None of the above, I just wing it baby!
15 (24.2%)
Other, please explain
0 (0%)
RP?! I spam "teach" as hard as I can!
2 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Voting closed: May 24, 2004, 04:39:04 PM

In many careers on Armageddon you're trying to get better at something. The two general ways to do this are via personal experience, or having a teacher. This poll is for you teachers out there. From where do you draw your inspiration when RP'ing out teaching someone a Zalanthan skill or trade?
color=darkred][size=9]Complaints of unfairness on the part of
other players will not be given an audience.
If you think another character was mean
to you, you're most likely right.[/color][/size]

sometimes i RP it and forget to use the teach command. Wait, no, I've only done it once or twice and i've always forgotten to use the teach command. shit.

First of all, I try to go by what I personally know about the subject.  I do not research, however, unless it is something my character should -really- know a lot about.  That is, I will not research on tanning techniques just for playing any Merchant, but if I special app as a tanning master, I would at least read a few pages.

Then there is, of course, the documentations, which are really the biggest guidelines I follow.

Sometimes I also invent a little, or just leave things oocly vague in my speech or emotes.  "Move your sword like this, then like that...".

And, well, that's it.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

I have little to no RL experience with most of the skills I've taught with my characters.  I don't know how to ride a kank, make an arrow or swing a sword RL.  If I get into the position of having to teach another character I try to visualize how the skill would work, and try to come up with something that makes sense.

The big thing with teach is that you're only really teaching the basics.  You're not teaching someone how to do some kind of sort of super-duper ninja kick, you're just showing him how to do the skill with some basic competence.   I usually keep that in mind, and show only basic techniques and go over some pitfalls etc.

Occasionally you encounter someone who thinks they're a RL swordmaster or something and they call your bluff.   If they want to play their character as thinking they know more than my character does, that's fine, I just skip using the teach command on them, which is fairly realistic.

My third character was a multiple personality and though I don't remember why she wanted to learn mirrukim, I -do- remember the lesson quite well. Somewhere along the line we decided to tell the story of "Little red hooded cloak and the big bad gith", which, since it was a pure rip off of the modern day story by a similar name, -everyone- knew. Anyway, the logic was, since we all know the story, we'll be able to understand some of the words, or at least associate them... The dwarf telling the story was awesome and when it was over, he used the teach command.

How can you pick one way to teach? Each character is different, one of my half-giant companions said the lessons taught outloud, some people just don't get it, other people got distracted easy, if I "taught" the same way every time, I can only imagine my character's frustration by the end of his or her life.

I picked the several option.  Learning rocks. :)
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

It depends on the subject.

If something that I can imagine how to perform the skill, I RP out what I imagined.  If it is something I am not sure, I watch how other people RP out the situation.  
And usually, I try to pick tup the skills that I know in RL.
some of my posts are serious stuff

Quote from: "ShaLeah"The dwarf telling the story was awesome and when it was over, he used the teach command.

I thought you couldn't use the teach skill for languages.

Quote from: "Pantoufle"I thought you couldn't use the teach skill for languages.
That is correct the last time I knew.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Common sense.
musashi: It's also been argued that jesus was a fictional storybook character.