Can you think of anything -bad- about arm?..

Started by ashjpd, May 08, 2004, 09:23:31 AM

Is there something that you REALLY dislike about arm?

A-Yes
55 (59.8%)
B-No
37 (40.2%)

Total Members Voted: 87

Voting closed: May 08, 2004, 09:23:31 AM

Quote from: "SpyGuy"How is a movement echo sophisticated?
A sophisticated user interface keeps the user completely informed of what's going on. I agree that some people may find movement echoes a bit disturbing. I could compare that to the use of the brief command, but that would probably derail the thread too much.

QuoteTo me its jarring and somewhat annoying.  I would ask to be able to emote through the combat delay, just like you can emote during crafting.
Yes, a sophisticated command delay wouldn't stop -all- commands just because some commands need delay. But I'm not even sure if you can change the way emotes are handled without changing the whole command delay system.
QuoteThe webpage is fine as it is in my opinion.  Tons of pictures and scrolling info on guilds and everything...its all a bunch of clutter to me.
I didn't say I wanted tons of pictures. I said that a modern look would probably appeal more to new players. You are free to disagree.
QuoteA "modern" layout, by my understanding of what you want to see, is a more graphical interface.
Yes, a modern layout would probably be more graphical, and would probably include other typefaces besides the default font of the browser. The web site is an integral part of the image other people get, and I'm not sure if the image is optimal right now.
QuoteThis isn't a contest to see who can out post the other or who can get the best idea off, I interpreted this as a thread about how to improve the game.
Exactly. Most of my 'dislikes' are such that they can be fixed if they are conceived to be problems. For some, like the low playerbase, there is no quick fix. But that doesn't mean people should shut up about such things.

Come on, folks.. At this point someone just has to let it go.. You won't change your opinion and this will just go on forever or until an admin has to play the babysitter once again..
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

QuoteBut I will point out though, that there is something seriously wrong if a simple list of my personal dislikes as requested by the original poster creates this much hate and mayhem.

Hhhmmm, I hope I'm not coming across as hostile/hate/mayhem, not my intent.

Zore had the longest, and IMO best thought out list, I wanted to talk about that list and so posted. Many of the things listed as dislikes I would have listed as likes.:)
Anyway, onward...Wow, six pages.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: "X-D"I agree that emotes should be outside the que, but nothing else, not even other commands without delay, and the problem otherwise is not with code, but the player...Don't stack commands and you will not have that problem.
In combat, you don't even have to stack commands to get the awful command delay. And emote is not the only command which should be exempt from the delay, the look command is another one.
QuoteBut since you feel like bringing that up again, Armageddon has color, offwhite text on black backround with some things highlighted in a bright white, By the arguement you have that color can be turned off, so that argument can be turned around, if you want color, add it through your client, me, I don't like it and don't use it and I've never played any muds with large amounts of color, and I've been mudding since the very beginning.
Write shorter sentences, it's more easy to read. Some like colour, some do not. The most flexible option would be to let the user decide.
QuoteBut You say the delay is poorly coded, I say That is the way the powers that be want it.
Certainly. But I hope "powers that be" agree that there's often room for improvement.
QuoteDifferent levels of crime? Huh?
Yes. Do you find it unrealistic that the militia would pursue a templar murderer with more effort than a pickpocket? Do you find it unrealistic that every single soldier has this instant way of knowing who's wanted?

Quotebut I tell you, the crim code is not going to be changed anytime soon, if ever, but that is because of the players that then take advantage of the kinder gentler crim code.
It might not be changed. That still doesn't stop us from discussing the crim code.

QuoteThough true, the other forms of threat carry no weight with players unless backed with death, This is unfortunate...
No, that's bad RP. Torture and other forms of physical coercion are often ignored, but that's not a fact of life, that's just bad RP. Okay, I shouldn't say "bad RP" because people saying "bad RP" are often on my dislike list.

