Halflings

Started by Sanvean, June 06, 2004, 12:47:22 PM

If you have questions about the halflings or this announcement ( http://www.zalanthas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8848 ), feel free to ask them here.

I dont have a question, but I'd like to say thanks to everyone who dedicated their time to this. I had the impression many players missed the possibility to play one of the more "exotic" races, and the addition will make a good number of people very happy. While I dont intend to play a halfling at this time, I look forward to being eaten by a tiny PC.  :D

HO-LY-SHIT

I wish my character was dead, or had no further purpose in game. I'd be all over it. I probably don't have the karma, though. I'm still n00b.

D:

I hope the test goes smooth.

Yes, I hope to hear about it on the GDB if possible, just maybe a general statement now and then about how it is playing halflings, and how it's going in that tribe.
hake: He's in a better place now.
Frylock: He's in the grille of that truck!

I hope not, Meatwad.  Noone not in the clan should know anything...I'm with Agent, though...I would so love to play one, but my current character is still alive and with purpose.  *sigh*
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Is there any resource to aid player's roleplay halflings other than the paragraph in the helpfile?

Personally, I'm thinking it would be difficult to write up a background without any more knowledge than what we have.
Back from a long retirement

While I currently have a PC I would just like to say thanks. Thanks to all the people who made this 'testing' possibile and hopefully we will see anklebiters as a full time option. Gith next? :P
"People survive by climbing over anyone who gets in their way, by cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise taking advantage of others."
-Ginka

"Don't do this. I can't believe I have to write this post."
-Rathustra

No way, MANTIS next. Who cares about gith? They're ugly, smell bad, and have no sense of humor.
musashi: It's also been argued that jesus was a fictional storybook character.

I would also love to play a halfling always have and now that there is a chance to play one, I have a pc that I'm surely not going to stop playing. Damn this timing really sucks.
oy what the fonk you want? Big Worm

Ever heard a mantis giggle?

That's some nice shit to say before you kill someone.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I meant things like if they are considering adding more people, that it's being role played well, not things that are in game or in character.
hake: He's in a better place now.
Frylock: He's in the grille of that truck!

To whoever is playing them:

Pleeeeaaase don't just go hunt humans :P

We need to get them established so that ankle-biters can stick around.  I want to play one, but have a nice character right now.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

ACtually, I don't think a halfling just hunting humans would be good RP.

Anyway...for my question, will all the applicants have to take place in Ptarken? or could someone play at somewhere else in the forest?
Crackageddon.... once an addict, always an addict

Yeah, it wouldn't be great RP.

Which would be why I said don't do it, heh.

If they did, halflings would probably close again.

Quote from: "Dirr"No way, MANTIS next. Who cares about gith? They're ugly, smell bad, and have no sense of humor.

So, in other words, they're like Soviets?
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

The halflings will be based in the new Grey Forest expansion, and not in separate parts of the forest.

I will allow people to store current characters temporarily if they want to play one.

If you're interested, I can work with you on a background if you want to send your questions to me.

Am I banned from being a halfling?

Ninja-edit: "The halflings will be based in the new Grey Forest expansion, and not in separate parts of the forest." sounds like some sort of EverQuest thing.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Halfings, been there done that, admit somewhat interested in new docs, but I'll wait till gith or fale opens.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Sanvean, in the post, you mention that there's likely to be little contact with the outside world (non-halflings). So it's likely that most of the contact is going to be with the other halfling players or staff animating halfling NPCs.

How many people are you looking for to play halflings? And I'm guessing that you're also trying to get a fairly similar basis of playing times? Or is it more of a free-for-all?

Just wanted to throw in my own vote of thanks to all those who put the time and effort into this new venture. Who knows what the future holds for halflings or any of the other currently closed races but regardless I know we all appreciate this step.

I too would very much like to play a halfling but having just gotten in deep with some of the coolest RP I've ever had the pleasure of being a part of with my current character I reckon I'll have to wait until my inevitable demise.

:twisted: Which I'm hoping won't be for quite awhile yet.

Cheers!
Vox

Quote from: "PonchosAreGoodPonchosCanB"How many people are you looking for to play halflings?
Quote from: "[url=http://www.zalanthas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8848Sanvean in the announcement thread[/url]"]For a limited time (approx 2-3 months), the halfling clan will be available for play by application only. What this means is that I'm taking a small number of players who I trust and think will have a good time with the role and letting them test out the rewritten version of the clan and its area....... I will select a small number (6-8) and let them know by Sunday, June 13. I would dearly love to take a larger number, but we're going to try this to start with. I know it's not the fairest way to do it.

Ahh, thanks. Must be turning blind :P which I probably am!

Well, this is very cool.  I appreciate everyone's effort.  I won't be playing one though.  The whole 'no concept of ownership' is a bit too foreign a thought process to be appealing to me.

I just hope that the number of halfling applications that will be accepted has been balanced out, otherwise I fear a further thinning of the playerbase as it is spread further apart.  Not trying to rain on the parade, here, but it's a concern I have.

Of late I've seen more and more players online at any given time. But, CRW, I do agree. Your concerns are valid.

Why hunt humans when you could feed an entire village with just one half-giant?   :twisted:
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

Hahah...

The yellow-tusked, crimson-skinned half-giant is standing here, covered in halflings.

As he tries to brush the biting frenzy of halflings off, the yellow-tusked, crimson-skinned half-giant shouts, in sirihish:"Aiiiieeeeeee! Get 'em off!!! Get 'em off Logar!!!!"

The yellow-tusked, crimson-skinned half-giant's screams die off with a gurgle as he is taken down by the swarming mass of halflings.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

When are the 'testers' being chosen?  I won't know for a couple of days if my character is going to be embroiled in anything, or free to be temporarily stored.

By Sunday the 13th I believe the announcement said.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Hmmm... I'm sure there is much more halfling documentation available than what I have found... could anyone who is good with links list some up for me? Also, are there sample descriptions anywhere?

Thanks in advance  :D

look north

[near] A very short figure in a brown-fur cloak stands here

A very short figure in a brown-fur cloak arrives from the north

say (Tapping ~short on the head) Hello there little child, aren't you a little ways away from home?

The short figure in a brown-fur cloak begins hissing at you, then clicking it's tongue to make a series of noises.

emote raises a brow, looking towards ~short in a confused manner.

The short figure in a brown-fur cloak lowers his hood, revealing a short, painted halfing.

The short, painted halfing jumps at your ankles and begins biting you.

think: Never saw that coming.

the short, painted halfing pierces your neck, inflicting a grievious wound.

*Starting screen

-Only one of the several possible humourous encounters with one of these PC halfings.      :twisted:

-GF