Familiar Feeling

Started by Gar, May 20, 2004, 03:48:07 PM

So, my PC has been around a while.  He's not very high profile but he gets around.  He's seen a lot of deaths, gone through different friends.  Every once in a while I run into a new (to me) PC and I get this old familiar feeling.  It's very weird.  Sometimes I'll walk into a room and someone will smile or laugh.  OOCly I'm thinking that they are doing it because they're thinking, hey I knew that guy a long time ago, I'm glad (or surprised or whatever) he's still around.   I'm sure it's mostly my OOC imagination.  Maybe I'm just going a little crazy.  

Has this old familiar feeling happened to anyone else?  I can say that I am quite happy that no one has ever revealed that they did know me from a past PC, not even once.  It's just that I can meet someone and then we're riding down the road together or whatever and I feel likes its old times.
harlie Bucket: Mr. Wonka, they won't really be burned in the furnace, will they?
Willy Wonka: Well, I think that furnace is only lit every other day, so they have a good sporting chance, haven't they?

I've gotten it from the style of some people's emotes and I go, "Hey.  I think that was <PC X>", sometimes with a "Neato!".

IT wouldn't seem that unlikely for such a thing to happen in real life though either.  Imagine an old friend who always rubbed his eyes a certain way, it's not to say somene else wouldn't do it the same way by coincidence...

I've seen characters who've lived past my own PC's lives, and was OOCly SO tempted to -find- a reason to interact with them just so we could hang out again like old times.

Unfortunately most of the time it just isn't IC for my character to do that...so I don't. But to those of you I have enjoyed interacting with in the past, whose characters are still around after mine have moved on - thanks! And I hope our characters do meet up eventually.

What's really wierd is when you have a pc that is the mortal enemy of another...he dies, and one of your later pcs ends up friends with them. You have to work hard at not allowing past feelings about the pc interfere with your play of the current one.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

I read a story on the GDB a long time ago about someone who created another PC and ended up with the gang who killed his previous PC, and they were sitting around taking and one of them pulled out the head of his previous PC that they began kicking it around....
Vettrock

Sometimes I see a player who made a new character that goes about saying that he's a cousin to his old character that died, and he's informing all his old character's friends about his cousin death. :)

Sometimes I see the same player coming back to the mud with the same description, just different guild. One time he's an assassin, another time a warrior, and then a magicker.

Quote from: "TripleX"Sometimes I see a player who made a new character that goes about saying that he's a cousin to his old character that died, and he's informing all his old character's friends about his cousin death. :)

Sometimes I see the same player coming back to the mud with the same description, just different guild. One time he's an assassin, another time a warrior, and then a magicker.

that would get awful boring, but whatever fills your gourd.

If someone played the cousin of their own char to inform of that char's death, I'd probably email the staff about thatt time.  

It's not to harm the player, just someone who does that shouldn't and they probably dont' know any better yet.  I guess you could try telling them yourself, but likely it would take a lengthy explination, best not done in game ooc.

Quote from: "TripleX"Sometimes I see the same player coming back to the mud with the same description, just different guild. One time he's an assassin, another time a warrior, and then a magicker.

If you're going by sdescs rather than full descriptions then I can see how that might seem to be the case.  I've come back from long breaks to continue playing a character, for example, and bumped into other PCs with very similar or even identical sdescs.

Dunno, just thought I'd mention it as a possibility.  If someone's playing a magicker I'd have thought they'd know better than to reuse a description like that.

And sometimes I have the urge to ask a familiar PC:

>ooc Are you soandso?

And sometimes I have the urge to ask his GDB name:

>ooc Is your GDB account soandso?

Yeah, another odd urge
some of my posts are serious stuff