QuoteMe, I think we want to attract other players who are attracted by content, who are tired of the other muds with the flowery web pages who claim RP Intense or RP enforced and don't live up to it.
We want to attract solid RPers. There's no need to imply that all other muds suck, we've heard enough of it already.
QuoteThey start searching, before long they are just skimming over these fancy modern web pages that all look the same, then, they get to the Armageddon web page and it is different then the rest, catches the eye, they stop, maybe think Hhhmmm, maybe I will read a bit....
That's an interesting theory.

In reference to Zore's list:
Quote from: "X-D"I wanted to talk about that list and so posted. Many of the things listed as dislikes I would have listed as likes.:)
I'm with X-D on this.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "spawnloser"
DN, when you attack me, I won't be kind in return.
I am "discussing" you. Heh.

That is all.  I've said my piece.  In general, bitching about the mud in this kind of format will not accomplish anything.  If you want to accomplish anything, talk to the people who can make it happen, not a bunch of other people that can't.

You know, your discussion of other people's bitching will not accomplish anything and yet you insist on doing it. Have you ever tried to talk with the 'ppl who can make it happen'? It's like banging your head on the wall. Sure, let me email them and never get a reply...real productive.

Jhunter, stop being silly.

Quote from: "jhunter"
"You begin walking west."

think NO FUCKING SHIT, I just entered a command that should've made me walk that direction...that was a completely usless piece of information that I didn't need on my screen

This mud gives you a lot of information one person or another may find useless. Like sitting at a table etc, it gives you a message that you sit at said table, and you obviously already know you typed sit table.

Whats cool about that code is you can change directions midway and I don't see a problem with it in general. Maybe if you had played a mud with that style for longer than five minutes you would have a better perspective. What if it simply didn't have the emote?

Quote from: "Zore"Oh gee... I've seen a lot of shitty RP on Arm, so simple web pages must lead to shitty RP, too.

Or maybe web page look has nothing to do with the RP the MUD contains.
Yeah the second one. I was trying to be supportive of you and how you repay me? Et tu Zore?

Quote from: "Dead Newbie"
DN, when you attack me, I won't be kind in return.
I am "discussing" you. Heh.
Cute.

Quote from: "Dead Newbie"
That is all.  I've said my piece.  In general, bitching about the mud in this kind of format will not accomplish anything.  If you want to accomplish anything, talk to the people who can make it happen, not a bunch of other people that can't.
You know, your discussion of other people's bitching will not accomplish anything and yet you insist on doing it. Have you ever tried to talk with the 'ppl who can make it happen'? It's like banging your head on the wall. Sure, let me email them and never get a reply...real productive.
I don't know what you're talking about.  I have gotten things resolved.  Granted, that was all through one particular IMM...and yes, sometimes things are delayed longer than I would like, but oh well.  The IMMs have lives outside of the game and can't devote all their time to making sure our short attention spans are placated.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Shorter...hhhmmm.

Look still involves an action, I'm undecided on it being ouside delay/que though lean towards it staying as is.

QuoteSome like colour, some do not. The most flexible option would be to let the user decide.
Which is what we currently have, except instead of the staff having to take time to decide on and implement colors, you have too.

QuoteYes. Do you find it unrealistic that the militia would pursue a templar murderer with more effort than a pickpocket? Do you find it unrealistic that every single soldier has this instant way of knowing who's wanted?

On earth nowdays, sure I would, but on Zalanthas, No.
Either one has commited a crime against The Highlord/Sunking, there is no higher or lower form of crime. At one time here in the U.S. One got a harsher penalty for stealing a horse then killing a person..Unrealistic?
It is a different culture, and that is the way things work, leave it at that.
As to knowing instantly who is wanted, no, not unrealistic either, but the IC sensativity censer prevents me from explaining more.

QuoteIt might not be changed. That still doesn't stop us from discussing the crim code

True, but I was just pointing out that the code not getting changed is more the fault of players then staff.

QuoteQuote:
Though true, the other forms of threat carry no weight with players unless backed with death, This is unfortunate...
No, that's bad RP. Torture and other forms of physical coercion are often ignored, but that's not a fact of life, that's just bad RP. Okay, I shouldn't say "bad RP" because people saying "bad RP" are often on my dislike list.

