Glow crystals

Started by Angela Christine, June 11, 2004, 03:39:43 AM

"This green crystal is long and slender, measuring almost a half a cord in length.  Its shaft is smooth, and has few imperfections.  When held, it glows with an eerie green light."  

I've spent a great deal of time pondering glow crystals.  Since they are sold and accepted everywhere, it seems unlikely that they are magickal.  They don't seem to be alive.  At first I thought they were body heat activated, but then I realized that the ambient temperature is often higher than the human body temperature, so if they were heat activated they would go off on their own on very hot days.  Maybe something to do with the holder's personal electromagnetic field?  Nobody knows, and if they did the answer is probably too IC to discuss.  

Which leads to my question:   Glow crystals glow when held, and there isn't an obvious self-sustaining chemical reaction happening, like with fire.  So how do they stay lit when you drop them?  A torch or a lantern stays lit because of the fuel, once the fire is going it will keep going until you run out of fuel or deliberately douse it.  But the only clue to glow crystals is in the description, that they glow "when held."  That would seem to indicate that you should not be able to drop a glow crystal and have it stay lit, or light a glow crystal without holding it.  Is this an oversight, or are crystals supposed to be self-sustaining, like those glow sticks and necklaces kids wear to raves and fireworks?  If they are self-sustaining, then how the dickens can you turn them off?  It isn't like there is a light switch.  It is a paradox!

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Maybe they're psycho psi-reactive.

So the crystal stays lit because the last time you touched it you wanted it to stay lit?  Interesting theory.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Actually, I've always thought of them as very similar to those light sticks from raves and Halloween.  

I usually emote giving them a hard snap or shake to turn them on.. and then another to turn them off.

Just how do you turn those darn things on and off? Well, if there isn't a definite answer, here are some things I'd emote in a pinch and throw out as theories.

:idea: Give it a good smack! Maybe jarring the crystal sets off some sort of reaction within it that will last for a certain length of time.

:idea: Rub it! Oooh, get ready for three wishes. Since body temperature alone may not be enough heat, maybe it needs to have a good, hot, palm blistering rub-down. This of course suggests lonely mercenaries and filthy prostitutes would have the brightest glow crystals.

:idea: Graze it against something fluffy! Maybe the static would align the particles in such a way that they fluoresce? Hey, it's a long shot, and would probably magnetize the crystal if anything...but maybe the ENERGY FEEDS OFF ITS OWN MAGNETIC FIELD!? buahah.

:idea: Hold it up to the sun and let it charge! Maybe they contain sensitive fluorescent minerals that absorb some of Suk-Krath's ultraviolet light, then converts it into heat through their imperfections and begin to glow as a result.

:idea: Spit on it! Maybe it contains a mix of Calcium and something else so that your saliva causes it to react, and even burn a little on the inside.

:idea: Talk (dirty?) to it! Maybe they are intelligent beings that react to your affection, but can only express their emotions in one way...by glowing. Poor little guys.

:idea: Shake it! Maybe they contain volatile liquids inside that mix and react, much like modern day glow crystals. Assume when they burn out that the chemicals are fully mixed.

:idea: Flick it! Maybe the sharp *ting* will disturb the fluorescent larvae inside enough that it will flare up. Maybe glow crystals are just the hundred year old, crystalized cocoons of these ancient transforming creatures, and when they "burn out" the thing spreads its wings and shatters through it's prison, flying off into the sunset. You know what? I really like this one. Though the harsh irony of Zalanthas would have the thing smash through the crystal and devour the bearer.

Apocalyptic_Cow

Quote"This green crystal is long and slender, measuring almost a half a cord in length. Its shaft is smooth, and has few imperfections. When held, it glows with an eerie green light."

I hate to go off track here, but I beleave this may also relate to one of ACs (at least I think it was AC) old posts about available sex toys.
"People survive by climbing over anyone who gets in their way, by cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise taking advantage of others."
-Ginka

"Don't do this. I can't believe I have to write this post."
-Rathustra

Quote from: "Khorm"Maybe they're psycho psi-reactive.

Note that this is NOT a word from staff saying this is 'how it is' -- I don't know how it is, but I like this answer in particular.

Quote from: "Apocalyptic_Cow":idea: Talk (dirty?) to it! Maybe they are intelligent beings that react to your affection, but can only express their emotions in one way...by glowing. Poor little guys.

This one makes me laugh and be sad at the same time.

You're the shit, Apocalyptic_Cow. Good ideas. Bravo.

being serious....I Think that you press hard on them, then they turn on
Then you press again real hard and they turn off.
If you were to drop it, and it was on, it'd go on forever. Like those touch lights... man I hate those.
Crackageddon.... once an addict, always an addict

Perhaps they're squeezed? Two liquids inside are then mixed together but when you unsqueeze it they go seperate again?

NOTE: Like Zhaira I also have no idea. I'm talking about my ass here.

I attribute it to being close to a heat source. Like mood rings that change color when you wear them - the glow crystal starts glowing when they're close to your skin- or dropped on the hot desert ground.