D&D settings visited 'nak? We once had a convention tabletop RP in Koc University. Maybe setting another MUD with same rules but another setting,  then giving the strongest magickers of both MUDs the ability to transport themselves to the other MUD would be fun.[/serious]
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

I like ARM, yet If I could create my own mud it would be a sorta Barren Northern Norse-like setting. Lots of snow, tundra, Big burly men running about in pelts and stuff.

Andrew
ne man can make the world tremble, or in this case four?

I want to throw a snowball at the steel dragon.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

I think The Sci-fi/Fallout thing would be badass.  

However, I am waiting to special app a penguin
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

How Bout a MUD that takes place within some really weird 23rd century corporation that makes cybornetic implants?

Like if you get a bad perforance review, they don't fire you, they just shoot you.
'm helpful to noobs, ask me questions, totally noob friendly.

"Mail mud@ginka.armageddon.org if you think you've crashed the game."

--Nessalin

I have been playing for a while now and in all of that time, I have been waiting for the dragon to come back....WHEN ARE YOU COMING BACK? He can bitch slap Muk and that dumb barbarian Tek off thier thrones, destroy both of the city's. Establish a few servants once more, and then our entire culture would revert back to nomadic clans and small villages of tents. The ranger would be seen for his true glory once more as a provider and guide, the warrior would become the village protector once more instead of just another pc in the walls guarded by hundreds of other npc's. Magikers would either become highly prized, or hated for thier true potential danger they would now be able to inflict upon all because they wouldnt have 700 half-giant soldiers breathing down thier necks. I must say this leaves a small margin for the thief classes, but if you dont like it, tough shit, complain to the dragon to give the city's back and see if that works. If not...Welcome to Armageddon. I would just love to see every civilization fall and the entire population become one teeming mass of travelers, hunters, and small clans.
oodness, courage, and love is a song. In my travels I have learned one thing, evil creatures can not sing.  -Drizzt Do'Urden-

I like your suggestions, bud.  That's a good idea.

I suppose, as an alternative to smashing the cities, some tribal lands could be better developed by the staff.  This would work well provided:

A) The people who wanted to play city characters could still play city characters
B)  The number of active players doubled to support the extra people we'd need.

and

C) We didn't have to let in any low-quality players to fill in the added ranks

--Nessalin

I'd like to play an prequel to arm. Before the rise of the kings and the states, when everything was still warring tribes.

Quote from: "Anonymous"I'd like to play an prequel to arm. Before the rise of the kings and the states, when everything was still warring tribes.

Or back even farther, before the dragon arrived and ruined everyone's shit.

Nah, then it'd be a gay happy place with abudant magickers and tons of humans running around being happy, like so many other muds.

PRAISE THE DRAGON. (The real one, not the sissy imposter)

White Ranger,

I dig that.

Quote from: "The7DeadlyVenomz"White Ranger,

I dig that.

Definitely would love to see a backstabbing, advancement hungry Underdark mud...participating in a drow House's power feud would be awesome.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Quote from: "Bogre"Definitely would love to see a backstabbing, advancement hungry Underdark mud...participating in a drow House's power feud would be awesome.

This was mentioned before and is such a sweet idea, I really wish I had the time/skills to get one started.  Oh the possibilities...

As for a back to the wastes Arm, umm go play that now ;)  Great thing about Arm is the -range- of character concepts you can play.  Desert roles are rough but doable, personally I just with delves had more quality players that were long running and more avenues to RP so it wouldnt get so lonely.  But even non-karma, non-ranger roles can be great wilderness chars and if thats the mud ya like, go for it.  As for myself, I like city based roles.  So I say keep Arm the way it is  :?

More uber chicks.  Where are all the sorcerer-queens?  And no, Tektolnes in drag doesn't count.  Personally I still hold out hope that THE Dragon was/is female.  After all, most lizards don't have obvious external genitalia, so how would you know?

AC

Dragons have external genitals. More than one thing in Armageddon suggests this. However, it is possible that it is an artist's misconception.

Water World

Despite the flawed Kevin Costner movie, the premis was sound.  In the water-world environment, food wood be plentiful in the form of fish, water would be plentiful in the form of distilled sea-water, salt would be everywhere and metal would be found by diving around shipwrecks.  
The scarce resources that everyone would compete for would be land, wood (for fuel and for boyauncy) shelter from storms, and citrus fruits and medicine.
Movement over water would be subject to the mercy of winds.
Magic rare, almost nonexistant in the absence of paper for spellbooks.  People would be forced to make camp on active valcanos.  
Wanderers could discover flotsam, abandoned ships, floating leviathin corpses, hidden islands, lagoons.  
Common Races
Humans, Sea Elves, Sea Orcs
Karma Required Races
Were-sharks, Mermaids, Flynn (winged humaniods that can fly short distances in calm weather.  Despite their peaceful nature, they are often hunted/enslaved)
Classes
Warriors, Healers, Divers, Swimmers, Cratsmen, SeaSnake-charmers, Dolphin-Riders
Island-Tribesman
Crafting Materials
Coral, Sea Shell, Shark Teeth, Pumice, Whale Fat, etc.

Robot War

Despite the title, PCs would not really be involved in any kind of war.

