UPOTW: Mirror, Mirror on the wall...

Started by ShaLeah, June 12, 2004, 01:24:21 AM

Should "look in mirror" show your character's main describe?

Yay.
29 (46.8%)
Nay.
12 (19.4%)
Meh.
21 (33.9%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Voting closed: June 12, 2004, 01:24:21 AM

For a looooong time now I have thought that mirrors should be objects that one could look into and see ones reflection.

>l in mirror

Before you stands blah blah with blah hair and blah eyes and blah booty. She is blahlicious with blah legs blahing under her blah hips. Blah blah blah, she blah blahingly, blahing the blah blah blah.
(omit the blah blah blah is in excellent condition)

Whatchu guys think?
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

What do I think?  I think it would be totally useless.

Knowing what the mirror itself looks like would be more useful to me.
Back from a long retirement

Quote from: "EvilRoeSlade"What do I think?  I think it would be totally useless.

Knowing what the mirror itself looks like would be more useful to me.

look IN mirror
not look mirror

the mirror desc would be look mirror.

I think it'd be a neat touch, don't really care, though...it's so minor. SHould be easy to program....go for it.

Try "l me".  It works the same without the coding annoyances the imms might have to face.

That shouldn't stop anyone from preening in front of a mirror, as narcissists are wont to do.

Besides, there are already enough code discrepancies to give any newb a stroke.  Let's not give 'look in' a different meaning for different objects.

And besides, why would it just show you?  Shouldn't it show the room (if it's a furniture type mirror rather than a hand mirror)?  Maybe it would show other people behind you?  Should looking in it give you a bonus to resisting backstab?!

As I said, useless all around.
Back from a long retirement

I don't know about useless, but I don't think it'd really add anything. Might make things more confusing. Not much of a hassle, but it's already covered in existing code. Doesn't really add anything new or fresh or helpful ... At least in my opinion.

Of course people say the same of my opinion. Hmm ... Yeah.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

It's not useless. It is cosmetic. While it won't be a hassle to code, it would add something to the game. In short, it is an utterly nice, completely useless feature, and I have no problem with it.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

How about if you wanted to see someone in the mirror? Or use the mirror to look at your buddies kruth cards?

I don't see how it could be coded, but you might as well just use l self and peek buddy, then your RP reason for peeking is that you looked in the mirror.
Crackageddon.... once an addict, always an addict

Quote from: "The7DeadlyVenomz"It's not useless. It is cosmetic. While it won't be a hassle to code, it would add something to the game. In short, it is an utterly nice, completely useless feature, and I have no problem with it.
Thank you, V.  I don't think it's useless but of course I'm biased, I'm attached to the idea, heh.
Without going into a code break down to make mirrors work to do the evil stuff we love, I think it would be another neat feature that while not adding anything to the excitement level of pk or seeing someone in the mirror when you're narcistically watching yourself if it, it'd be cool to see yourself in an object that is meant for that.

How many regular people have seen themselves in a bonafied mirror on Zalanthas? Sure you can catch a glimpse if you're around a glassy surface but I think a lot of the people will have lived their entire lives without knowing how ugly/good looking they really are.

No, it's not necessary but neither are tons of other features we still enjoy. It's not useless.  :cry:  Heh.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

I like the idea-- it would add completeness to an otherwise incomplete set of items.

In my opinion, anyway-- whenever I looked at mirrors I always expected it to bounce back something. It never did. It's not entirely without a use.. but it's definitely more cosmetic than utilitarian.
"The most important thing is to find out what is the most important thing." -- Shunryu Suzuki

Thumbs up. Be one of those "wow, they thought of everything" moments on Arm, which I've always enjoyed.
color=darkred][size=9]Complaints of unfairness on the part of
other players will not be given an audience.
If you think another character was mean
to you, you're most likely right.[/color][/size]

I just did a look at my character's personal mirror and was prompted with his full description and eq. list (as though I had typed look self).

Not all mirrors do this, but it's a code that I've seen before with some mirrors in game.  So you're idea appears to be an already existing function.

I think it would be one of those Oh.. Neat! Sort of things.. Though not something overly important it would add a nice touch.
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

I added this code to the game yesterday.  It will have to be added to mirrors on an object by object basis.  Please feel free to email me about any that you feel should have the script.
brainz: it's what's for dinner.

There have been mirrors in the past that do this.

How can one create a mirror in Arm? No metal so no silver.. But maybe something like this can be useful.

"look in bowl of water"
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -MT

Find one, and find out. ;)
Tlaloc
Legend