We've Been Here Awhile

Started by Pungee, February 23, 2004, 05:10:00 PM

So, it occurs to me after remembering my old sk00l GDB name 'Ugly Death Elf' that I've been in Arm for awhile. Playing off and on since... ohhh... 2000 or 2001 I think. That means four years. Wow. Long time. So, how long has everyone been playing Arm? Post up. Respond. Make me feel inferior :D

Since 3 months after it opened to the public, what is that now, 1992?
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: "X-D"Since 3 months after it opened to the public, what is that now, 1992?

Just out of curiousity, how was the transition from hack-and-slash to now? Were a lot of people upset over it? Did it gradually switch or was it an overnight sort of thing?
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Less then four months from two years of playing Arm. I think I'll celibrate this one.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Didn't we just do this a week or two ago?  Oh well.

April 2001
Almost 3 years now.  

I didn't start feeling like a non-newbie until I'd been around 2 years.  I wonder how long it takes to feel like an old-timer?  My guess is at least 5 years.  :sigh:

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

QuoteJust out of curiousity, how was the transition from hack-and-slash to now? Were a lot of people upset over it? Did it gradually switch or was it an overnight sort of thing?

Keep in mind, I did take time off here and there, some for multiple years, this is my 3rd account, since I can never remember my prior account names.

Anyway, in the beginning, the player base was VERY small, back when the 2-6 players used to gather around the fountain at the square to chat, and when lag was so bad it could easily take you 5 minutes to get the 13 rooms from the fountain to the elven spice dealer in the alley of the market. Then from him the 8 rooms to the potion lady up in the northwest corner of the market.

Back then there was some attempt to RP, but nobody really knew how, to tell you the truth, we did not have the wealth of docs that we do now, nor was what we did have easy to get to. There was many bugs and I don't think we had permadeath at the time (kinda hazy) Though I seem to remember some big todo about that and for a time at least, a keep percentage of skills went in, or was supposed to at least...hhhhmmm, think it went in. I remember many funny things about mounts and backpacks and mount rental etc, the old gather code was damm funny when defiler was put in, I remember the first mantis pc and the first mul, when it was made so you could not cast and wield at the same time, I can tell you, that rather upset me since I was playing a decked out in steel half-giant stone cleric who used to do very bad twinky H&S things.

But the changes were gradual and I don't remember anybody being any more upset as they went in then when the hp regn was halved a few years ago, most people wanted to RP, they just needed help and direction.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

People were upset about the half HP regen? I thought everyone was happy about it (or maybe just I was) :P

If you have any logs from ages ago you should put 'em up. They'd be hilarious to read and I can't imagine they'd be anything remotely IC about them :P ;)

For those who don't know, not too long ago you used to get about 5-10 hit points back for resting instead of the one at a time that goes on now.

I remember taking a hit after failing a bash and somehow managing to stand up and be at full health again... that was how it was done some time not long ago.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

I've played for over ten years

I started playing in April 2003.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

August 28, 2002

Edited - got the year wrong.

Six months for me.  Wow, half a year already!

--Unicorn
UNICORN
QuoteSome things have to be believed to be seen.

November 1st, 1998.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Are there any logs from like....7-8 years ago?  I'd be really interested in seeing them.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

9, almost 10 years.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, for they multiply the number of mankind.

Over seven years ago, almost eight.

Very close to Mansa and Moontug (dunno if moontug still plays).  Late 1998.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

score
You are John.
Sdesc: the brown-haired young man
Objective:
Long Description:
Code Generated Long Description.

You are 19 years, 9 months, and 9 days old,
which by your race and appearance is adult.
You are 72 inches tall, and weigh 6 ten-stone.
Your strength is poor, your agility is poor,
 your wisdom is average, and your endurance is average.
You are full and not thirsty.
Your health is 50(50), you have 100(100) stamina, and 70(70) stun.

You have been playing for 1 year and about 7-8months.
You are sitting on a cushioned, black and grey computer chair, at a black computer desk.
You are currently speaking english.

I started playing July of 2002 :D

And damn AC. You must of seen the entire known world  :shock:

I musta started 1994... was a different place back then that's for sure. Halfling traders would come and hang out in Flint's :)

But it was a lot of fun, and the world was still large and mysterious.

Hrmm. Started Mars or April of last year.

Logs of ancient times would be grand.

Played for a while back in 93/94, a bit in to 95... good ol thrash.

Punked out, went hither and thither, did stuff, came back Oct 2002.

Still lovin it.

Ocassionally, I wonder if some of the people who I recruited so long ago still play here.  I'd like to think so.  If not, no bad thing, you guys all rock anyway.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Started in 94.  Been here off and on since then, with a couple of 1-2 year breaks.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Quote from: "Twilight"Started in 94.  Been here off and on since then, with a couple of 1-2 year breaks.

Same here.
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Something like a year and a half now. And I am way too addicted...
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

September 10th, 2002 myself. A little less than 18 months currently.

I still have the acceptance e-mail around. If you ask me in a year, I probably won't remember. :P

Lots and lots of hours though... :oops:
f time conversions are giving you a head-ache, visit: http://www.worldtimeserver.com/