Grin, I did not feel like coming out and saying "bad RP" but...Yes.
QuoteThey start searching, before long they are just skimming over these fancy modern web pages that all look the same, then, they get to the Armageddon web page and it is different then the rest, catches the eye, they stop, maybe think Hhhmmm, maybe I will read a bit....
That's an interesting theory.

Not so much theory, I know of 3 or more people who did just that.

[/quote]
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: "spawnloser"I don't know what you're talking about.  I have gotten things resolved.  Granted, that was all through one particular IMM...and yes, sometimes things are delayed longer than I would like, but oh well.  The IMMs have lives outside of the game and can't devote all their time to making sure our short attention spans are placated.

Well, for example, I was in a clan for an IC year or more and the clan immortal never let me onto the clan forum or responded to emails in anyw way. I have emailed several imms in different clans with questions about clan policies etc while I was in the clan and never received responses. That's what I mean by banging my head against the wall. I guess its just a real -long- delay. So, eventually, you just stop bothering or I did.

QuoteJhunter, stop being silly.

jhunter wrote:

"You begin walking west."

think NO FUCKING SHIT, I just entered a command that should've made me walk that direction...that was a completely usless piece of information that I didn't need on my screen

This mud gives you a lot of information one person or another may find useless. Like sitting at a table etc, it gives you a message that you sit at said table, and you obviously already know you typed sit table.

Whats cool about that code is you can change directions midway and I don't see a problem with it in general. Maybe if you had played a mud with that style for longer than five minutes you would have a better perspective. What if it simply didn't have the emote?

I'm not being silly DN, it's my personal preference.

I put few hours into it before I got sick of it, it wasn't the only thing about the game that irritated me but it was one of the big ones...seemed like I was spending more time waiting for movement to get done than doing anything else.
I don't need to do something more than a few minutes to know whether or not I like it, some things I don't need to try at all.
That's the equivalent of someone saying :" Stop being silly Dead Newbie, how do you know you wouldn't like getting fucked in the ass? You didn't do it very long..."
Trust me, I don't need to try it to know that I wouldn't be down with it. :roll:
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: "jhunter"
I put few hours into it before I got sick of it, it wasn't the only thing about the game that irritated me but it was one of the big ones...seemed like I was spending more time waiting for movement to get done than doing anything else.

God forbid you wouldn't be able to ride from Tuluk to Allanak in 10 minutes :P

What I like about it is that there is sort of like a crafting delay on movement. You can still do other things while you are 'moving'. What I am saying, if the echo wasn't there would you still throw a fit? Is if the echo that bugs you or the time it takes to move? I know as a player of dwarves, the movement delay makes me want to ride around town all the time.

QuoteGod forbid you wouldn't be able to ride from Tuluk to Allanak in 10 minutes

Never do it in ten minutes, I actually do take a bit of time. I'd rather see more rooms added if they wanted to force us into making it take longer instead of more move lag, I don't like the amount that there is already but I put up with it...any more than that and I'd just get bored of wasting all my time waiting for a single movement to go through.

It's a playability vs. realism issue...more realistic...yes, more fun...fuck no.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: "jhunter"I'd rather see more rooms added if they wanted to force us into making it take longer instead of more move lag, I don't like the amount that there is already but I put up with it...any more than that and I'd just get bored of wasting all my time waiting for a single movement to go through.

It's a playability vs. realism issue...more realistic...yes, more fun...fuck no.

Playability cutsboth ways. Its real lame when you're trying to be a raider and you have some merchants from Tuluk to Luir's who make their kank run then type in the entire route stacked. At least I thought so. These outdoor rooms are supposed to be huge. I wouldn't mind it to be coded in a similar way to SOI's movement code. Where there is a brief period of time where I see that you are leaving but you are not quite gone yet.

Don't feed the trolls.

My one and only pet peeve is that emotes are effected by movement and combat delay. I wish they weren't, but it's probably not very simple to fix.

