Is it possible to sneak while mounted

Started by A sneaky Ranger, June 08, 2004, 01:37:44 PM

Well, is it is possilbe if your skills are high enough?  or should I give up trying?

Think of this from a common sense point of view.

Imagine you're a highly trained special forces agent, skilled in camouflage and blending into the shadows.

If you're stuck on the back of a horse, what are the chances of you being able to use that knowledge? The horse won't be watching for twigs that look like they might snap. The horse won't be hurrying from shadow to shadow. Your training won't help you become mystically inaudible.

The same principles apply to Armageddon.

Quirk
I am God's advocate with the Devil; he, however, is the Spirit of Gravity. How could I be enemy to divine dancing?

Even if you are a highly trained special forces soldier.  I would be willing to bet that he would be able to move a lot more silently on a horse, than I could on foot.  Considering the size of outdoor rooms, I think you could at least make a pretty good effort and keep some people from seeing your arrive.

Of course you can sneak, that is not even a question.  But can your mount do so?

QuoteEven if you are a highly trained special forces soldier. I would be willing to bet that he would be able to move a lot more silently on a horse, than I could on foot. Considering the size of outdoor rooms, I think you could at least make a pretty good effort and keep some people from seeing your arrive.

I am sure you can camouflage yourself, and make no sound when you are moving, but what about your mount?  Does it care about being sneaky?  You guide it to some direction, and it -walks- there.  And while going there, it clacks its pincers, rubs its mandibles etc etc.  It is a large beast, and is only trained to carry you.  Or maybe you can have a mount which can help you in fight also.  But on Zalanthas, no common type of mount exist which is highly trained for stealth moves.

And considering outside rooms:  They are large and vast plains, stretching on all directions.  Such long and plain sight, and you have a mount which does not care about stealth, you can be easily sighted before you reach to the adjacent room
some of my posts are serious stuff

Ask yourself this:   Does your mount -really- have the mental capacity to understand the concept of anything other than simple locomotion?
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Heh.  I think you're all wrong.

Use the command while mounted.  I say so, because I know of at least one mount who can hide.  Not so sure about sneaking.  Look at descriptions to see what blends in, what doesn't.  What's lithe, what's huge and bulky.  I'm sure you'll find it, sooner or later :P
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

mounts that are animals that naturally have reason to hide and stalk could probably do so with a skilled rider.

Quote from: "Cuusardo"Ask yourself this:   Does your mount -really- have the mental capacity to understand the concept of anything other than simple locomotion?

I'm sure sunbacks could probably grasp the concept eventually.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Perhaps a sunback alone could learn, but I would think it'd be a bit difficult to do so when you've got the weight of a human on your back.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Ingame I have actually seen someone trying to sneak while on a kank, this was quite some time back. It says the same echo to the room as it normally does when you enter riding except it says stealthy arrives. But seeing that I don't think you would be able to -successfully- sneak while on a mount.I mean come on, the kank is HUGE.
oy what the fonk you want? Big Worm

There are plenty of mounts that can sneak and hide very well.  The problem is that they are not sold in any of the regular stables.  See, they are just SO damned sneaky that no one has ever spotted one, much less tamed it.  :twisted:

Ok, I don't really know.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins