Ummm...When did "locate" change?

Started by MSM, June 14, 2004, 11:39:59 AM

So I just tried to use "locate".

Needless to say I was surprised. Is this message not just a bit extreme? Especially for something that was legacy.

I believe that's a question you should probably e-mail the staff about directly and not discuss here on the GDB.

It's just one of those things, ya know? And no - I don't have the answer to the question. I just know the nature of the question and think it isn't something that should be posted publically.

Details of the skill are not posted in the help files so I won't post them here. But I think that the staff should have made some general announcement about it, as from what I understand the room echo is very severe..

Maybe something along the lines of "If you don't have locate on your skills list please note that trying the skill will have severe adverse effects"

I tried the skill a few days ago and now I think people have odd ideas about my PC. A warning of the change would have been nice.
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

But you really shouldn't be trying to use it, regardless of what the results.

Yea, while I agree about the skill itself possibly being IC, some info on how we should go about roleplaying the change is not, and would be helpful.

Should we act like it never was? Or that it changed for some reason etc?  

Puts a player who doesn't realize in a very difficult IC position.

EDIT: After seeing CRW's response.

So is that the consensus? players should simply IC NOT know about or how to "execute" the locate command?

Why not just remove the command? I don't like it...not one bit... :(

Am I on crazy pills or was there an announcement about this?

ICly I don't believe any PC without the skill in their skill listing should have been trying to use it.  It's not the same as a PC without Piercing-Weapons trying to swing a dagger, it's something that just wouldn't occur to a PC to try unless it is in their skill listing.  IMHO.

Without giving away IC secrets:

Even knowing that the skill exists in character would insinuate that your character was a (insert verybadthing here) or knew something about how they worked.  It is not akin to just pondering something, it is a more active process then that.  I would not roleplay it at all unless you are one of said evil creatures - unless you want people to think you are and are ready for what consequence that might bring.
brainz: it's what's for dinner.

I actually did not know that.. I thought it was something else completely..

But that does make sense.

Interesting.
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

QuoteWeekly Update for April 24th, 2004
Changes to locate (Sanvean)

i've tried to locate before.

The last mud I played, you typed Locate <player name> and it said "<player name is adventuring> or <player name> Isn't adventuring.

There was also a locate spell, in this other game...but that syntax was cast locate...

so, w/e

I don't see anything wrong with the occasional character trying locate.

I'm not saying it should be commonplace, but it's a skill like any other. If someone wanted to develop their mind, they could try it. Or they could even try to focus their energies or do whatever.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

I think using a psionic skill that you do not have on your skill list is asking for trouble.  By doing so, you are attempting to become a mind bender ICly.  There really isn't any other explaination in my opinion.  If some character ever tried to locate mine - and mine found out - well then, the perpetrator would definitely be a mindbender.

It'd be like running around trying to cast spells or defiling.  I see it as your character actively attempting to 'do something bad.'

Therefore, for the help on how to react to any coded changes - Your character's psionic mindbending abilities are suddenly curtailed?  (I'm assuming the change made it more difficult to do or something... I'm not about to try it in game to find out.)  

Your character can then go to the proper authorities or superiors and explain to them that your character seems to have lost their mindbending abilities...

Quote from: "marko"I think using a psionic skill that you do not have on your skill list is asking for trouble.  By doing so, you are attempting to become a mind bender ICly.  There really isn't any other explaination in my opinion.  If some character ever tried to locate mine - and mine found out - well then, the perpetrator would definitely be a mindbender.

It'd be like running around trying to cast spells or defiling.  I see it as your character actively attempting to 'do something bad.'

Therefore, for the help on how to react to any coded changes - Your character's psionic mindbending abilities are suddenly curtailed?  (I'm assuming the change made it more difficult to do or something... I'm not about to try it in game to find out.)  

Your character can then go to the proper authorities or superiors and explain to them that your character seems to have lost their mindbending abilities...

Just to clarify my point, I agree with that. I'm just stating that I don't see it as some sort of OOC abuse.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

I'm going to go ahead and lock this thread before it becomes too much more IC than it already is.  Suffice it to say, the code was changed to reflect the way we felt the skill -should- actually be used.

Some people were using it to achieve a perception that they shouldn't have been able to achieve, even though for them, the skill had little other affect.

-- X