Stabbing weapons

Started by Anonymous, June 12, 2004, 09:13:14 PM

How do you tell if a weapon is a stabbing weapon? I've seen plenty of piercing weapons, but after visiting three weapons shops, I still haven't seen a single stabbing weapon. I've tried assessing and looking at the description. Can someone help?

I don't think you can tell for sure without buying and assessing.  Stabbing are almost all daggers and knives, so stick to those.  Although there are a fair number of piercing and slashing weapons of those kind as well.
Back from a long retirement

Also, you won't know even with assessing the weapon if you don't have backstab on your skills list. Stabbing in Arm refers specifically to the backstab skill. Piercing weapons -do- stab when you use them to attack - you'll see echos to that effect. But they aren't -specifically- "backstab" weapons unless they say so in assess - which you must have the backstab skill to see.

Thank you for your help.

If you can skin with it and its a piercing weapon then its a stabbing weapon.  I think its on the to do list to clear this up eventually, "view" the item and if it says "can be used for skinning" your good.

I am quite certain that it is possible to skin with weapons that are not stabbing.

The backstab skill is -not- needed to see if the weapon is of the 'stabbing' subset when assessing, also.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Interesting Larrath. I assessed a certain weapon that I knew was a backstabber, but didn't see anything about it being a backstabber in the echo. The reason I knew it was one, was because my assassin character previously, who had the backstab skill, was able to see clearly with assess that it was in fact a backstabbing weapon.

Oddly enough - the -only- character I have ever had so far (which admittedly is only 13) who has been capable of seeing an echo saying that a backstabber was a backstabber, was my assassin.

And just like if I don't have the poison skill, I am unable to tell that something has poison smeared on it - but if I do have the poison skill, I am.

Are you suggesting that 12 of my 13 characters have had code errors in them?

Quote from: "SpyGuy"If you can skin with it and its a piercing weapon then its a stabbing weapon.  I think its on the to do list to clear this up eventually, "view" the item and if it says "can be used for skinning" your good.

Quote from: "Larrath"I am quite certain that it is possible to skin with weapons that are not stabbing.

Correct. I've seen axes with the echo that 'this would work well for skinning'.
Surrender!"
"You mean you wish to surrender to me? Very well, I accept."

Yes, but axes are obviously not piercing weapons.

1)  All stabbing weapons are also piercing weapons.
2)  Only stabbing and chopping weapons can be used for skinning.
3)  No chopping weapon is also a peircing weapon.

Therefore if you see a piercing weapon that can be used for skinning, then it is a stabbing weapon.  

Strange but true.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

It's pointy.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Well, they are kind of one and the same.

stab·bing [ stábbing ]

noun  (plural stab·bings)

act of thrusting a knife into somebody: an incident in which somebody is deliberately stabbed with a knife or sharp object

Similes:

stabbing (adj)  

sharp, acute, piercing, shooting, intense, severe

pierc·ing [ prsing ]

adjective  

1. penetrating: with an unpleasantly intense quality

Similes:

piercing (adj)

penetrating, intense, sharp, loud, earsplitting, high-pitched, shrill, deafening, discordant, strident, acute, stabbing, painful, keen, cutting, knife-like
l armageddon è la mia aggiunta.

Not all piercing weapons are stabbing weapons, however. While the dictionary definition is absolutely correct, it cannot be applied to the code of a mud. An ARMAGEDDON piercing weapon is not necessarily capable of being used with the backstab skill.

However - if it is a backstabbing weapon, it will always also be a piercing weapon.

The above poster was right.

If it's a piercing class weapon, and you can skin with it, it will be stabbing.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger