Listen...

Started by Disgruntled Commoner, February 23, 2004, 10:16:29 PM

CENSORED BY XYGAX DUE TO IN-GAME SENSITIVITY

The gist of the thing was "When X does something for Y instantly, Y's lackeys shouldn't harass X when Y is gone.  Xs make the world go round."

See below for my (Xygax') further thoughts on this thread.
END CENSORED SECTION

[end rant]

Was the aide making fun of you? I probably would too.
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

Quote from: "Dakkon Black"Was the aide making fun of you? I probably would too.

Seriously. Who said they have to "be nice" and suck ass to you?

Nope.  Useless potshot while I was trying to have a pleasant conversation.

What happens in the game ought to stay in the game. I am sure it was nothing personal. If someone is mean to you, it is their character being mean to you, not the player. No need to get so upset over something so trivial.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Quote from: "Disgruntled Commoner"CENSORED BY XYGAX

Heh, sounds like someone was an asshole to you.  Sweet.  Pay someone to get their eyes gouged out.

I don't pretend to know the details of the occasion or even understand all of your post.

But if somebody wants to be an ass-hole to you ICly, don't they have that right?
Back from a long retirement

Flame much?
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Um, yeah, so like...why not just tell them to leave the discipline up to the noble?  *shrug*
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Why would "that player" feel bad about upsetting a noble? The noble isn't the player of the noble. It's a character being portrayed by a roleplayer. I'm sure the noble's player isn't taking it personally, you shouldn't either.

Unless I'm misunderstanding and there's some OOC stuff going on in all this. In that case, the people involved should take their OOC issues OOC.

I just don't see what the problem is, assuming what you've posted is all there is to it.

This sounds a whole lot like the thread about crafting, IMHO.  Something that has little/no relevance about being discussed OOCly.  If I'm wrong, no flames...just post a polite: "No uberjazz".

Edited to add: I suggest we sort of...ignore this thread?  It will quickly turn into a nutzo flame war...

I wasn't around when whatever caused that post happened, but I'm quite sure who the ranter is, the person that caused the rant and what happened. So yeah, that post was totally uncalled for. Please keep IC stuff IG. Also, I advise you to try not to get pissed off when someone does things like that to your character. No one is after -you-, we're all just after your character :twisted:

Pay someone to gorge their eyes out.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: "CRW"Heh, sounds like someone was an asshole to you.  Sweet.  Pay someone to get their eyes gouged out.

I LOVE THIS GAME.
:mrgreen:

Quote from: "Agent_137"
Quote from: "CRW"Heh, sounds like someone was an asshole to you.  Sweet.  Pay someone to get their eyes gouged out.

I LOVE THIS GAME.
:mrgreen:

Lol I missed that one...which imm was it that posted about killing people iff they piss you off IG?

Quote from: "Cuusardo"Flame much?

That wasn't a flame.
quote="Teleri"]I would highly reccomend some Russian mail-order bride thing.  I've looked it over, and it seems good.[/quote]

Quote from: "Callisto"
Quote from: "Cuusardo"Flame much?

That wasn't a flame.

Yeah, it really wasn't.  Especially when the thread poster is pretty much wrong.

Perhaps someone with authority could delete this thread and we can all forget that it ever happened.

-Irulan
Mal: "Well they tell you: never hit a man with a closed fist. But it is, on occasion, hilarious."
---
Inara: "Thank you for the wine. It's very... fresh."

Mal: "To Kaylee, and her inter-engine fermentation system."

Sorry I posted this guys.  Just take it way before even more people get upset.  Time to learn to control this pesky temper of mine.

I'm not going to delete this thread, and I haven't been as heavy-handed in cleaning up posts as I might like to have been.  If it hasn't been made clear enough previously, I'll establish this as a STRONG guideline for what's appropriate to post about on the GDB, and what isn't:

If something upsets you about the game, ICly or OOCly, and you feel strongly enough that you are inclined to post a "rant" about it on the GDB, don't.

First, take time to consider if it is really appropriate GDB fodder.  I'll predict right now that it likely isn't.  If it isn't, and after consideration it still upsets you, e-mail mud@ginka.armageddon.org.

In some rare instances a particular irritation CAN be good content for this discussion board.  In those instances, take a little while to really think about what it was that upset you, analyze why it upset you -REALLY- (was it OOC on the part of the other players involved?  Probably a good one to e-mail to the account.  Was it poor RP?  Is there a stylistic point you could constructively address without a rant?  Is there a niggling irritation about the code, or the game's content that you can suggest a fix for?)

In this particular case, for me, the irritation has to do with the increasingly poor use of this forum.  This thread began with a post containing NO constructive content, and enough in-game information to enable those present to identify a specific -- not to mention recent -- in-game moment, and potentially learn more about how it played out, regardless of whether they were present for that moment or those following it.

This is bad.

Worse still, this thread degraded (imagine going downhill from THAT start) into flames, and then degraded FURTHER into a discussion of whether the flames WERE actually flames.

I have no objection to heated discussions, and I think overall it's a good thing that the players of this game feel as strongly about it as they do.  It's a powerful thing when a form of media, a form of entertainment, evokes such a strong reaction in its participants.  But flames and trolls WILL NOT enable you to enact change in the game.  Considered, rational, thoughful, organized argumentative (in the formal sense, not the bickering sense) writing WILL.

Please, please, please, I beg you, seriously consider the content you contribute to this forum, before the noise overwhelms it so greatly that the people most likely to make change as a result, stop wading through to pick out signal.

-- A Disappointed X