What I don't like about Arm is the GDB.  It's 95% a bunch of people saying "No I said this," or "No I clearly said this and if you even read what I posted you would know," along with a whole bunch of page long posts with people quoting and requoting each other, quibbling over minutae of trivia.  Half the time ya'll are actually agreeing with one another, you just don't like the choice of wording the other person used and in the end, you're bickering over nothing.

Deep breath now boys and girls.  It's just a game.

I think most people use saturdays to leave their rooms and grace the nonbelivers with their rightious presence. - Call it a deed of good faith.

I cant say i have any problems with Arm, its i have always enjoyed myself every time i logged on.
on't worry if you're a kleptomaniac, you can always take something for it.

------

"I have more hit points that you can possible imagine." - Tek, Muk and my current PC.

The thing I dislike about Armageddon is that there is never enough immortals for me.  I think I should have 3 personal immortals watching my every move, and getting everything I require.  

Hmm.  Perhaps because I'm not living up to my end of the commitment, and sending in an email at least once a week about what I'm doing with my character to my clan immortals...  that might be why I'm not getting what I want done.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Edited for Dead Newbie...

Other things I don't like or could be changed:

1. I would like all Imm's to be as professional as possible and -always- leave personal opinions at the door when making decisions. Some are good at this.. Some are not. I don't want a friend as an Imm, I want a rational, non-bias leader. I am not bashing the staff, you all do a great Job. I just would like the professionalism that I would get from my boss if you are my Imm, because that is how I see you. I don't feel I always get that.

2. I hate the drinking code. I think it sucks. I wish there was some way to fix it and make it only last for a few Ic hours, I should not be drunk three days later. What would be cool is if your PC drinks -a lot- They should loose a bit of stamina for a IC half day or so.. Becuase I am not ever drunk for very long after I stop drinking.. But I am certainly hung over for a while.

3. I like the idea of mounted combat and wish it was coded more in favor of the rider. Why does the guy below get the advantage? Kanks are big and covered in chitin damit! And that guy's head is in perfect range for me to bowl it down with a morning star.

4. I would like to see more crime and smaller gang like tension amongst the common population. I would like to see a more Rinthy like feel come out into the main populace, slum lords. Take a bit of power away from the noble houses. Life is too damn good for the PC's right now.
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

Quote from: "spawnloser"What point is there in watching a movie when you already know the end?

Are you seriously saying there's no movies you like to see more than once?  You can know the plot of a story and still be excited to see how it plays out.  Keeping everything a secret doesn't make the game better -- it just makes 95% of the playerbase get shut out of being part of anything other than "wandering random damage" RPTs and tavern-sitting.  Ooooh, the excitement!

Hmm.  These aren't dislikes, so much as "wish-list" items.

1.  Slightly more robust aliases.  The ability to put in placeholders - so that I can 'alias feetdrag $1 (dragging his feet)', then type 'feetdrag west' and have it interpreted as the same as if I typed 'west (dragging his feet)'.

2.  Fixes to anything that can't recognize a 2.<keyword>.

Few other things, but nothing comes to mind as critical.
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

Quote from: "JollyGreenGiant"1.  Slightly more robust aliases.  The ability to put in placeholders - so that I can 'alias feetdrag $1 (dragging his feet)', then type 'feetdrag west' and have it interpreted as the same as if I typed 'west (dragging his feet)'.

I'm curious why you'd want work put into something that can be done with a mudclient?

reading pages of back and forth between people who think they are right but are all just idiots for jacking off on each other.

Uhg.

See my new sig.

Quote from: "CRW"
Quote from: "JollyGreenGiant"1.  Slightly more robust aliases.  The ability to put in placeholders - so that I can 'alias feetdrag $1 (dragging his feet)', then type 'feetdrag west' and have it interpreted as the same as if I typed 'west (dragging his feet)'.

I'm curious why you'd want work put into something that can be done with a mudclient?

I'd be a fan of allowing more aliases that 10, since I don't play with a client.

Does anyone know were I can get a unix client that does not require me to be root to install?
Vettrock

Quote from: "Vettrock"
Does anyone know were I can get a unix client that does not require me to be root to install?

tintin++ used to compile under unix. Not sure now.