give 1200 coins hairy

Started by Seeker, March 25, 2004, 11:38:46 AM

What is the general opinion?  Are there bigger coins or different marked coins for larger denominations?  Is there an accepted standard anywhere for the "five small" trading 'sid?

It is odd, because the weight seems to based upon "per each", but some Zalanthans would spend a -huge- amount of their daily lives counting and recounting otherwise.

Officially sealed, untamperable pouches recognized as the "one large" pouch?  

There has -got- to be a scam-market going on somewhere.

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

I would think that House Nenyuk would offer letters of credit or bank notes of some sort.  Sort of, you pay 550 obsidian to the bank in Tuluk, get a note with a wax seal that entitles you to 500 obsidian, you go to Allanak, and sell the note to the Nenyuk bank.  The Nenyuk folks make money, you get an easy way to carry around a lot of money, and everyone wins.  Assuming someone doesn't find a way to counterfeit notes by the thousands. :)

In the past I've seen and done different things to indicate counting the coin.  From hefting a bag to test its weight to using in-game objects to aid with the counting to counting off coins by the tens.

I've seen people emote that they had a 50sid piece, which I think would be the best way to go about it, but since I've never seen an official staff response I've never followed suit.

Quote from: "black isis"I would think that House Nenyuk would offer letters of credit or bank notes of some sort. Sort of, you pay 550 obsidian to the bank in Tuluk, get a note with a wax seal that entitles you to 500 obsidian, you go to Allanak, and sell the note to the Nenyuk bank. The Nenyuk folks make money, you get an easy way to carry around a lot of money, and everyone wins. Assuming someone doesn't find a way to counterfeit notes by the thousands.

Perhaps ICly characters should start to develop money?
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Find something small thats worth 1000 sids and there you go :)

Maybe a diamond of some sort. Or a very small piece of metal. Maybe a finger-nail size that is neither useful nor interesting. But its metal.

The game is really not set up for bartering with the NPC population.  Shop merchants don't universally recognize the value of precious stones or any other commodity.  

We're set up to use the coin economy.  You lose value in buying anything from the NPC shops with 'sids, and then again in selling commodities for 'sids to use for trade.  That's how the traders make their livelihood after all.

It just seems that there should be some recognized convention to justify and simplify the frequent transactions of literally thousands of small stone chips.  Not a new item type, or a code change.  Just a convient RP tool I could use in regular play.

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Well npcs can also be 'virtually' bartered with. But I was speaking more for PCs. Like several things in game rely on an 'imaginary' bartering system, especially people that would not use sid.

There have been, to my recollection, two major discussions on the currency in Zalanthas. The Knights Templar used to issue paper notes back in the days of gold coins, and that was suggested here.

Finding something worth a lot works, but you run into challenges with that. There have to be diamonds available all over the known world for the money supply to be sufficient for it to be accepted.

I don't want to see the currency system change into one like other muds that use copper, silver and gold pieces. That's just a nightmare, it would never work in the real world.

Then again, there are rarely any large payments of sid that people can't carry round in the form of the coins we have now.

Quote from: "Seeker"The game is really not set up for bartering with the NPC population.  Shop merchants don't universally recognize the value of precious stones or any other commodity.  

It does seem that way, doesn't it?

I like to think it of it like this. These established merchants who have a regular stand or hut or route, are there to sell -their- items, not gather items they may or may not be able to barter with. In many cases these stores are run by a major merchant house and I don't think any merchant House would be interested in getting an item when they have scores of scavengers taking care of the dirty work for them. The NPC's never barter with items either, you don't offer them your necklace to have them offer you a bottle of perfume and a loaf of bread in exchange, they give you cold, hard (obsidian) cash.

I don't really care that we don't have a 10 sid chip, I don't really want Nenyuk to ask me how I want my 300 sid,  it'd be a little to real world for me.

ShaLeah
-who would like to have a money hungry character who is rich enough to fill a bath tub with sid to soak in it...