The game would take place inside of a giant crater.  In the crater live lots of intelligent robots.  Even though the robots are programmed with logical languages, the robots themselves are bugged enough that their personalities seem almost emotional, quirky and human.  Four Processing plants are the equivalent of cities.  The overlord robots that run these Plants administrate law and order, but away from the Plants are quite lawless places.  These are the regions that PCs must travel to in order to find the resources that are necessary to run the plants.
Valuable Commodities
Platinum (for making wires) Plutonium, Uranium and Petroleum (for fuels) Acetylene (for welding) Freon (a valuable coolant) etc., etc
Classes
Warbot, Stealthbot, Craft-bot, Robot-Canibal, Pisonic-Robot, etc.
Enemies
Predatory Robots, tribal humans (who wander into the crater, believing robots are evil), Dinosours (who crush anything that has blinking lights)
Races
Cyborg, Android, Tank-bot, Drill-bot, + many more.

This game could have seperate robot tribes, seperate robot languages, plots, conspiracies. To be done well, the descriptions would all have to be kept low tech.[/i][/b]

--Nessalin

Quote from: "sjanimal" Water World

Despite the flawed Kevin Costner movie, the premis was sound.  In the water-world environment, food wood be plentiful in the form of fish, water would be plentiful in the form of distilled sea-water, salt would be everywhere and metal would be found by diving around shipwrecks.  
The scarce resources that everyone would compete for would be land, wood (for fuel and for boyauncy) shelter from storms, and citrus fruits and medicine.
Magic rare, almost nonexistant in the absence of paper for spellbooks.  People would be forced to make camp on active valcanos.  
Wanderers could discover flotsam, abandoned ships, floating leviathin corpses, hidden islands, lagoons.  

I've pondered that one before. Another opposite of Zalanthas, but still harsh and deadly. It could be potentially cool.

Quote from: "Delirium"
Quote from: "sjanimal" Water World

I've pondered that one before. Another opposite of Zalanthas, but still harsh and deadly. It could be potentially cool.

Rather than a Waterworld I would be all over a Pirates of Dark Water theme.  Damn that cartoon was great, adventure on the high sees but go to the wrong place at the wrong time and some tar stuff is going to eat you up.  Awesome.

By the moons of Mer!

Okay, I swear I'll stop, I'm not a krell-eater.

--Nessalin

Someone mentioned a spacefaring people invading Zalanthas and enslaving them, there actually was a Dark Sun Adventure in which people from another world opened a portal to Athas and really messed things up.  Mainly because their magick (basic wizards and clerics) was completely different than Dark Sun's and also because they ALL were wearing steel armor and weapons.  

Perhaps something of this manner could occur, the bone sword wielding, leather armor having people could have to gather together and fight an invasion of people from another world, the people of Zalanthas vs. the people of That Other Place.  Might be cool, everyone banding together to fight off this incursion.

Or maybe just a new race of people on Zalanthas that are from beneath the earth, like in an underdark of our own, or from across the Silt Sea.

An invasion by a new force would be awesome.  here we have been squabbling over this little patch of land and across the Silt Sea there is a hug continent full of people who have been conquered and now they want to come get us backwater folks in our little land.
At your table, the badass dun-clad female says in tribal-accented sirihish, putting on a piping voice, incongruous not the least because it doesn't get rid of her rasp:
     "'Oh, I killed me a forest cat!' That's nice; I wiped me bum after taking a shit.

Shola, I agree. Let's see more world.

The last thing I want to see in Zalanthas is an evil force that becomes everyone's 'common enemy'.
More world, yes. Slave army raiding us from across the silt sea, no.

I doubt that it would make them the common enemy. It's not like Muk Utep and Tektolnes will suddenly become budies just because another civilization springs up. They will still be fighting each other, but at least this way, we might actually get some battles in this fucking world. It is sad how few real battles there are now.

BTW, I understand how to script it so that there actually would be an advancing army. Or, conversely, raids. It could be very realistic and could provide some excellent chances for RP.

Hrm, what if the raiding army was from a place very different than our little part of the world.  What if instead of magickers being spit on (elementalists I mean, not sorcerors) they were the nobles of that land, the leaders and held high ranking offices in the government.  Not to say they have to be a good government, actually probably not good at all, probably run around pissing on those without magick simply because if you have magick you must be better than those normal people.  

The normal person is the one at the mercy of the magickers not the magickers at the mercy of the normal person.  Flip flop it all.  That's all I'm saying.  It would make things very interesting if the opposing army had squads or fireteams with a magicker or two in each.  Maybe they raise certain individuals to learn magick and serve in this army.  A fire team of two warriors, a Whiran and a Krathi.  Or a Rukkian and a Vivaduan, or whatever.  The combination of skills and powers is frightening actually.  Eek.

I'd love to see an invading army that makes Tek and Muk actually have to turn their gazes away from each other for a while.  While they wouldn't be allies, they would both defend their lands.  And maybe try to ally with the newcomers, at least until their old rival is taken care of.

Dunno, what do you think?
At your table, the badass dun-clad female says in tribal-accented sirihish, putting on a piping voice, incongruous not the least because it doesn't get rid of her rasp:
     "'Oh, I killed me a forest cat!' That's nice; I wiped me bum after taking a shit.

As long as they're all NPC's, okay...but the only issue is whether it is realistic or not.  The People in Power(tm) won't like to see that coming their way and will likely do what they can to stop it...which could potentially be a lot, as they are in power.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Shoka, That would be badass. And That is a solid idea.
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

If I could change Zalanthas I'd be the reigning god.

Resurrect! 
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!