Here's a question.

Started by mansa, February 17, 2004, 01:56:00 PM

The answer is already no.  There's no point in bringing it up, to have overjustification over the subject.  But, I seriously think this is a problem.

Armageddon's preset skill trees in the forms of Guilds are all well thought out.  Certain classes are named in accordance to the skills they get.  'Warriors' get more fighting skills, like kick and chopping weapons, while 'Merchants' get crafting skills, and value.

Some skills, complement each other, or work hand in hand.  Peek with Steal.  Brew with Poisoning.  Scan and Hide.  Contact and Barrier.  Steal and Plant.  And, to an extent, Fletchery and Archery.

However, I believe that there is one guild that is missing out on a skill that they should have.  It's one of the ones that I gave, in the examples above.  It complements the skill that they already have.  It's almost.. silly..  not having it.  I'm -not- wishing it to be set as a starting skill.  I just mean that they should have it, somewhere, even very deep within the skills tree.

It's not the race given skills.  I'm not talking about how certain races are given certain skills for picking them.  And it's not a skill that is given in the subclasses, either.  I'm just talking about the Guilds.

I don't know what to do.  I'm still fully convinced that this guild needs this skill, and I haven't been given a counter-argument to change my mind.  In my thoughts, the only conceivable reason why it shouldn't be added, is that it might make that class too powerful, or, might give that class too many skills.  I still think that the addition of that skill involved outweighs the arugement of 1337ness.

---

Perhaps what needs to be done, is to change the way some Guilds branch.
Have a choice, if one skill branches, have another skill not be able to.  Like, if you're a merchant, working moreso with silks, have them not be able to branch wagon_making.  If you're an assassin, have them be able to pick whether to branch disarm, or to branch lock pick.  If you're a burglar, a choice to branch sap or to branch scan.

It's just a thought, in a way to counter-act my idea not being implemented into the system.

What are your thoughts and ideas on the few topics I just brought up?
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

QuoteI'm still fully convinced that this guild needs this skill, and I haven't been given a counter-argument to change my mind. In my thoughts, the only conceivable reason why it shouldn't be added, is that it might make that class too powerful, or, might give that class too many skills.

E-mail the MUD.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Quote from: "Carnage"E-mail the MUD.
Quote from: "mansa"The answer is already no.  There's no point in bringing it up, to have overjustification over the subject.

I already did.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Then, the only possible answer is to keep fighting the good fight.

Even if the odds are hopeless, work at a war of attrition.  Wheedle and convince one staff member at a time.  Throw luncheons for your targets.  Wage a media campaigne.

Damnit Mansa, -fight- for what you believe in.

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Damnit Mansa, you're going about this the wrong way. You have to mudsex (deftly) Halaster. I TOLD you this in IM, you knucklehead. He only pretends to not be here anymore, but the sekrit tr00f is, he's here. All the time. And if you mudsex him (deftly) he will buckle under the pressure and toss that skill onto that guild as a branch off of a branch of something or other.

In all seriousness, I agree, though I never had any reason to be emphatic about it. When I played that particular guild I hardly ever used any of the skills it came with and I don't think I branched anything at all the entire 5 months I played that character.

But if I was to play the guild as my character's "vocation" I definitely would see the need for that skill, and so I support your efforts to either a) get it added or b) find out what is it that makes it a no-go.

I personally think they should have to trade peek and steal for it.
Back from a long retirement

For what its worth... having played the guild I'm pretty sure you're talking about, and found myself SORELY missing that skill.  I agree.

I could think of several skills the guild could do without more than the one its missing.

Keep pushing for this!
laloc Wrote
Trust, I think, is the most fundamental tool which allows us to play this game. Without trust, we may as well just be playing a Hack and Slash, and repopping in Midgaard after slaying a bunch of Smurfs.

I'd say fix the problem this way:

1/2 * hide skill = scan skill

Scan * 1=  scan skill

If by some miracle, you have both hide and scan, your in luck!

scan + hide * 1/2 = scan skill

That way, those with hide can find those hidden, makes sense, just not as well as someone who's specifically trained just to find hidden people.