I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Quote from: "gfair"I don't want to see the currency system change into one like other muds that use copper, silver and gold pieces. That's just a nightmare, it would never work in the real world.

Then again, there are rarely any large payments of sid that people can't carry round in the form of the coins we have now.

I think it would work very well...just not with gold, silver and copper.

I can see chips of obsidian being coins. And then there being some coins that are actually formed. Crafted, made with details marked by an agent of teklones (or...nenyuk?). Crafting them though...or making them would be highly illegal, similiar to trying to make money in the real world.

Still...I think that a noble wouldn't issue a guard to carry his sid about himself. And especially those of the richer class...they would come up with a way to buy their silks and gems with their wealth. Not a hug bag of sid.

I like the suggestion, and would vote for it. Although if there isn't enough support, we obviously make do. (And the character I have rarely deal with 20,000 obsidian coins at a time. Though I've seen some situtations...a little distant though. Poor me. ...literally. heh.)
Veteran Newbie

There are some NPCs that work through barter, but the NPCs in the city-states want cash. I'm willing to think this reflects the difference between the boonies and the big cities, and that there are different denominations of coins. I

f someone wants to get ambitious and write up a virtual system (which, imo, would be cooler if it's not base ten), we can turn it into a help file for RP purposes.

That sounds fun, I'd love to, but has anyone else started doing this yet..?  Twould be nice that if people were thinking about working on it, that could be known so others wouldn't write up a beautiful system.. to be scrapped.  But hey, if someone DOES write up a beautiful system to be scrapped, it could go into the history files for a destroyed zalathaian civ, now THAT woudl be cool too.

I dono..

If we suppose atm coins are all 1 denomination, I dont see Nenyuk releasing larger denominations any time soon.  Not only from the stand point that they would rather have your coins in thier vaults so they can use it to make more money, but also the cost of production of the new coins would be prohibitive.

Nenyuk doesn't make the coins, Allanak does, so it has nothing to do with Nenyuk.  As far as Allanak is concerned I can think of reasons for different coins.

I'll say only once... I promise.  NPCs it would be very hard to code the barer system realistically... so coins are needed.   However... if we had more pc merchants... maybe it would be easier to get away from having to use only obsidian coins.

<this space for rent>

Quote from: "gfair"
I don't want to see the currency system change into one like other muds that use copper, silver and gold pieces. That's just a nightmare, it would never work in the real world.

That's for sure. Those copper pennies, silver dimes and gold dollar coins are just so unrealistic!  :D

But on a serious note, I've never liked the way coins are handled in the game. Walking into a store and buying a sword would take an hour as you sit there and carefully count out hundreds of 'sid, then hand them over and wait for the storekeeper to count them all too, just so everyone's sure they're not being robbed. It'd be like buying your morning latte with pennies.

A discussion came up a long time ago on the board about the obsidian coin, so everyone should read it first, especially the parts pertaining to why obsidian coins have any value in the first place. I still stand by the opinions I expressed last year in that thread, so that's all from me today.

I stand by the opinion that there are fifty sid, twenty sid, five sid, and one sid pieces.. for the reason that was illustrated above. Counting out your coins to shopkeepers would take WAY too long otherwise.

Coin values, idea not in base ten.
New coin: value relative to current coin system
Bite: 1 coin
Fist: 5 coins
Sword: 25 coins
Tower: 125 coins

Or to put it another way...
125 Bites = 25 Fists = 5 Swords = 1 Tower

Logic behind these, more power as you work your way from the smaller coins to the larger...since they are 'Allanaki' coins, Tek's tower ruling over all...beneath that the sword...sword beats fist...bite coming in last because a civilized being would not stoop to such a means to cause harm to another, and thus is inferior to fist.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "Kronus"It'd be like buying your morning latte with pennies.
I believe simply using scales would solve this problem.  Back when coins and gold were still popular most stores used scales instead of counting out coins or gold nuggets.  The shop keep would keep weights of maybe ten, fifty, one hundred and scale it against however many coins were dumped onto the other side.  By using weight over and over people should be able to guess how heavy any amount would be.  If you know you have about 100 coins in your pouch then pour about half out to get fifty coins.  Weigh it up and you and the shop keep are on your way.

