What do you do when your beloved PC dies?

Started by Better off dead, February 07, 2004, 05:54:18 PM

Quote from: "Akaramu"In a perfect world, no one but imm's would know the character names related to GDB names  :P

Well, I don't think that's the point.  The point is that if I come on the GDB 5 minutes after someone killed me and say 'I just got killed, but it was a well-roleplayed scene' then chances are the killler(s) are going to know who the person was behind the PC they offed.

Who said it was yesterday?
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

When a character of mine dies, I keep it a secret.

The best secret I ever kept was 2 RL months.  Heheh.  And -then- they found out I died...and some thought I just 'retired'.

But..see..  I -had- to tell someone, so I just vented off to my clan immortal.  She liked it.  Hi Jolanda!
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I think this whole thread was a trap.

Hmm.. If anything I would say we know who the killers are.. But that is just one notion of a kille.. um.. I mean.. One persons view of the scene.. :) *mind Shrug*

My point being.. uberjazz didn't come and say "Hey! I just died! I am pissed off! It was a Well-rp scene, so it was ok.

All I saw was: I -recently- lost a character, and thank god it was in a well-rped, -not- insta-death situation. I probably had no way of talking myself out of it, but ah well. I honestly couldn't sleep the night after, which sucked, because I had a 9 AM class.

He didn't say it was five minutes ago or just a couple days ago.. I thought it was vague and not really IC.. Awhille Maybe I don't have a point.. I don't know.. do I care if his PC died OOC? No.. I probably don't.. Am I looking for a lot of people I like IC but don't know if they are dead or not? Probably. Probably Not. If it was in the city, then There are usually people around that would tell people about it and those people would tell people and the chain just keeps going.
Quote from: Cutthroat on September 30, 2008, 10:15:55 PM
> forage artifacts

You find a rusty, armed landmine and pick it up.

When I die, I take a deep breath, shout forth a resounding "fuck", then go sit on the pot for an hour, thinking about what I did wrong, and how I can avoid said mistakes in the future.

It's all gravy.

What was wrong about his post? And Krath, who else should edit? I'm a bit confused. People jump to conclusions too quickly, and can easily be mistaken.

Quote from: "Delstro"Hmm.. If anything I would say we know who the killers are.. But that is just one notion of a kille.. um.. I mean.. One persons view of the scene.. :) *mind Shrug*

My point being.. uberjazz didn't come and say "Hey! I just died! I am pissed off! It was a Well-rp scene, so it was ok.

All I saw was: I -recently- lost a character, and thank god it was in a well-rped, -not- insta-death situation. I probably had no way of talking myself out of it, but ah well. I honestly couldn't sleep the night after, which sucked, because I had a 9 AM class.

He didn't say it was five minutes ago or just a couple days ago.. I thought it was vague and not really IC.. Awhille Maybe I don't have a point.. I don't know.. do I care if his PC died OOC? No.. I probably don't.. Am I looking for a lot of people I like IC but don't know if they are dead or not? Probably. Probably Not. If it was in the city, then There are usually people around that would tell people about it and those people would tell people and the chain just keeps going.

I love Destro...platonically.

COBRA LA!
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Quote from: "Krath"COBRA LA!
IC info. Please edit.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I mope around, bug imms (sorry bout that) about roles needing filled, then usually make a new app the same day or day after.

Some characters are easier to lose than others. And sometimes I hae a concept ready already and I don't pester imms.
Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 17, 2010, 07:55:28 PM
A glossy, black-shelled mantis says, in insectoid-accented sirihish,
  "You haven't picked enough cotton, friend."
Choose thy fate:

I used to care about every PC I played, but after taking a break from Arm I really could care less if they die now.  Lately, some of my PCs have had some really fun times in game, and some late night inspiration sessions while I've been trying to get to bed have brought out some fresh ideas I'd like to try, so now what is of paramount importance is the fun that happens while they're alive, and it's all about keeping things fun.  Getting all uppety about a PC dying isn't fun, isn't worthwhile.  There are too many sayings along the "water under the bridge" line of thought to care about when they die.  Think up something new and try it, get excited when one PC dies so you can try and push things a little more the next time.

I envy you, gfair.

I was wrong in my statement. Didnt sleep much the last two nights, and didnt even log onto my new character, mind kept circling around the things I wanted to do so badly. What really, really bugs me is that she was pregnant. I know its just a game, now someone tell this to this knot in my stomach.

Characters in arm are just as real as characters in a fiction book, or a movie.

It's not unreasonable to have feelings for these characters as you would in a book or in a movie.

I've had fiction books bring tears to my eyes before. Same with fiction movies.

But they never bring TOO much emotion. If they do, I tell myself, "Suck it up, you wuss, they're not REAL."

And i forget about it and keep moving.

Don't hang on to your chararacters, folks. They aren't real.

It is ok to grieve.  You lost something, and that sense of loss is real, even if what you lost was fictional.  You lost the opportunity to explore that role, and that loss is real.

Heh, at times I've wondered if my erdlu was ok after I died, and an erdlu is even less real than a PC. ;)

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "Angela Christine"
Heh, at times I've wondered if my erdlu was ok after I died, and an erdlu is even less real than a PC. ;)

As much as I am touched by your concern for my fellow Erdlu, AC, that is still very disturbing. ;)
Someone says, out of character:
     "no, the mace did not explode, that was his testicle"

Is it normal to still miss your last character after a week with the new, and not really enjoy the new character?

Yeah, but it give it time. I hated my new character after my first 'loved' PC died, but after a while I got into it.
Surrender!"
"You mean you wish to surrender to me? Very well, I accept."

What do I do when a loved PC of mine dies?

Well, usually my deaths are something completely retarded so I usually call another Armageddon player, talk about my death and swear I'll never play again. Then, after a cool down period of about 2 days I start wanting to play really bad that I just have to make a character and do anything.
ocking a fake scream, the badass scorpion exclaims to you, in
sirihish:
"Ah! Scorpions! I pissed my Wyvern trousers! Ah!"