Italics

Started by Trenidor, February 25, 2004, 12:01:07 AM

I got a neato code implimentation I'd like to disscuss!!

Here's my idea: Add the ability to italicize words into arm.

specifically, I want to be able to speak, but have specific words stand out with enfasis. I know there might be a way to say it through emotes, but I've tried the longest time and can't figure out how to say: "how do you really feel about gortok?" and other such sayings with enfasis on specifc words.
Crackageddon.... once an addict, always an addict

I think using hyphens are -every- bit as good as italics.

I agree, but it would be a nice option.

I'd like bold, too.
quote="Teleri"]I would highly reccomend some Russian mail-order bride thing.  I've looked it over, and it seems good.[/quote]

Quote from: "CRW"I think using hyphens are -every- bit as good as italics.

Hyphens -can- be good, but asterisks can *also* be quite nice.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

Asteriks *can* be difficult depending on the mud client though.

How often -do- people actually use hyphens? I almost never see people using them in game when speaking.

THE SHIFT KEY IS THERE FOR A REASON.

YOU CAN ALSO USE IT TO EMPHASIZE WORDS.  IT'S NOT JUST FOR PUNCTUATION.

Bold and italic would be nice...

but in the meantime we use CAPS and -these-.

-these- work well, but nothing at all wrong with *this* or "this" and sometimes even -*THIS*- or !!THIS!!
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Bold might be possible (and is used in certain instances in game), but I don't think italics would be feasible.  You must remember that even though most of us are using some sort of specialized client, this is still a telnet based game.  As far as text formatting on telnet, most telnet apps can do colours and bold (usually by adding increasing the brightness of the original colour).  Some telnet clients can handle italics, but I do not believe this is standardized.
When we found her Marnlee mornin',
Hoofprints walking up her back
There were empties by her war braids
And sixty-five dead carru in a stack.

~ Unknown - Heru Got Runover by a Carru

An idea?

Standardize using the hyphen, and add a code feature that makes such a word bolded in the clients which can support it, and simply hyphened in those which cannot.

I am not certian this is possible. Perhaps more valid would be the use of astericks to bold for your client, forceably adding ANSI coloring, if you like. I do not know of a client which does not allow you to use astericks.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: "Trenidor"Here's my idea: Add the ability to italicize words into arm.
You don't probably want to know this, but...

If you do say Hello, how are <i>you</i> doing?, people with new ZMuds will see the word 'you' in italics. It's called MUD Extension Protocol.

You can use colours, boldface, underline and whatnot. But people using other clients than ZMud will not be happy, so you should ignore this message :P.

Heh, that's neat.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

your ideas help some, -I- though,  already use the dashes and the caps, but I feel my point isn't got across as I'd like.... the <i> </i> I don't think works for anyone that uses something other than zmud, I might be wrong, I'd have to see it IG to find out.
Crackageddon.... once an addict, always an addict