As for paper money... if the money system is to refine itself and become more complex, I think it should start and do mostly though IC means.  Obsidian coins provide playability and anything more would simply be for IC reasons.

<this space for rent>

spawnloser has a nice idea.

If you look around you might see ways that people keep track of large ammounts without needing to count.  Besides scales, you also have sticks and tubes that measure the height of a stack of coins, like a ruler.  You might see a coin belt that has tube shaped pouches, and each tube holds exactly 100 coins when full, so you need three tubes of coins to buy a 300 'sid breastplate.  Weighing, stacking and rolling coins seem like reasonable ways of handling large amounts of coin.  

I imagine, for a small fee, Nenyuk might provide large amounts of coin in rigid, reusable tubes.  Unlike a pouch, a tube would be difficult to mess with, and you could easily pour the tube out into a stack, which could then be measured against a coinstick to make sure it was the right amount.  Unlike rolling coins in paper, with rigid tubes you wouldn't need to count the coins before packing them, when the tube is full you have exactly 100 coins.  Leather boiled in wax ought to make a good tube that is both reusable and relatively inexpensive.

If I have a planned purchase with a PC I might emote handing them a pouch of coins and telling them I had the banker count it out for me, saving me the trouble of counting it.  Many merchant PCs will emote weighing the coins in their hand, it seems reasonable that someone who handles many coins would know what 500 coins should feel like.  It's like those old recipies that tell you to use a pinch of this, a dash of that, and a double handfull of something else, leaving a modern reader looking at her precision crafted measureing spoons helplessly and wondering "how much is in a handfull?"  Just for flavor, when I'm dealing with a PC and handing over a large amount of coins I'll sometimes be off a few coins, not more than 10.  Sure, OOCly I know exactly how much I handed him and he knows exactly how much he recieved, but most players will play along and "not notice" that they have been shorted or overpaid a couple coins.  Perfection is over-rated.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Nice touch AC, I'll have to try that out.

The problem with stacks being measure in Zalanthas...Have you ever seen worked obsidian in real life?  That shit fractures like a mother fucker.  Good luck getting it into a regular shape...again and again...and again some more.  There will be variations in coins that could throw off any measurement by size to get the total number of coins.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Measuring devices exist, therefore the coins are measurable.

I think the explanation may lay in the method used to convert raw obsidian into obsidian coins.  Trying to carve dimes out of obsidian shards would be hard, especially since certain tattoos imply that these coins actually have pictures on them.  Assuming these things are smaller than a coaster, it's hard to imagine that there would be enough skilled artisans to keep carving the coins.

Suppose that the coins aren't carved at all.  Could the obsidian be heated back into molten glass and then molded into coins.  Sure, it would be hard to get that kind of controled heat in Zalanthas, you might even need to use magick since combustables seem rare in around Allanak, but molding molten glass into coins would have some advantages over carved glass.  It would be very difficult, for the coins to be counterfeited.  The molded coins might even be stronger than carved coins.

Then again, perhaps breakable coins is the point.  A broken coin is worthless.  The government produces coins, then uses them to buy goods and services.  The coins move into the marketplace, a percentage of them shattering and becoming worthless, creating a demand for more coins.  That way the government can print money at will without causing inflation, because the total amount coins in circulation remains stable.  The money self-destructs after the templarate uses it, sort of like a tax you don't see comming.  :twisted:

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

QuoteSuppose that the coins aren't carved at all. Could the obsidian be heated back into molten glass and then molded into coins. Sure, it would be hard to get that kind of controled heat in Zalanthas, you might even need to use magick since combustables seem rare in around Allanak, but molding molten glass into coins would have some advantages over carved glass. It would be very difficult, for the coins to be counterfeited. The molded coins might even be stronger than carved coins.

Seems like a reasonable possibility considering there are gemmed in 'Nak and all. Maybe that's the only reason they tolerate them being around.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D